Winter oil type

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drjb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I got a 2017 5.7l first year I'm gonna be driving it in the winter. Wondering what kind of oil is recommended for winter. Can't find anything on Google. I'm thinking of sticking with amsoil 5w-20 for winter. Thoughts??

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran Redline 5W30 last winter but I do park in a heated garage at night.

The few times it was outside in the cold for long periods I did not notice any issues at startup.

5W20 is what FCA recommends so you can run that year round but I prefer a 30 weight.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What’s your idea of winter? I’m in north Idaho and I stick to what the manual says.Quality 5w20. I also use Stp oil treatment.
Why the stp? Did you read the labels? Just curious your choice, you like richard petty? me too, ha. See link below, mind you that is a pro stp treatment link, I can argue against that but wont. Just for the sake of cold, it is the wrong additive fore cold performance with due respect. It raises viscosty ten points, maybe a little less in a 7 quart sump, but still it will increase the grade of your oil, meaning in the cold it will be very hard to start your engine compared to oil w.o stp. I will leave you a chart of what viscosity looks like when cold, good luck to you.

But for real, stp is a oil thickner not unlike lucas. It raises viscosity, so you raise a 30 weight oil to a 40 weight, or similar. Kind of the worst thing you can do for cold starts. link

STP oil is really thick even though you mixed it with oil but you need to remember one thing with the modern engines variable valve timing guess. And you’re going to greatly affect the performance of the car engine if you change the viscosity. It can interfere with the action of existing additives and even hurt your engine at a cold temperature.

You can see the differences 30 weight versus 40 weight oil and what cold does to viscosity. Operating viscosity of your 5w20 oem is oil anout 9, when cold stp oil treatment your viscosity can be near 18,000, versus around 4k at below freezing. Since this is a winter oil thread, I thought this relevant.

76547d1501266037-2009-a4-3-2l-oil-change-tdtgcetc.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You can see the red dot under the 4k value, that is zero in F, so follow that dot you can see how thick your oil is at 0f, which is -17c. Each dot below it is visc at 0f. So 40 weight will be near 4k, 30 weight as low as just over 1k viscosity, if 20 weight was on the chart it would be in the high hundreds.

Idahokid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Why the stp? Did you read the labels? Just curious your choice, you like richard petty? me too, ha. See link below, mind you that is a pro stp treatment link, I can argue against that but wont. Just for the sake of cold, it is the wrong additive fore cold performance with due respect. It raises viscosty ten points, maybe a little less in a 7 quart sump, but still it will increase the grade of your oil, meaning in the cold it will be very hard to start your engine compared to oil w.o stp. I will leave you a chart of what viscosity looks like when cold, good luck to you.

But for real, stp is a oil thickner not unlike lucas. It raises viscosity, so you raise a 30 weight oil to a 40 weight, or similar. Kind of the worst thing you can do for cold starts. link

STP oil is really thick even though you mixed it with oil but you need to remember one thing with the modern engines variable valve timing guess. And you’re going to greatly affect the performance of the car engine if you change the viscosity. It can interfere with the action of existing additives and even hurt your engine at a cold temperature.

You can see the differences 30 weight versus 40 weight oil and what cold does to viscosity. Operating viscosity of your 5w20 oem is oil anout 9, when cold stp oil treatment your viscosity can be near 18,000, versus around 4k at below freezing. Since this is a winter oil thread, I thought this relevant.

View attachment 530790
My thinking was to leave a film of lubricant behind for the next start.I sell a lot of the Lucas oil stabilizer and it leaves a slimy film behind.But I figured Stp might have an advantage with its high zinc content.Or at least it did some years ago.For the record I’m a Rusty Wallace fan so I haven’t watched nascar in some time.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
My thinking was to leave a film of lubricant behind for the next start.I sell a lot of the Lucas oil stabilizer and it leaves a slimy film behind.But I figured Stp might have an advantage with its high zinc content.Or at least it did some years ago.For the record I’m a Rusty Wallace fan so I haven’t watched nascar in some time.
Got to come back, Kyle Larsen is the real deal and they got a couple boys coming up mind me of old school guys. But yeah it isnt the same, rusty was top 5 driver when he was driving and he made the sport better for sure.

So additives are what leave a film sounds like you have a good knowledge on that, but when the metal is hot it just sheds oil similar to frying oil for eggs. Thick oil has some advantages, but steep price to pay for winter though. Check out syn thread for some forum work on stuff that may help, lubeguard biotech high aw/ep additives plus esters that are known to leave film but is rather thin like a 20 weight for winter starts. Just a thought...

I see you are in my favorite place in the world, I love me some post falls. My brother lived there so I took some time up there, he couldnt make it work he would make good money in summer but not enough to make it through that long winter- he was drywaller. Beautiful area though, it is still in the back of mind when I retire and dont need to fight for winter income.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm curious how you get STP to pour in the winter,lol.Growing up north of you in Saskatchewan,you had to put the can of STP in a pot of hot water on the stove before it'd pour in the winter

Idahokid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got to come back, Kyle Larsen is the real deal and they got a couple boys coming up mind me of old school guys. But yeah it isnt the same, rusty was top 5 driver when he was driving and he made the sport better for sure.

So additives are what leave a film sounds like you have a good knowledge on that, but when the metal is hot it just sheds oil similar to frying oil for eggs. Thick oil has some advantages, but steep price to pay for winter though. Check out syn thread for some forum work on stuff that may help, lubeguard biotech high aw/ep additives plus esters that are known to leave film but is rather thin like a 20 weight for winter starts. Just a thought...

I see you are in my favorite place in the world, I love me some post falls. My brother lived there so I took some time up there, he couldnt make it work he would make good money in summer but not enough to make it through that long winter- he was drywaller. Beautiful area though, it is still in the back of mind when I retire and dont need to fight for winter income.
I tried to get behind the guy in the number 2 car but couldn’t do it.That’s when I noticed Toyota had a car in the race. I thought what the heck is going on.
Ive done a little homework on lubricants.Rotella makes a great oil. I stick with a good synthetic oil and get a good filter with synthetic media.
Post Falls is a great place.It’s going through its growing pains with the surge of new people.The fly fishing and hunting is amazing.Hiking is plentiful.Bring your bear spray. I appreciate the information and perspective.:)

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I tried to g behind the guy in the number 2 car but couldn’t do it.That’s when I noticed Toyota had a car in the race. I thought what the heck is going on.
Ive done a little homework on lubricants.Rotella makes a great oil. I stick with the a good synthetic and get a good filter with synthetic media.
Post Falls is a great place.It’s going through its growing pains with the surge of new people.The fly fishing and hunting is amazing.Hiking is plentiful.Bring your bear spray. I appreciate the information and perspective.:)
Another way to look at toyota's, someone to route against. Hamlin toyota front runner gets more boos then anyone ever, lol. Bubba gets some good boo's too since he went over from petty to toyota. I figured we'd see some more wallace's, I am puzzled why none of their grand kids took over the family business. peace

Kenny and rusty were so great at representing brands with flare, it would be an easy choice to put their kin in a car.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
You do know that there is not a Toyota, Chevy, or Ford part in the drive train in any car or truck in the vehicles that run under Nascar.

Everyone of them start out with block of metal & the machine shop machine an engine to Nascar specs

Back on topic :

In deep winter the fluid has to be thin to pass through the oil ports in modern engines.
20 weight is about as thin as you can go, because anything lower like if there was a 15 weight, it could cook in the engine.

They call it multi grade, because the oil has to be able to flow in both Summer & Winter
So they use a formula that flows at a minimum of 5°F
5°F fluid will pass through those smaller ports, until the engine reaches block reaches 100°F
At 100°F the heavy fluid thins out enough to pass through the oil ports

The first number in multi grade oil could be a 0, 5, 10

The W also has a meaning, it is not there because of a whim
The W actually means WINTER
fun fact :
down in Australia, they only carry 0W-20, 0W-30, etc. in auto parts stores

In my Harley, i run straight 50 in summer

Last edited:

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"It can interfere with the action of existing additives and even hurt your engine at a cold temperature."
This is a true statement. Besides altering low temperature oil flow, some additive chemicals can actually destabilize the motor oil and entirely deplete the benefits of some additives, and/or cause increased sludging. This is why most manufacturers advise against adding anything to the engine motor oil.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 100870 miles.