5th wheel camera options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silvercummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hi. I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and use it mainly to pull our 5th wheel camper trailer. I have the Bighorn model and thought the Laramie came with a fifth wheel type camera in the 3rd brake light? Would I be able to add this option or is it a huge pain? Really like my current truck so I don't want to get a different one, just wondered what options I might have? Thanks!

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I created my own cargo camera with an aftermarket button camera.

If you remove the third brake light, you can fish the wires out through the headliner, and then run them along the back window under the headliner and the door trim to the dash; making the wires invisible.

It fits perfect, and looks like it was meant to be there. If you have in dash video you could wire it up to the aux av in, or even get one of those mini monitors that are the size of a GPS, Or even a rearview mirror with the video screen built in.

This is the only photo I have from during the install. I was thinking of doing a DIY if people were interested.

DIY Cargo Cam.jpg

Last edited:

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Question: Wouldn't removing the third brake light be illegal in many states?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 and use it mainly to pull our 5th wheel camper trailer. I have the Bighorn model and thought the Laramie came with a fifth wheel type camera in the 3rd brake light? Would I be able to add this option or is it a huge pain? Really like my current truck so I don't want to get a different one, just wondered what options I might have?
Even the '14 2500 Bighorn had an optional cargo cam in the third brake light, my buddy had it in his.
You'll probably need an add-on wiring harness to support the camera. This forum vendor that can help with the harnesses: https://www.ramforum.com/forums/m²-mods.166/

Justthebutler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 SLT
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Question: Wouldn't removing the third brake light be illegal in many states?
I was referring to removing it to mod it and run wires through the service hole at the back, not removing it permanently.

The DIY camera mod keeps both white cargo lights as well as the center red brake light functional.