5.0 vs 8.4 screens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I've got the back up screen as part of the rear view mirror. I would really like a larger screen, and a few other features, so I'm considering trading for a newer classic tradesman. There are some trucks available within about 1.5 hour from me that have the 5.0 inch screens; none with an 8.4.
So for those with the 5.0-inch screen, are you happy with it?

W4RL0CK

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've got the back up screen as part of the rear view mirror. I would really like a larger screen, and a few other features, so I'm considering trading for a newer classic tradesman. There are some trucks available within about 1.5 hour from me that have the 5.0 inch screens; none with an 8.4.
It gets the job done but I will upgrade it eventually. It’s kinda crazy that they still put that 5” in these big trucks; especially for the price of them.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
If you get the smaller screen it can be upgraded relatively easily...

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/to...&share_fid=17770&share_type=t&link_source=app

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 19 classic that came with the 5 inch screen, one of the reasons I bought a black truck over a white one. All the white ones had the camera display in the mirror. I have since upgraded to a 8.4, one reason being I couldn't see the backup camera very well. Too small and too far away. The camera is low resolution 4:3 aspect ratio. That means the picture is square even though the 5 inch screen is rectangular. You wind up with a small picture with black bars on the sides so in my opinion it's not much better than the display in the mirror.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Traded my 5.0 for a 10 inch screen. Much much better. My wifes 8.4 seems small now too.

OP
OP
T

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I would consider an 8.4 but haven't seen any Tradesman level trucks with that option. Even if the 5.0 is not the best resolution, wouldn't it still be better than the tiny mirror screen? Maybe something aftermarket would be an option?

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would consider an 8.4 but haven't seen any Tradesman level trucks with that option. Even if the 5.0 is not the best resolution, wouldn't it still be better than the tiny mirror screen? Maybe something aftermarket would be an option?
The 5 inch is definitly better than the 3. I just think because the camera projects a square image and doesn't fill up the screen you don't get that much bigger picture, especially since the radio screen is further away than the mirrior and you're looking at it at an angle at that. Another reason I upgraded from the 5 was the bluetooth responce is a little sluggish. See if you can find one in any trim level, even if its used, near you to test drive so you can actually see it for yourself.