5th year: coolant flush question/issues/recommended service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NY Andrew

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 Hemi
Hey guys! Ain't been on here in a very long time and can't believe its been almost 5.5 years of ownership already. Mileage-wise at 19k she's still brand new and can't complain at all love every time I take it out and no serious issues ever (unless you count the screen de-lamaination issue which would have been a nightmare but Mopar looked out for me!).

So came across a comment online where they were talking about service and mechanic mentioned coolant should be replaced at 5 years to avoid corrosion in the heater pump, water core, R&R, etc. According to the manual it states 10 years or high mileage. Guess I just got a bit worried seeing that comment which maybe is more tailored for older vehicles or that's a timeline that used to be used. Idle time is little less than half the drive time on the truck.
Would you recommend sticking to the 10 year coolant flush or do it now at 5 years?

Only maintenance that gets done I do yearly or so is the oil change, CAI clean, cabin air filter replacement, and tire rotation every couple years.
Would you recommend any other potential maintenance/service be done?

Current regular issues:
- Dome light still dim (they swapped the console years ago and never did solve the issue and didn't want them destroying my wiring to try and figure it out so just lived with it)
- Random high pitch metal rattle noise at 60-70mph on drivers side (thinking maybe it's my caliper covers but they seem tight) so haven't figured this out
- New issue: random "brake light out" dashboard pop up (usually in the begging of the drive but when checked they seem to be fine haven't caught them not working yet) and I do have aftermarket lights which were fine for 3-5 years. This issue is weird because only thing that changed in the past couple months since this started was it now being parked in a garage, so wondering if the humidity/heat is somehow causing an issue...

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
19k miles see me when it hits 40k and 10 years. Sounds like a short trip truck? I might be inclined to go a sea foam treatment through the vac lines and clean the throttle body.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
At those miles, probably what I would do is check the brake fluid and exchange it if it's dark. By dark, we're talking the color of a medium beer or darker ..it should be changed. BF is clear when new, but gets darker as it absorbs more moisture which it kind of absorbs out of thin air. Eventually ya want to change it before it reaches the point where it can't absorb moisture any longer and rusts the brake system from the inside out. I've seen the inside of hideously rusted 20+ year old brake calipers on vehicles which had occasional fluid changes. Popping out the pistons, the inside of the rusted, scaled-up calipers looked as clean as the day they left the factory! So it does matter. Could save you some grief down the road. But if the fluid is only tan, then I wouldn't bother yet.

I'd check the accessory drive belt for deep cracks. Minor cracks are ok. It should have a lot of life left but worth a look. Do you ever drive it in the winter or salty roads? If so, I'd seriously consider undercoating. These trucks rust pretty well after a while in common and odd places. If you don't then no need.

But as you describe it, your truck sounds brand new. You're being TOO kind to it!! :D LOL

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You have the OAT antifreeze as the jug says 10 yrs. or maybe 60-80 thousand miles your antifreeze is good to go, if your concerned take a sample from the overflow jug and purchase a refractometer from amazon to check the strength of the coolant.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OasisNinjaBat