5.7 w/Warranty or ED with 8/125

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devin1349

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
take a look at the 2500 6.4 I think it will be what you need not as expensive as a 6.7 CTD, but pulls more than both the 5.7 Hemi and the 3.0 ECO plus if you go 3/4 ton you can get the crew cab 6'4 bed which i think is the best set up in my opinion.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
To the OP,not sure why everyone is trying to push into a 3/4 ton when you specifically asked about the 1/2 ton. Those number will work well with either 1/2 ton you have listed.

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
To the OP,not sure why everyone is trying to push into a 3/4 ton when you specifically asked about the 1/2 ton. Those number will work well with either 1/2 ton you have listed.
Thank you. Excellent response. I caught your original response with motor critique and I think you're spot on. Choose your poison. Lol

For us, it's really a tough choice only because there's no bad one. In a perfect world the ED would be a $1500 premium over the Hemi and this thread wouldn't be here. As noted in my first post, the Hemi has a big advantage with the available warranty. If something happens in Iowa, at 125k, it's covered and we'd just have to suffer time loss as a result. As vehicles across the board hold their values far better today than in the past, the warranty should cover us for, at least, 12-15 years before the value gets to a point where Chrysler would pay out the value of the vehicle and end the warranty. Having had a 2002 F150 with the 5.4 v8, I know what 13mpg around town feels like and it simply sucks. But, it's all part of the RV lifestyle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thank you. Excellent response. I caught your original response with motor critique and I think you're spot on. Choose your poison. Lol

For us, it's really a tough choice only because there's no bad one. In a perfect world the ED would be a $1500 premium over the Hemi and this thread wouldn't be here. As noted in my first post, the Hemi has a big advantage with the available warranty. If something happens in Iowa, at 125k, it's covered and we'd just have to suffer time loss as a result. As vehicles across the board hold their values far better today than in the past, the warranty should cover us for, at least, 12-15 years before the value gets to a point where Chrysler would pay out the value of the vehicle and end the warranty. Having had a 2002 F150 with the 5.4 v8, I know what 13mpg around town feels like and it simply sucks. But, it's all part of the RV lifestyle.

Yea I know what I typed previously about the comparison and thought it sounded Smug (which wasn't the intent) so I deleted it.
The Hemi is a solid proven motor.. It has some issues like I described earlier, but in general its a proven design. The eco suffered from premature engine failure for a while, But then again so didn't a sampling of the 6.4 when it was introduced. Personally I would get a Ford Ecoboost before the Eco Diesel, it produces as much torque at the same RPMS as the diesel but about 120 more HP. Fuel Mileage is a Tad better than the Hemi (sometimes) I really loved mine, and would still have it if not for the desire to get into a 3/4 ton.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
KLTK1, so which are you leaning to ?

OP
OP
K

kltk1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
KLTK1, so which are you leaning to ?
Well, here's the last bit of information on my scenario, and it's important. In December 2016, I took delivery of a 2016 Ram 1500 QC, 3.6 Pentastar, 3.55 gears. I'm good for 7400lbs towing but limited to 12,900lbs GCWR. My wife and I just had this discussion a few minutes ago and my feeling is that I REALLY wanna keep what I have. It's everything I want, and need, and nothing I don't. When I purchased the truck getting back into the RV lifestyle wasn't anywhere near the radar. Then we had a phenomenal road trip with our grandchildren through the month of June and my wife wants to get back in to RV'ing with the boys. I don't disagree but understand depreciation well enough to proceed cautiously.

All that said, we both just agreed today that having the warranty is worth more than the money saved on fuel. Again, if we're with the kids and the transmission fails at 135k in Texas, we're covered and won't have to lay out $4k to get home, or continue the trip. So, if we get a new truck it'll be a Hemi with 3.55 or 3.92 gears. I could do 3.21 but if I'm making the move I might as well add some cushion. If I was to go to a larger trailer, we'd go 3/4 ton.

Luckily, I stopped in to the RV dealer today to look at a lighter trailer but really didn't like it. They offered to hook up the Flagstaff 25BRDS and let us take it down the road before deciding. That's a big deal for us, and will take advantage of that offer, as we were going to rent a trailer for a day somewhere else to see how my truck would handle 5000lbs plus passengers. When we do the test ride, probably in September, I'll report back how it went. The road leading to the RV dealer is perfect for a test drive as it has long straights, a few long hills, local stop and go and a good 55mph zone to test the truck. I'll know after this test what I'll be doing. Thanks, everyone. Keep watching.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
good deal. the V6 is a great engine. you will just have to pay closer action to weight of your gear who loading. no doubt you can make this work. since it is a 16, i believe you can still add a lifetime warranty. i hope your test ride goes smooth. find the longest biggest hill you can.

Jared26

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
And you know this how? From Shawn rantings? Who was suspected of injecting water/methanol when he had his timing issue? Not to mention countless other tinkerings he did to his truck?
The same type of cam gear set up is used in many motor designs and there are a lot of EcoDiesels that that are pushing that kind of mileage(some even more) and timing issue of any sorts is very rare. You forgot to include about how the turbo needs to be replaced at 100K miles also...not.

The EcoDiesel was intended for more fuel economy than brut towing force like the Cummins.
With only 26 gallons of fuel would you like to race? The finish line is at the next gas station 700 miles away.

I have no idea who Shawn Rantings is, I do know that it's been a problem for quite a few Ecodiesel owners and even last time I was at the dealer there was one going into the service department sounding like hell.

The issue is the cam gear is just pressed on, it's not keyed, doesn't have any dowels to my understanding which is absolutely stupid. It's just pressed on and bolted to the cam, makes sense that if it starts popping up on quite a few it will be an issue for most due to poor design.

Also the OP was asking about towing which is why I brought it up, obviously it's not meant to compete with a Cummins in the towing department.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Price, a 3/4 ton ram Can be had for damn near the price of a 1/2 ton ram. I looked at a eco boost that was 44k before tax and said F That.. Then the ram 1500 I looked at was only 2k less than the 3/4 ton. Made financial
Sense for my self to get the 3/4 ton.

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Price, a 3/4 ton ram Can be had for damn near the price of a 1/2 ton ram. I looked at a eco boost that was 44k before tax and said F That.. Then the ram 1500 I looked at was only 2k less than the 3/4 ton. Made financial
Sense for my self to get the 3/4 ton.

Yea I get that, BUT. with the 3/4 ton comes a rougher ride, typically less fuel economy, etc.. Its typically a less friendly ride when not towing, At least mine is.
You can find deals on Ecoboosts out there just like you can on Rams, make no mistake all manufactures feel their vehicles are made of gold and are priced as such. Never in my life thought Id see a day where a Diesel pickup truck would be pushing 80K..

At any rate sounds like the Op is thinking he may stay with what he has, or go with the Hemi..seems like a good choice for him.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
We all gave some solid advice for the op to consider. Let's see what happens after he uses his current ram to take the trailer for a test ride.

goldtr8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I own a 2013 Ram with a hemi and 3:21 gears and an 8 speed.

My TT is 30 ft long nose to bumper and weighs ~6.5k fully loaded. When fully loaded I am right there for max payload for my truck. Thats me the wife the cats and other junk.

The truck handles it with no issues at all at its rated values. Fuel milage towing at 65 is between 7 and 10 (I have mud tires which lowered mpg). I tow at 65 as the speed rating of ST tires is 65 and most folks dont know that.

I have worn out the original wrangler tires and went with a load range e tire to get stiffer sidewalls and higher load capacity and slightly larger cooper stt pro. This dropped my day to day milage and also towing mileage. These tires are ~4% less revs per mile so gearing has changed slightly.

When towing the 8 speed on the highway is between 5th and 6th gear you never get to the overdrive gears with the 3:21 and tow haul. If I could have the 3:92 with the 8 speed I would get it. But I am not sure with the 8 speed it would make a difference.

So based on the OP's origional post, for day to day driving this truck is awsome, I get 18 ish mpg with the mudder tires, it was closer to 20 before the change. It tows my TT with no issues and I have to limit myself to 65 and I have towed in the mountains out west and that hemi can move up the big hills no issues plenty of glory and guts. So if he stays with that size camper 1500 no issues.

I also have the maxcare lifetime and I am getting some issues like a radio replacement in my near future and spending $100 deductible is nice.

One other comment besides load range e tires I am going to add timbrem bump stops to the rear in the near future to eliminate some of the squat when fully loaded.