5th Gen Heavy Duty info

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HI all,
Is there ANY info out there on the next gen 2500/3500's?
I am looking at a Toy Hauler with 20000 gvwr, 16K empty.

That's too close for a 3500 SRW, but I really don't want a dually.

Looks like the next f350 (coming in three months) will almost for sure have something like 18,000 5th wheel capacity on SRW, but I really like my Ram, and may try to hold off.

Can someone point me to some info that might be out there? I realize it may jut be rumors at this point..

JimsRamTruck2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Currently on a 3500 heavy duty the max tow is 30,660 lbs. and a payload of 7,020. And it comes with a class 5 receiver.

From what you posted if you got deal on a 2016 you would be able to do what you need to do with it.

rblakes1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
What kind of toy are you planning on hauling?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

drittal

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am of no help, I haven't seen anything on the next generation Ram.

You see a lot of SRW Rams towing BIG triple axle toy haulers!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
I haven't seen anything beyond some chops and speculation that the CTD will go away for a Fiat diesel. I know; that engine and the 2G styling are probably what saved Dodge trucks. The idea is that the Fiat engine (also an I-6 TD ~ the same displacement) is less costly since it's built in-house. Will that happen? IDK, but a case could be made if IVECO trucks were brought here. The emissions certification costs would be amortized over more applications.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I haven't seen anything beyond some chops and speculation that the CTD will go away for a Fiat diesel. I know; that engine and the 2G styling are probably what saved Dodge trucks. The idea is that the Fiat engine (also an I-6 TD ~ the same displacement) is less costly since it's built in-house. Will that happen? IDK, but a case could be made if IVECO trucks were brought here. The emissions certification costs would be amortized over more applications.

While I was working in in the engineering lab at CNH Industrial it was always rumored that Cummins were actually less expensive than the Fiat/Iveco diesels.
I never saw actual numbers though so I can't say for sure but it is technically revenue staying within the company.

Core-Lokt

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Ram 2500 4X4 ST
Engine
5.7L
That's interesting about the cost disparity and a good reminder that there's a lot of baseless outsider speculation on the internet. That said, what little I've read of Fiat industrial engines is that they seem to have a good reputation and as broad a use as the comparable Cummins engines. IF this happened, a quick look seems to indicate the N67 would be the one used.

Did you ever hear anything about IVECO trucks being re-established, here? One thing I read that if it happened, the speculation was that the dealerships would be offered first to CNH dealers. I would guess more the industrial side rather than the agricultural side.

OP
OP
A

azeemtn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Currently on a 3500 heavy duty the max tow is 30,660 lbs. and a payload of 7,020. And it comes with a class 5 receiver.

From what you posted if you got deal on a 2016 you would be able to do what you need to do with it.

Correct. I just don't want to drive around San Francisco with a dually if at all possible. Looks like the f-350 will have the required legal gcvwr. Hopefully ram will match or beat in srw.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk