5.9 or diesel or other; half ton or 3/4 ton

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I currently own a 2002 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 5.9 motor which has 288,000 miles on it having used it as my company truck for 12 years and it has been pretty darn dependable. We have made several runs from Oklahoma to NJ or Denver with only a pinion seal repair in Denver. I rebuilt the transmission about 100,000 miles ago. I bought and installed the extended mirrors planning to use the existing truck to pull a a used 26' travel trailer that we bought after which I was laid off shortly thereafter so our vacation plans were put on hold. I had to take a new job in Denver for the time being but plan to do the semi-retirement idea a try in the few years to come. My question is should I invest in a used newer half ton or go with a 3/4 ton and should I go gas or the dependable Cummins Turbo Diesel, OR will my 5.9 go another 100,000 dependably? How many mile vehicle should I be looking at to purchase that will give me 100,000 mile lifespan with little repairs. I currently have a company truck so my Dodge only accrues about 5,000 miles or less a year now.
I would appreciate any constructive input.

Thanks,

OldGuy

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I ran about 150k on my 2003 2500 gas I bought new, parents running it now with 25 travel trailer. My new 2018 2500 gas was a birthday present to myself. Previously had a 1994 1500 gas. Diesel has its uses, not sure you need for low miles and that size trailer but it really is your truck to buy, so enjoy whatever you choose. 1500 will ride smoother and with right set up should do fine for that trailer, but check all weights to be sure and use a weight distribution hitch and away bar. If buying new, currently you can get great financing, but I honestly got a much better deal last October buying my leftover 2018 than my friends are finding right now as they look. Keeping current truck is an option as I read stories here of new trucks with problems, some major. In the end they are all machines and things happen. Good luck.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
The EPA emissions carp have killed diesels for me. The Cummins needs to work and needs some good hwy runs for exhaust regenerations. Low mileage grocery getter Cummins turbo is generally not a good idea.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The EPA emissions carp have killed diesels for me. The Cummins needs to work and needs some good hwy runs for exhaust regenerations. Low mileage grocery getter Cummins turbo is generally not a good idea.

My experience has been exactly the opposite. But the early 4th gen emissions systems were a failure IMHO.

However, to the OP I would suggest that if you were ever to consider a larger trailer, and given the fact that your current truck is getting a bit long in the tooth, my suggestion is to find a 2012 - 2016 Cummins powered 2500. Give yourself some payload and towing room to grow into should you move up to your next trailer.

The emissions systems in the early 4th gen trucks, 2009 - 2011, were problematic and I'd say steer clear of those.

That's my 0.02 and I wish you luck with your decision.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
My experience has been exactly the opposite. But the early 4th gen emissions systems were a failure IMHO.

However, to the OP I would suggest that if you were ever to consider a larger trailer, and given the fact that your current truck is getting a bit long in the tooth, my suggestion is to find a 2012 - 2016 Cummins powered 2500. Give yourself some payload and towing room to grow into should you move up to your next trailer.

The emissions systems in the early 4th gen trucks, 2009 - 2011, were problematic and I'd say steer clear of those.

Good to know assuming you do 5000 miles a year mostly short runs around town.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
If you want to buy used, and run up an additional 100k relatively trouble free, I’d say Cummins. The important stuff on emissions has been said.

Hemi engines don’t have the same rock solid reputation, unfortunately. Some go the distance, but there’s the lifter situation that seems to fail at random mileage.

You definitely don’t want an ecodiesel used.

On the Cummins side, if towing is your goal, skip the 2500 and go straight to a 3500 for more GVW. I’m a fan of 3500 SRW myself, but it depends on your needs / wants. A 3500 gives you the flexibility to consider fifth wheels later or to carry heavy loads in the bed and tow.

Insofar as getting another 100k from your truck, why not get a survey done by a trusted mechanic? It’s worth paying a couple of hours time considering the amount of money on the line.

Smokeybear01

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Everyone that chimes in here is probably biased toward what has worked for them. Guilty as charged. The thought of buying a truck with a gas engine just gives me heartburn. I like my DRWs and I definitely like my Cummins. If you're running light, the Cummins gets some pretty decent fuel mileage. But only you can decide what will work for you. It sounds like your current truck isn't giving you any problems yet so I would consider keeping it a while longer, especially since you're putting so few miles/year on it. All trucks that are driven to church on Sundays and to pick up groceries during the week are under used and seem to develop nickel and dime problems no matter gas or diesel or 1/2T or 1T. Good luck and keep us posted,

OP
OP
oldguyokiehomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
I ran about 150k on my 2003 2500 gas I bought new, parents running it now with 25 travel trailer. My new 2018 2500 gas was a birthday present to myself. Previously had a 1994 1500 gas. Diesel has its uses, not sure you need for low miles and that size trailer but it really is your truck to buy, so enjoy whatever you choose. 1500 will ride smoother and with right set up should do fine for that trailer, but check all weights to be sure and use a weight distribution hitch and away bar. If buying new, currently you can get great financing, but I honestly got a much better deal last October buying my leftover 2018 than my friends are finding right now as they look. Keeping current truck is an option as I read stories here of new trucks with problems, some major. In the end they are all machines and things happen. Good luck.
Thank you for your reply. I have pulled the trailer only a couple hundred miles. We have the load leveller and sway bar. It really makes a difference pulling with or without. We plan on keeping present truck since we know all its had done but just not sure about its continued capabilities especially adding the trailer. We have 10 ply ALL-Terrains which when the truck is empty, does well except for I-70 in the mountains. I have to lower tire pressure or it shifta right or left at bridges.

OP
OP
oldguyokiehomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas

Thank you for your reply. I will take your info to heart about the 2012-2016 era. Every little bit helps. Thanks again.

OP
OP
oldguyokiehomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
If you want to buy used, and run up an additional 100k relatively trouble free, I’d say Cummins. The important stuff on emissions has been said.

Hemi engines don’t have the same rock solid reputation, unfortunately. Some go the distance, but there’s the lifter situation that seems to fail at random mileage.

You definitely don’t want an ecodiesel used.

On the Cummins side, if towing is your goal, skip the 2500 and go straight to a 3500 for more GVW. I’m a fan of 3500 SRW myself, but it depends on your needs / wants. A 3500 gives you the flexibility to consider fifth wheels later or to carry heavy loads in the bed and tow.

Insofar as getting another 100k from your truck, why not get a survey done by a trusted mechanic? It’s worth paying a couple of hours time considering the amount of money on the line.

I agree with your last statement, but will a private seller allow me to run away with his truck for an evaluation?

Truth be known I had thought about a PowerStroke 3500 also. But yes, a 3500 is my true passion weight class.

OP
OP
oldguyokiehomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
Everyone that chimes in here is probably biased toward what has worked for them. Guilty as charged. The thought of buying a truck with a gas engine just gives me heartburn. I like my DRWs and I definitely like my Cummins. If you're running light, the Cummins gets some pretty decent fuel mileage. But only you can decide what will work for you. It sounds like your current truck isn't giving you any problems yet so I would consider keeping it a while longer, especially since you're putting so few miles/year on it. All trucks that are driven to church on Sundays and to pick up groceries during the week are under used and seem to develop nickel and dime problems no matter gas or diesel or 1/2T or 1T. Good luck and keep us posted,

I guess I can continue using the 1500 QC tills it "Rides the Bus". I am in the mountains now and just wonder what it would be like to suffer a breakdown in the mountains on I-70. I think it would suck big time. I guess that could happen with any machine. Fear of the unknown. I plan on using the future truck (Diesel) for towing only and wanted to keep the 1500 for around town. My wife drives a 2004 Ranger std tranny V6 so we have our economy rig still in service. Thank you for your reply.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Since my past 2 employers have given me a f150 to drive, my truck gets very little usage since 2015. I think 5,000 may be too much.

Well most Cummins guys have regen issues without long drives.

OP
OP
oldguyokiehomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 gas
What size is your gas engine? Is the Hemi Tuff Enuf?

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What size is your gas engine? Is the Hemi Tuff Enuf?
I had the 5.7 Hemi, and rabbit hard. Pulled trailers with rocks, dirt, mulch, pulled large boats and U-Haul trailers from NY to Chicago, pulled my Parent's 5th wheel. It was bullet proof.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500