5.7 engine timing correct ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Propanedr

Propanedr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks, ill proceed with the tear down again. i cant do the finger over the spark plug hole trick because of bent valves on that cylinder.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
You guys make me feel like such a dummy!

OP
OP
Propanedr

Propanedr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IT RUNS !! woo hoo ! got it running yesterday. I want to thank everyone that helped guide me through this. it really is not that hard now that i look at it.

I know where i failed and i hope whoever reads this will learn from my mistakes.

First, I read on the web there are a few guides that walk you through the cam swap process. Some say place the timing chain mark with the single mark at 12:00 and the double marks at 6:00. I followed the wrong one at first. I even saw a You tube video that says line em up with the dots pointing at each other. (6:000 on cam and 12:00 on crank). I'm not sure if this method works so i didn't try it.

The correct way is the double marks at 12:00 and single mark at 6:00.

Next make sure you torque down the cam bolt. This was one of my many mistakes. If you forget to torque down the cam bolt, the cam phaser will slip and shear off the cam dowel pin. Ask me how i know this.

Take your time and don't rush it like i did several times. Make sure you have checked everything before you spin over the motor. Like it was suggested I turned the motor over by hand several dozen times and watched every valve move up and down. After turning it over and over, i did it again just to line up my timing marks with the timing chain marks. This was about another 30 revolution of the timing chain.

I cant say thank you enough. This has been a very long project for me. i have to put the rest of the truck back together and hopefully ill be on the road soon !

aslaught3r45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im going through the same issue. I’ve set my timing marks on the gears at 12 on the cam and 6 on the crank. Am I supposed to go off of the cam pin for timing? If I do so, then the cam gear mark will be at 9’oclock position

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im going through the same issue. I’ve set my timing marks on the gears at 12 on the cam and 6 on the crank. Am I supposed to go off of the cam pin for timing? If I do so, then the cam gear mark will be at 9’oclock position

The MMX Youtube Video covers how to time and what tools you need to time these engines.