6.4 2500- A different perspective

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
I also find it funny that with a peak displacement of 7.0l they could only muster 30 more hp than my hemi......could you imagine what a 7.0l hemi would lay down for numbers?? Just saying......

Like I said before, people think that just because it has an effective displacement of 7.0L at full boost(2,500 rpm) then it has it has it throughout its entire engine speed. That is not the case as it looses effective displacement as the rpms rise. An effective displacement of 7.0L basically means at 2,500 rpm the turbos is cramming 7.0L worth of air into the 3.5L cylinders making 420 lb-ft which can only be done with a big N/A 7.0L motor at this rpm. If you do the math, that means the 3.5L EB is making 199 hp at 2,500 rpm. By the time it reaches peak horsepower of 365 hp at 5,600 rpm, it has lost some of its effective displacement essentially making it smaller than a 7.0L. Doing the math here, the 3.5L EB is making 342 lb-ft of torque at 5,600 rpm.

Last edited:

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
Like I said before, people think that just because it has an effective displacement of 7.0L at full boost(2,500 rpm) then it has it has it throughout its entire engine speed. That is not the case as it looses effective displacement as the rpms rise. An effective displacement of 7.0L basically means at 2,500 rpm the turbos is cramming 7.0L worth of air into the 3.5L cylinders making 420 lb-ft which can only be done with a big N/A 7.0L motor at this rpm. If you do the math, that means the 3.5L EB is making 199 hp at 2,500 rpm. By the time it reaches peak horsepower of 365 hp at 5,600 rpm, it has lost some of its effective displacement essentially making it smaller than a 7.0L. Doing the math here, the 3.5L EB is making 342 lb-ft of torque at 5,600 rpm.

Oh, I understand turbonetics lol just crackin a joke. Once they crack tuning on the eb guys will be running compounds to gain up top although I don't know how they will keep the heads down lol

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Oh, I understand turbonetics lol just crackin a joke. Once they crack tuning on the eb guys will be running compounds to gain up top although I don't know how they will keep the heads down lol

ARP to the possible rescue.......or at least the dents in the hoods will have the ARP logo on them...... :)

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

I don't think a compound setup would be coming to the EB anytime soon. The turbos on the current setup are so small feeding each cylinder bank and produce more than enough power for a half ton that it probably would not be worth it in a tuck role unless it was a dedicated race truck. Hell, with just a $400 custom tune you can get the 3.5L EB up to 420 hp and 530 lb-ft like my old truck was with a tow tune. If you wanted any more power than that, the HPFP was the limiting factor along with the trans that was only rated for 560 lb-ft of torque.

MANual_puller

Shade tree grease monkey
Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Moose
Engine
5.7L hemi
There's no such thing as "enough horsepower". We don't worry about automatic transmissions. They are all ticking time bombs anyway IMO because of the way they are designed to slip for "comfort". Oh, I'm sure someone will make billet internals and torque converters that can handle more down the road. As the saying goes: build a vehicle and gearheads will mod it.

I still think the 5.7l hemi is the better bang for the buck over a ford eb or a ram 6.4l. The cost to upgrade to either of those engines isn't worth the miniscule gains IMO. The 5.7l is also a tried and true engine. Very good powerplant.