5.2 dodge ram 1500...oops!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimmy6154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys, just came by here as I just had a huge oooops happen while replacing my head gaskets. It was my first time really getting into the engine this far.

Anyways I have the heads back in and all is good up to the point where I was about to start dry fitting my intake manifold.

I had the 1st bolt on the passenger side of the engine break on my when I was removing the intake. so I went in with a bolt and washer (new set I bought) to test the threads because they were all funked up and stuff. Welp bolt went no problem but when I was removing it, the washer fell off and sailed right down the water hole in the head. It was like a magnet was pulling it down because it was a perfect shot :crazy:

I went farther then I can see so that means that it went in the hole and made a right turn into the water passage.

the Washer is about as big as a dime. I stuck a magnet in there but to no avail.

Am I screwed? Do I have to get this thing out or can I run the truck with this thing in the abyss of the engine and not worry to much?

thanks in advance for the advice

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I would rent a telesopic camera and go after it. If you have a shop vac reduce the hose down to the diameter of a dime and gently slide it down in there, i would get the camera first to see where it is and try not to shove it down there any further.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jimmy6154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would do that but the hole makes a hard right downward turn, so the very end of anything I put in there has to be flexible. All the telescoping camera I've seen have a rigid end for about 2 inches that will make it impossible to put in there

I'll try the shop vac idea. I'm sure I can get some small hose to fit in there.

JUICEBOX

I don't read the script. The script reads me.
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yeah just affix a cheap funnel to the hose and attach a flexible hose on to it.

OP
OP
J

jimmy6154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So just a quick update here. I was able to get the washer out. I found a post from google where a guy bought a small strong magnate and drilled a hole in the center. then he attached a string to it and feed the string through a straw. This gave me better control over the magnate as I maneuvered it down and around the hole. After it reach the bottom, I removed the straw and slowly pulled the magnate up... and BINGO the washer was on the end!!!!!