5.7 whine on cold startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeltaFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had the same issue with my 2012 outdoorsman and it got worse with time. Whined all the time, warm or cold. It had just over 88,000 miles and a month past the warranty end date. Sounded like it was the alternator, it wasn’t. Suspect it’s the power steering pump. Never will know because I traded it off for a 2018.

Hot94Z28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine makes a sound too, sounds like the tensioner pulley.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's below 15 degrees, cold start, and the engine whines for 10 seconds.

If only my life was that care free, that I had time to worry about such minuscule things.

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It's below 15 degrees, cold start, and the engine whines for 10 seconds.

If only my life was that care free, that I had time to worry about such minuscule things.

I hear ya. Like I said I know engines make noise. I traded my 4yr raptor with 100k that I drove the wheels off of and never had that. I have an eco boost patrol truck for work that gets driven even harder with 90k. When I say this sound is obnoxious it’s exactly that. My coworker has a 17 ram special service patrol truck along with a 14 ram SLT with 115k and neither of his trucks do it. I didn’t trade for a 45k truck to have it sound like the local crack heads. It went 2 solid months without doing it and just started a few weeks ago so something is off. Just seeing if their were any answers out there.

Last edited:

averageguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
That's what her Journey sounds like is a power steering pump. Does a Journey or a Ram even have a power steering pump?

Buddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yep, mine has a whine at initial startup on very cold days/nights as well, it is obnoxious for sure. But when I'm at work and it's even remotely cold out I keep my truck plugged in, and no matter how brutally cold out it is, as long as it's been plugged in, it doesn't squeal.

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yep, mine has a whine at initial startup on very cold days/nights as well, it is obnoxious for sure. But when I'm at work and it's even remotely cold out I keep my truck plugged in, and no matter how brutally cold out it is, as long as it's been plugged in, it doesn't squeal.
I miss my engine block heater! Thanks for the response man

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is the second issue I've had since I bought this truck thats unusual and annoying. First was the annoying ass hum/whine while in reverse now this....Hmmmmm.....

I have the noise in reverse too . Any word on if it’s normal or ok. ?

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2015 does it when it’s really cold out too. Obnoxious, yes. But goes away. I know many with that issue .

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the noise in reverse too . Any word on if it’s normal or ok. ?

Yes, I told the dealer I wanted them to check out that hum in reverse. After my apt they talked to me and gave me paper work that said "the customer stated the pickup makes a humming/whine while in reverse". The head technician took the vehicle to the parking and was able to recreate the noise since it was constant. The took a 16 laramie on the lot, drove it in reverse and it made the same humming noise. They checked to see if their were any TSB in regards to it and their were none. They told me to come back if it worsens. Like I said all of this was on my paperwork and their wasn't much I could do to argue the fact after speaking with the service manager and the head tech. We'll see what happens.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, I told the dealer I wanted them to check out that hum in reverse. After my apt they talked to me and gave me paper work that said "the customer stated the pickup makes a humming/whine while in reverse". The head technician took the vehicle to the parking and was able to recreate the noise since it was constant. The took a 16 laramie on the lot, drove it in reverse and it made the same humming noise. They checked to see if their were any TSB in regards to it and their were none. They told me to come back if it worsens. Like I said all of this was on my paperwork and their wasn't much I could do to argue the fact after speaking with the service manager and the head tech. We'll see what happens.

I guess if a brand new one does it u can’t really argue .... I’ve had the same experience of various noises (knocks on cold start , whine when cold, and now ur symptom of rear end hummibg in reverse ) that have been trumped with brand new vehicles doing same thing .... eases my nerves a bit . ESP since I’ve pretty much voided my warranty with mods lol atleast it’s documented and been addressed ....

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I guess if a brand new one does it u can’t really argue .... I’ve had the same experience of various noises (knocks on cold start , whine when cold, and now ur symptom of rear end hummibg in reverse ) that have been trumped with brand new vehicles doing same thing .... eases my nerves a bit . ESP since I’ve pretty much voided my warranty with mods lol atleast it’s documented and been addressed ....

Thats exactly right. Some of these seem to be a non-issue for ram if they aren't being corrected for whatever reason. But yes, we are experiencing the same go around when it comes to these "normal" problems. But hey like they say, you gotta play to play! That was my motto with my raptor! Its worth making your truck yours no doubt.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thats exactly right. Some of these seem to be a non-issue for ram if they aren't being corrected for whatever reason. But yes, we are experiencing the same go around when it comes to these "normal" problems. But hey like they say, you gotta play to play! That was my motto with my raptor! Its worth making your truck yours no doubt.

Yea it is . I’ve looked into trading all week. For a new ram with 3.92 gears (rebel) only to realize it’s a waste of money to have a truck that doesn’t look nearly as good as I’ve made mine .... the money they get for these including the taxes is insane ...I only owe $20k on my ‘15 with 18000 mi on it .... I’d lose my ass to have a truck with a warranty ...

my truck may have avoided warranty but if something happens that I need to get a new engine at my cost , it’s still cheaper in the long run than buying a new one! And the new ones don’t look like this ;-) and don’t have likely tubes or exhaust etc ...and the interior is nothing better than what I have now even being 3years newer. So my impulse buy and neuroticism was quickly replaced with a jolt of common sense and reason ;-) I feel like I won 20 grand lol

Nothin like a visit to a dealership to bring you back down to reality ;-)

348a074352a11252432d95cef356dec8.jpg

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yea it is . I’ve looked into trading all week. For a new ram with 3.92 gears (rebel) only to realize it’s a waste of money to have a truck that doesn’t look nearly as good as I’ve made mine .... the money they get for these including the taxes is insane ...I only owe $20k on my ‘15 with 18000 mi on it .... I’d lose my ass to have a truck with a warranty ...

my truck may have avoided warranty but if something happens that I need to get a new engine at my cost , it’s still cheaper in the long run than buying a new one! And the new ones don’t look like this ;-) and don’t have likely tubes or exhaust etc ...and the interior is nothing better than what I have now even being 3years newer. So my impulse buy and neuroticism was quickly replaced with a jolt of common sense and reason ;-) I feel like I won 20 grand lol

Nothin like a visit to a dealership to bring you back down to reality ;-)

348a074352a11252432d95cef356dec8.jpg

Hell yeah man. I hear ya! Dealerships make their money on pickup hungry addicts like you and I! That’s what happened when I bought my raptor. I had my 13ecoboost for less than a yr then said screw it im buying my dream truck! I took a hit considering I put down 10 grand for my eco. But I don’t regret it! It was worth it because well....it was a raptor!!! Lol but as we know you’ll always want something new. But moding your truck is well worth the cash and risk because it just is. But I’m loving the murdered look and the custom headlights! Sick ride. I’m honestly not a fan of the 19 rebels. The body looks pretty standard with rebel the rebel wheels, grill ect. But to each their own. If you trade up. Go SVT! I know I’m going to after I have this truck paid off. I miss that truck like crazy.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hell yeah man. I hear ya! Dealerships make their money on pickup hungry addicts like you and I! That’s what happened when I bought my raptor. I had my 13ecoboost for less than a yr then said screw it im buying my dream truck! I took a hit considering I put down 10 grand for my eco. But I don’t regret it! It was worth it because well....it was a raptor!!! Lol but as we know you’ll always want something new. But moding your truck is well worth the cash and risk because it just is. But I’m loving the murdered look and the custom headlights! Sick ride. I’m honestly not a fan of the 19 rebels. The body looks pretty standard with rebel the rebel wheels, grill ect. But to each their own. If you trade up. Go SVT! I know I’m going to after I have this truck paid off. I miss that truck like crazy.

Ywa one day I'll have a raptor bro! Those are NNNaaaaassssty!!! I def would want the 6.2L who knows what theyl have for raptors in 8 years by the time I'm ready ! (Gonna get my monies worth ) Lol but I'll enjoy the hemi til then! My.buddy has a jakd up eco boost and the lack of v8 noise is Killin him lol

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ywa one day I'll have a raptor bro! Those are NNNaaaaassssty!!! I def would want the 6.2L who knows what theyl have for raptors in 8 years by the time I'm ready ! (Gonna get my monies worth ) Lol but I'll enjoy the hemi til then! My.buddy has a jakd up eco boost and the lack of v8 noise is Killin him lol

No joke man! I miss that 6.2 roar though, A LOT! You ever ridden in one before? But yeah live it up and enjoy it. I will say thats the one thing I like about the hemi compared to the eco is the v8. Gotta love it. It was definitely a change at first but since I did my muffler delete I can't complain.

BEAST19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never ridden in a 6.2L would love to tho! So a muffler delete gsve ur eco a V8 sound? I'll let my.buddy know if so

OP
OP
slorammy

slorammy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My bad, I worded that wrong and you misunderstood me. I meant that I did the muffler delete to my ram! But as for my eco I personally didnt like the sound of it even with an exhaust system. But I had a good buddy who installed the Borla ATAK and personally I think that exhaust sounds the best for whats on the market! Have him take a look at some youtube videos on it.

Cosmos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My 2012 did that whine too. I replaced the Serpentine belt while I redid the manifold tick and it went away.

Roadhouse71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L
It's the nature of the beast. Mine Does it my sons does it. Only on mornings that are really really cold. It charges just fine, it just makes noise. So loud i can hear it in the house while warming up.