Iridium plugs???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jh90731

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 Express 4x4 RegCab
Engine
hemi 5.7
I replaced my stock plugs at approx 70k as I noticed it started to take a few more seconds and several more turns of the starter before it fired up. I used NGK Rutheniums purchased from Rock Auto. I have about 35k on them now with no issues and I noticed a definite improvement overall. Might want to replace the rubber boots at the same time if you're planning to go another 100k on the new ones. Cheap insurance in my opinion.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bought a pump module assembly for my daughter's 2005 Mazda3. The "catch phrase" that decoyed me into buying it was their emblazonment of "LIFETIME WARRANTY". I ordered, paid for, and installed said pump, and everything was good to go.... for less than 1 year. When I went to claim warranty, I was referred to the pump's manufacturer. This irked me to seeing red. I was misled and deceived by this claim of "Lifetime Warranty" by this web site.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
So my 2016 5.7 hemi limited is @ 101500 , so I wanted to change the spark plugs. I saw in another post that if I went with Iridium ugs that the coil packs should be changed also? My plugs are all original and have searched me well, so before I pull one to see what they are. What do you all recommend? Brand/type? I must of been asleep for the last 30 years because there were only maybe 2 types the last time I have done plugs lol
My 2017 Ram 5.7 came with Iridium plugs so that what was put back at 99,000 miles. The plugs had little ware and could have gone much longer .

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
I bought a pump module assembly for my daughter's 2005 Mazda3. The "catch phrase" that decoyed me into buying it was their emblazonment of "LIFETIME WARRANTY". I ordered, paid for, and installed said pump, and everything was good to go.... for less than 1 year. When I went to claim warranty, I was referred to the pump's manufacturer. This irked me to seeing red. I was misled and deceived by this claim of "Lifetime Warranty" by this web site.
This is not a MAZDA forum. I guess you missed that?

OP
OP
jr27236

jr27236

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2017 Ram 5.7 came with Iridium plugs so that what was put back at 99,000 miles. The plugs had little ware and could have gone much longer .
My old ones were also in really good shape. They looked like I could of just cleaned them and put them back in. Although the new plugs seem to have improved the engine response and idling overall, also it doesn't seem to drone as much as it did before. MPG on highway says 16.5 which maybe the best I've seen on this truck.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This is not a MAZDA forum. I guess you missed that?
What are you talking about? I bought a 500 dollar fuel pump assembly from Rock Auto. Their advertisement was in bold print that the pump had a "Lifetime warranty" There was NO disclaimer that the warranty was to be administered by the manufacturer (Airtex). Airtex was NOTORIOUS for dragging out their warranty decision for over a year at that time; meanwhile, I had to buy ANOTHER unit elsewhere. I never pursued Rock Auto OR Airtex afterwards. I'd been misled/ deceived.
I took the entire thing as a lesson about buying on line. I do it now only through Ebay due to how well they've treated me. And that is only as a last resort when no local folks have what I need.

Forum??? I'm confused as to that.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I used to go to any chain auto parts store.

Like no matter whether i was working on a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler.

If i wanted a Water Pump, i would tell the clerk that i wanted one with a Lifetime Warranty.

He grabbed one & it read Lifetime Warranty
I bought it & installed it.
Less than 2 years later, the Seal started leaking.

I pulled it off, found the original box & receipt & set it on the parts counter, showed the receipt.
He looks at everything & remarked, That Company Went Out of Business.

The newly branded water pump, read Lifetime Warranty
Same Parent Company, different brand name

CanuckRam1313

Reaction score
Ram Year
2023 Warlock SLT
Engine
I put a set of NGK Ruthenium plugs in about 30,000 or more km's ago purchased from rock auto and they have been great.

I noticed my engine immediately ran smoother and fired up quicker and more crisply, if you get my sentiment.

I plan to use NGK Ruthenium on my next change too.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Just buy bosch Iridium replacement plugs. Expensive but you know what you are getting

I had a terrifying experience with NGK and will never use them again. Almost cost me a new top end / top end repair to say the least.

Got the NGK’s at a local auto zone.

One of the plugs the electrode and arm that the electrode arc’s off or were GONE! Went thru thr exhaust port ins some manner we assumed. Top of the piston probably looks like the moon. Or I got lucky and it went sailing fast with zero damage. Or ai have scratches on my cylinder wall.

I spent the heavy price tage for the exact OEM Bosch Iriduim plug number and never looked back.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

If i wanted a Water Pump, i would tell the clerk that i wanted one with a Lifetime Warranty.

I pulled it off, found the original box & receipt & set it on the parts counter, showed the receipt.

As we in the trade say "Lifetime Warranty? Yeah? WHOSE life?!".

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

My practical, professional experience goes like this: A vehicle comes into my automotive repair facility with, say, a leaky water pump. Regardless of the vehicle, the original part typically goes well over 100,000 miles upon it's failure.

Now, let's get into "insurance actuary" speak, shall we?! The manufacturers of "lifetime warranty" parts know laws of averages.... i.e., they're NOT stupid! Alright, Joe Blow goes to Big Bubba Tadsworth's Otto Parts store and buys the "Acme" lifetime warranty water pump.

These folks who manufacture said "lifetime" warranty water pump know the odds... The vehicle is near the end of it's life in the BIG demographic. Odds are HEAVILY in THEIR favor that the consumer will likely get rid of the vehicle, wreck it, or in some other unfortunate way, the vehicle will wind up as salvage.

Moreover, look at the disclaimer in that written warranty which basically says that you will get warranty only if the Earth is in retrograde to Venus at the exact time Mt. Krakatoa goes off.. In short, you must prove you flushed the cooling system and used distilled water and 50/50 coolant mix, etc.

Add to this the fact that the original part made it that far in spite of negligence by it's owner! See why I use factory parts as much as I can?

azmusclecar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good to know.....I returned what I felt were knock off plugs to AMAZON.
Using your experience I now know how to use local and get a good deal.

azmusclecar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I called advanced auto parts online sales customer service and they price match Rockauto and other online retailers!! So I went from $13:50 in-store to $6.56 and pickup in 30 minutes!! Figured I'd share this because that is a HUGE savings for me now and in the future. It was effortless also lol (I expected a big NO)
Good to know.....I returned what I felt were knock off plugs to AMAZON.
Using your experience I now know how to use local and get a good deal.