5.7 whine on cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 15 laramie 5.7 has developed a loud whine during cold startup when bitter cold out. Started doing it a few weeks ago and only does it when its bitter cold such as 15 degrees or below only on a cold start. It only lasts for 10-20 seconds then goes away. I noticed it doesn't when its moderately cold such as 32 or warmer. I can hear it easily above my exhaust and I have a muffler delete on my duels. I don't know if its a belt issue ect....

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it’s a whine it sounds like your alternator might be starting to get weak. The cold will definitely amplify that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If it’s a whine it sounds like your alternator might be starting to get weak. The cold will definitely amplify that.

Would you recommend going to dodge and getting it tested and looked at? Because I know they won't be able to "replicate" the sound so I'm not playing that stupid game with them.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Subscribed, experiencing the same issue.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would you recommend going to dodge and getting it tested and looked at? Because I know they won't be able to "replicate" the sound so I'm not playing that stupid game with them.

You don’t have to go to dodge you can just remove it and take it to autozone.

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You don’t have to go to dodge you can just remove it and take it to autozone.

Thought about that just now as well. Situation depending on what happens monday I'll be doing that. If it comes down to that I'm going to make sure they know I'm not going to do it myself and have them pull some bs saying I voided my warranty in some way.

mpress2570

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thought about that just now as well. Situation depending on what happens monday I'll be doing that. If it comes down to that I'm going to make sure they know I'm not going to do it myself and have them pull some bs saying I voided my warranty in some way.

If you have a warranty then call your dealer and talk to them. Ask them to test it.

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have a warranty then call your dealer and talk to them. Ask them to test it.

Thats my plan. I'll advise what the verdict is as soon as I find out either way.

yoda

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
If the only issue is a whine when cold, testing the alternator is probably going to be a waste of time. It will pass. You need to get under the hood with a mechanics stethoscope and figure out what is making the noise, when it is doing it. The serpentine idler pulleys making noise cold are fairly common too.

Damion

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My ‘16 does the same. Only when it’s very cold out. For what it’s worth the wife’s Jeep renegade does the same thing.

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is the second issue I've had since I bought this truck thats unusual and annoying. First was the annoying ass hum/whine while in reverse now this....Hmmmmm.....

Last edited:

Wise

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Glad I'm not the only one. I thought it was a fluke when it happened to me as it went away fairly quick.

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Wifes 2014 journey does it too. I've never started my truck that cold so I don't know if it does.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
I don't think I've ever had a vehicle that didn't make some odd noises on start-up in the bitter cold.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I don't think I've ever had a vehicle that didn't make some odd noises on start-up in the bitter cold.

Granted all vehicles have some kind of engine tick. But as others have stated its just obnoxiously LOUD.

Rampant

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Granted all vehicles have some kind of engine tick. But as others have stated its just obnoxiously LOUD.
It's obviously something in the accessory drive. Yoda gave solid advice with the stethoscope... that's really the only way to pinpoint it.

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's obviously something in the accessory drive. Yoda gave solid advice with the stethoscope... that's really the only way to pinpoint it.

Come Monday I’m going to call the dealership just to see what they say. But in the mean time I’ll try that out and see if I see anything.

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Pinpoint the dealer will...

Dealer- “Engine making not noise understand you”. Me -“p*ss off will now you”. The humor is appreciated having had my fair share of knock down drag outs with stealerships.