50k miles - what’s worth it to do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My truck is a 2014 Sport 5.7 and it just hit 50600 miles and I’m going in to get an oil change done but would also like to do some services to maintain my truck a bit more than just an oil change. I’m considering a transmission flush and air/fuel induction service along with the oil change.

I’ve read you shouldn’t do a flush but some say it’s ok so I was just looking for some guidance on what you guys believe is worth it or not to get done, and also what you believe I should get done to keep the truck running strong.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
8spd Trans? A good drain and fill should be good enough. 8 speed is a bit expensive but for good reasons. A new filter is actually part of the pan which sucks but can upgrade to a ppe pan with changeable filter and extra fluid. Same goes for the 6 speed though. Otherwise all the generic stuff. Do a full inspection on all wear components like belt, shocks, steering, check for leaks.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Plus: coolant change (every 5 years), spark plugs (if you have the low voltage ignition system), differential gear case (moisture absorption), transfer case and 4WD differential case if you have a 4x4, engine and cabin air filters. Might want to check your shock absorbers, too.

OP
OP
Starkhaus

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
8spd Trans? A good drain and fill should be good enough. 8 speed is a bit expensive but for good reasons. A new filter is actually part of the pan which sucks but can upgrade to a ppe pan with changeable filter and extra fluid. Same goes for the 6 speed though. Otherwise all the generic stuff. Do a full inspection on all wear components like belt, shocks, steering, check for leaks.
So get a transmission fluid change not a flush? Yes it is the 8 speed

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So get a transmission fluid change not a flush? Yes it is the 8 speed
Yup. Just drain and fill with a new filter. Differential fluid is a good idea. Tcase and front diff if 4wd as well. Did my rear diff at 30,000 and was dirtier than expected. Front and tcase were clean but did them as preventative. The transmission manufacturer says 50-60,000 miles for trans fluid however ram says lifetime do not touch. I think coolant and spark plugs for you are at 100,000 or 10years.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
How do you drain and fill an 8 speed? Go allin or pass on it, it is a fairly large job just to check the level, no joke. I wouldn't even trust the dealer to do it right, I would go allin and change filters and pan and fluid and CHECK level myself, or I wouldn't do anything.

Brake Fluid way over due I bet it's black

Diffs

T Case

Coolant

I'd do plugs on a 2014, but as the last item in case anything in process fouls any.

Clean Combustion Chamber (sea foam through vac lines) and throttle body same time. If throttle body real bad, I'd change out pcv, maybe anyhow it is about time.

Run redline si-1 through gas tank clean injectors and also help comb/cham like above

Yes Coolant

Air Filter

Check brake Pads, likely due with 50k, consider wagner oem.

Get under truck and check all suspension joints for looseness, also over due.

OP
OP
Starkhaus

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Plus: coolant change (every 5 years), spark plugs (if you have the low voltage ignition system), differential gear case (moisture absorption), transfer case and 4WD differential case if you have a 4x4, engine and cabin air filters. Might want to check your shock absorbers, too.
So get a transmission fluid change not a flush from what I’ve read. Probably engine air filter change. Probably coolant since I only bought it about 2 years ago at 28k and don’t know what has or hasn’t been done to it. Oil change of course. Is a fuel/air induction service worth it?

OP
OP
Starkhaus

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How do you drain and fill an 8 speed? Go allin or pass on it, it is a fairly large job just to check the level, no joke. I wouldn't even trust the dealer to do it right, I would go allin and change filters and pan and fluid and CHECK level myself, or I wouldn't do anything.

Diffs

T Case

Coolant

I'd do plugs on a 2014, but as the last item in case anything in process fouls any.

Clean Combustion Chamber (sea foam through vac lines) and throttle body same time. If throttle body real bad, I'd change out pcv, maybe anyhow it is about time.

Run redline si-1 through gas tank clean injectors and also help comb/cham like above

Yes Coolant

Air Filter

What would you order is most important at the moment? I wish I could do all these things myself but I’m not the best at working on vehicles haha. Something goes wrong at least I can hold a dealership accountable

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Fuel induction service is covered above, it is worth it for long life of your car, and is also easy to dyi. Throttle Body, Sea Faom Combustion Chamber, PCV, Air Filter, Redline si-1, all easy to do and is your fuel air service.

What I would do as a most important thing to do, the above service as written above and brake fluid, coolant and air filter.

How much the dealer asking for a fuel induction service?

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Diffs

T Case

Coolant

Yes Coolant

Air Filter

Trans is only hard if you let it kick your butt. Have had to add to mine and check level. Hardest part was getting the actual transmission level and having the patience to watch the temps.

OP
OP
Starkhaus

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Fuel induction service is covered above, it is worth it for long life of your car, and is also easy to dyi. Throttle Body, Sea Faom Combustion Chamber, PCV, Air Filter, Redline si-1, all easy to do and is your fuel air service.

What I would do as a most important thing to do, the above service as written above and brake fluid, coolant and air filter.

How much the dealer asking for a fuel induction service?
191.95 I think

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Trans is only hard if you let it kick your butt. Have had to add to mine and check level. Hardest part was getting the actual transmission level and having the patience to watch the temps.
Oh yeah for sure, it is worth it, and worth a day of your life to do it right imo.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
191.95 I think
So it depends on how easy money comes to you imo. It is worth it if done right and thorough, I'd get a list of what it entails. But, I'd say it would take two stars at most out of 5 to dyi, maybe closer to 1.5 stars of difficulty.

OP
OP
Starkhaus

Starkhaus

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So it depends on how easy money comes to you imo. It is worth it if done right and thorough, I'd get a list of what it entails. But, I'd say it would take two stars at most out of 5 to dyi, maybe closer to 1.5 stars of difficulty.
I just looked up the carfax and there wasn’t anything outside of oil changes and tire rotations done on the truck for the first 28k miles before I bought it. I’m thinking of doing an oil change,Brake fluid flush, Engine air filter, Fuel air induction service ,Coolant flush and then at the next oil change get the transmission stuff taken care of. Seem like a solid plan?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I just looked up the carfax and there wasn’t anything outside of oil changes and tire rotations done on the truck for the first 28k miles before I bought it. I’m thinking of doing an oil change,Brake fluid flush, Engine air filter, Fuel air induction service ,Coolant flush and then at the next oil change get the transmission stuff taken care of. Seem like a solid plan?
Yes, but I need to know what the induction air service is and everything that is included. It's important because if it doesnt include everything we can get you to do those items before you take it to them. brake fluid flush have done somewhere if you never done it, you cant have the system run dry or it's a mess and you need a scan tool and some knowledge to fix.

That gives you plenty of time to research the fl for 8 speed. At say around 20k miles down the road, you will need plugs. They say 100k miles, but I'd be 70-80k miles tops.

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Echoing the check of all suspension components, I’ll also recommend a wheel alignment. I have a 17 that just hit 50K recently and took her in for new tires and once it was on the rack, the toe alignment was clearly off. Had no pull or wobble, but it needed adjustment.

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My truck is a 2014 Sport 5.7 and it just hit 50600 miles and I’m going in to get an oil change done but would also like to do some services to maintain my truck a bit more than just an oil change. I’m considering a transmission flush and air/fuel induction service along with the oil change.

I’ve read you shouldn’t do a flush but some say it’s ok so I was just looking for some guidance on what you guys believe is worth it or not to get done, and also what you believe I should get done to keep the truck running strong.
The transmission guys I know really don't like the term "flush" because it can be used and misused generically. Force flushing can disturb and loosen clutch pack residue and end up clogging the valvebody. Newer methods displace the old fluid with new by using the transmissions own pump where pressures are much lower. These are usually bladder-type displacement systems. You could perform a drain and refill which would use about six quarts of fluid, but of course I would only recommend this if the current fluid's condition is good.

My 2014 came with the 10-year, 150,000 mile MS-12106 coolant (68163849AA) which is purple in color. Some 2014s and earlier years used the MS-9769, 5-year, 100,000 mile version (05066386AA) which is red color. I would recommend not mixing these two types. Also, if you're going to change coolant yourself, use distilled water only. Do not use tap water.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 059107 miles.

DanielTee1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Don't forget the fuel filter as well. If not already mentioned.
May look at the date on the battery, Typical 5 year life. Though it may still start the vehicle, it may not have the capacity it use to. Winter coming, something to think about.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
So get a transmission fluid change not a flush from what I’ve read. Probably engine air filter change. Probably coolant since I only bought it about 2 years ago at 28k and don’t know what has or hasn’t been done to it. Oil change of course. Is a fuel/air induction service worth it?

Correct. If there are deposits, a flush might blow them into a hydraulic orifice, plugging the circuit. Then you'd be looking at complete transmission overhaul.

Yes to engine and cabin air filters.

Coolant @ 5 years.

Fuel Air induction cleaning you can do yourself with a good quality MAF cleaner - that's all it is.

@Burla reminded me - brake fluid every 2-3 years (adsorbs moisture and entrains air - brakes get spongy and rusty).