5.7k ram w/ 6 speed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Do they make external trans coolers for these? Will be pulling a cherokee on a car trailer a couple hours each way.

Thank you

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just to be clear, the truck has a factory transmission cooler. If you put another one on it would be for auxilliary cooling. Are you sure it really needs extra cooling?
I don't know why you couldn't put on a universal cooler. Haven't researched this vehicle specifically, but many years ago all of the aftermarket coolers were universal fit.

OP
OP
J

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Just to be clear, the truck has a factory transmission cooler. If you put another one on it would be for auxilliary cooling. Are you sure it really needs extra cooling?
I don't know why you couldn't put on a universal cooler. Haven't researched this vehicle specifically, but many years ago all of the aftermarket coolers were universal fit.
I'm not sure I need it no... but the trans runs at 175 unloaded so I figure pulling a jeep on a trailer will get it up there.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not sure I need it no... but the trans runs at 175 unloaded so I figure pulling a jeep on a trailer will get it up there.
Well, not necessarily. Not exactly how those systems work. Not much different than saying that your engine runs at 205 while driving empty so it will get a lot hotter towing a load....

OP
OP
J

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Well, not necessarily. Not exactly how those systems work. Not much different than saying that your engine runs at 205 while driving empty so it will get a lot hotter towing a load....
well i know that. but i just feel like it will get hot. its the express package with the high gears. not ideal for towing

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe there maybe a thermostat block that keeps the trans fluid warmer on these trucks. The make a bypass for the thermostat block that will keep the transmission cooler.
@Wild one knows which years have the thermostat block on the 66RFE

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I believe there maybe a thermostat block that keeps the trans fluid warmer on these trucks. The make a bypass for the thermostat block that will keep the transmission cooler.
@Wild one knows which years have the thermostat block on the 66RFE
Burla knows more about the RFE thermostat bypass then i do,i know they do make one for the RFE though.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
so who would i talk to about getting a bypass?
Let's see if @Burla chimes in.
I believe the 66RFE and 68RFE can use the same bypass block. I'm sure a few more people will chime in.

FYI: the 66RFE is behind the gas motors, the 68RFE is behind the Cummins diesel, but they're both from the similar RFE family of transmissions.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Do they make external trans coolers for these? Will be pulling a cherokee on a car trailer a couple hours each way.

Thank you
Contrary to popular belief, I'm not sure where it is located on the 5.7, both the 5.7 and 6.4 have them, and yes if you do get it off asap. I'll punt to @Hemi395 , he knows for sure. Even if you are in cold plac e where you can argue in favor of them, eventually the clog and there goes the transmission. I do believe in this case they are all the same, diesel, 6.4 or 5.7. Look up rfe thermal bypass block threads, tons of info there as far as which ones are great, this is what one looks like they are plug and play.

Look under the truck or in front for something that looks like this... So you pop off the old one and pop on the new one, jeff afulmotion-spelling- I believe has a dyi thread in it, you may lose a couple drips with the change. This stops the pumping of temp into the fluid and ends the worry about the pending fail when they clog, worry free after this is on.

s-l1600.png

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
here is jeffs video... so if you see that valve or find that valve, it is this simple. Not sure but I think corey will tell you this is in a different location, up in the engine bay around your cooler. I would have done this but in 2010 we didnt get this garbage. This was the 6.4 location.

OP
OP
J

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
here is jeffs video... so if you see that valve or find that valve, it is this simple. Not sure but I think corey will tell you this is in a different location, up in the engine bay around your cooler. I would have done this but in 2010 we didnt get this garbage. This was the 6.4 location.

Awsome! Where do you get this bypass? Where do I buy

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is a link in that post amazon, first locate it so you know you have one.

WE dont know your truck, if it is a 2500 my guess is 99% you have one, the 1500's seam to be a mystery as most of post 2014 came with 8 speed, we do know those classics are out there but not a lot known about them.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
so who would i talk to about getting a bypass?
Look through the pass side of your grill,in the upper corner if you see an aluminium block roughly a couple inches square,with 4 good sized hard lines running to it,you have the thermostat block.That's where it was on my old 13 with the RFE transmission.I bypassed it with transmission cooler line,but that was long before you could buy plug-n-play bypasses,now they are the way to go,instead of doing it the old school way i did it

OP
OP
J

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
There is a link in that post amazon, first locate it so you know you have one.

WE dont know your truck, if it is a 2500 my guess is 99% you have one, the 1500's seam to be a mystery as most of post 2014 came with 8 speed, we do know those classics are out there but not a lot known about them.
Gotcha. Mine is a 17 6 speed. Canada truck

OP
OP
J

jcash414

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l
Look through the pass side of your grill,in the upper corner if you see an aluminium block roughly a couple inches square,with 4 good sized hard lines running to it,you have the thermostat block.That's where it was on my old 13 with the RFE transmission.I bypassed it with transmission cooler line,but that was long before you could buy plug-n-play bypasses,now they are the way to go,instead of doing it the old school way i did it
Is this it?

Attachments

• 20231102_205928.jpg
    20231102_205928.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 26