5.2 just quits

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

glenwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
Hi guys,
I've had this Ram Sport 2wd 5.2 for about 12 years with the usual issues (valley pan gasket, trans rebuild).
About 4 years ago, I wen through a similar stint with the crank sensor and coil simultaneously. Been great since until recently. The fuel gauge was sometimes not reading until you filled it up. I figured the sender was the culprit.
A month ago or so, I noticed the truck take an extra second to start. I guess I'm hypersensitive but I know my truck and when something changes. That same day, it quit driving home from the store. Wouldn't start right away but did after 15 minutes. This cycle started again a week later and on an off daily. I suspected the fuel pump and changed the assembly. I noticed right away that it now takes a few seconds to start instead of the usual half turn. For two weeks no issues except the slightly longer starting...until last night.
Truck quit 4-5 times during a 30 km trip home, including while sitting in the driveway while checking it. The fuel pump sounds fine, turns over but wouldn't start. No codes or check engine light. I think the problem is on the spark side but I can't figure it out. The coil is new.
I swapped ASD relays, etc., but all seem fine to me.

Any ideas? I'm starting to think the PCM is faulty but shouldn't there be other signs? The only other issue I noticed is the outside temperature reading on the overhead console reads fine then after turning off the engine to say pop into the store, the temperature reading is much higher (and not accurate) after restarting. No connection to the random quitting that I can see.

OP
OP
G

glenwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
One thing I just remembered and thought was weird was the truck died and restarted while driving on the highway once. Several times in a row as if it was losing fuel or spark then regaining it while in motion. That's another reason I thought it was the fuel pump.

auskip07

Reaction score
Ram Year
s
Engine
s
reproduce the no start and then check for spark. Seems like its fairly common now so you shouldnt have trouble getting it to not start again

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Compass operation is normal. Get a fuel pressure gauge and see what it is. Should be around 49psi

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
I don't know if you've checked it out, but I had a similar situation earlier this year. Happened to be the camshaft positioning sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

glenwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
I don't know if you've checked it out, but I had a similar situation earlier this year. Happened to be the camshaft positioning sensor.

Did you get an error code with this problem? I thought the cam & crank sensors cause an error code when the fail.

OP
OP
G

glenwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
reproduce the no start and then check for spark. Seems like its fairly common now so you shouldnt have trouble getting it to not start again

It's pretty random and may take a while to reproduce. What makes it tough to diagnose is it might start up right after it stops or maybe after a few tries or maybe after 15 minutes. So much fun!

tommyboi87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 Magnum
Did you get an error code with this problem? I thought the cam & crank sensors cause an error code when the fail.
I think it came on once, but didn't stay on long enough to get the code.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
Ign coil or CKPS and no the CKPS is not known for setting a code in these trucks.

OP
OP
G

glenwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
Ign coil or CKPS and no the CKPS is not known for setting a code in these trucks.

I can't remember if I had codes or not when I changed it a few years ago but I'm starting to think I didn't get a code, because I started with the coil, then the cam sensor then two crank sensors as the first didn't work. The new coil from Napa was also faulty when it got real cold out. Put the old coil back on and no problems for several years. Maybe it's time to revisit the crank sensor.
Fuel pressure is 49 psi. I'll have to catch it when it fails again and see where it's at.

OP
OP
G

glenwood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Eco
I thought a follow up might help someone. I replaced the crank pos sensor which seems to have solved the problem. I'm surprised it failed again after replacing it 3 years ago. Changing it was much easier this time, knowing what to expect. I go to test the truck and the damn caliper seized...ugh! Off to Napa again.
The engine still turns over a bit longer then before so I'm guessing the ignition stuff is due for some servicing. Maybe the plugs need replacing.