5w-30 instead of 5w-20??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I’ve seen quite a few 9K mile UOAs on here(RLKs last at 9557 miles was the kicker) for me not to mention it never really gets cold here, hell its still pushing 90* here in October. Hell I honestly believe you could run the OLM down to zero every time without issue on this stuff.

yeah, I do recommend a uoa at 10k miles for guys who will push it, every truck is different. That said, my 2 year oci with zero oil added and 10k miles still had a tbn of 3.2, so I was probably good to push it to 15k miles. And, most of my miles are local hard on oil stuff, I have to think guys running mostly freeway miles will have a great OCI oil in redline.

Just like every other oil, this isn't rocket science as far as the interval, it is based on the calcium/mag level and if you have a high one you have a long oci oil, simple. Conventional oils can't or don't hold the "10" tbn levels, so they are not long oci oils.

Now, super high moly can take that down a bit, maybe that is the reason why redline went from 880ppm moly to around 550ppm. But, that just makes an argument that redline would be a better interval since that change. The x factor seams to be the gas we use, with ethanol blends I just think the days of 25k intervals are over. Maybe it's ethanol, maybe it's how modern engines operate, I dunno, but I haven't seen 25k mile oils anymore like we used to 20 years ago. Even if you could run 25k miles, I think the finicky of hemi's demand cleanliness, and I don't think that would be a good idea.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Last time I did UOA was when my truck was around 40k miles when I had 5-20 Red line , Blackstone suggested me to try increase my oil change interval from 9k to 11k, and do UOA. I never bothered with it as I want maximum protection and not trying to save money, but that tells me that 9k oil change interval on redline is just fine. Right now my 2013 truck is at almost 90k miles and I'm going to do another OUA in the next month or two. Very important thing is to have good quality synthetic filter when trying these extended range oil change intervals. I run royal purple filter.

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Kap is back, where you been hiding? Your tick still there? If so give us a number on how it is one to ten compared to before?
Hey, I've been checking on the forum occasionally, but been too busy at work to participate much.. Truck has been running well after head replacement a year ago so when all is well then no need to post lol

I'm not sure how I can quantify the hemi tick, honestly after owning truck for 5 years I don't care anymore and don't listen to it. I think it's running just fine, nothing too out of ordinary. I'd guess it runs 30% quieter than on 5-20

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
well cool thanks for the update, please do post your uoa in the syn thread when you get one. I just posted my 3 in my hemi tick young engine. wear is coming down exponentially but still isn't great.

I no longer pay for tbn, as I know I am good past 10k miles but I wont go past 10k miles, so no reason to test for tbn for me. So I bet our uoa's will be similar.