6.4 has a misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I would think they would do a compression test, but I know they are trapped by the manufacturer's procedures. Many companies only pay diagnostic time if they authorize it. I have been there, in different industries. Generally, being the hard-headed SOB I am, if they didn't act fast enough I would do further diagnostics on my own dime to try to expedite things for the customer. Sometimes you just have to take **** apart, 'cause staring at it ain't gonna fix it.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I would think they would do a compression test, but I know they are trapped by the manufacturer's procedures. Many companies only pay diagnostic time if they authorize it. I have been there, in different industries. Generally, being the hard-headed SOB I am, if they didn't act fast enough I would do further diagnostics on my own dime to try to expedite things for the customer. Sometimes you just have to take **** apart, 'cause staring at it ain't gonna fix it.

Sho nuff
I was helping my son on his race car this weekend and saw him bouncing back and forth on his toes watching me fight a hose into place. I think that’s his way of trying to think of a different way. It was fun watching him.

I Love my 18 Ram 2500HD 4x4 CC
Blue Streak Pearl off-road

ETX Ram

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Longhorn Southfork Edition
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Hoyte has been in business a long time. That can't be by coincidence. Hard to imagine what you are going through. Got my 2500 Tradesman in 16, and the 6.4L has been a hoss to say the least. I'm sure the dealer will get you fixed up one way or the other. Keep the faith brother.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I went by there this afternoon. I wanted to know why the trailer lights didn’t work on the loaner. Evidently it’s a sales code. And they don’t allow any loaner trucks to tow at all. No big deal!!
So they then asked me about the programmer under the dash(Pedal Commander) and said it was causing the misfire problem. I laughed at him and told my advisor about the PC and it’s function. He still didn’t get it. I’m not complaining. But thought this was funny. So I told the tech to unplug it and reconnect the gas pedal. The tech said that some PC have a tendency to cause a misfire.
I think he’s full of ****!
So I explained the function again.
The tech says it might be the mds module but waiting for the deep engine tech to examine it again. Should get it back Thursday or Friday.

I did ask about just disabling the mds they said they could but CEL would be on constantly and good bye lifetime max care warranty. I’m still very pleased with the service department

Nickx86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Warranty work unfortunately they have to jump through hoops to get stuff done. However they seem to doing a great job with what they are dealing with the manufacture. I hope everything works out soon for you

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Well **** fella’s.
Tuesday and maybe I’ll get my truck back by Thursday evening or Friday night. I think they’re just gonna throw some parts at it till they fix it. 1st is the MDS module. Then probably injectors.
I don’t really like it just throwing parts and hoping it will work.

Good news is that my service advisor and the tech manager said that they wouldn’t void my warranty for putting a tuner on it. As long as it was programmed to turn off items and not messin with the HP.
That sounded odd but that’s word for word.
I don’t know how that would work.
Any ideas on a tune to disable the mds and reset the tire pressure

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well **** fella’s.
Tuesday and maybe I’ll get my truck back by Thursday evening or Friday night. I think they’re just gonna throw some parts at it till they fix it. 1st is the MDS module. Then probably injectors.
I don’t really like it just throwing parts and hoping it will work.

Good news is that my service advisor and the tech manager said that they wouldn’t void my warranty for putting a tuner on it. As long as it was programmed to turn off items and not messin with the HP.
That sounded odd but that’s word for word.
I don’t know how that would work.
Any ideas on a tune to disable the mds and reset the tire pressure

I don't know if this will work on the 6.4 or not but these are very popular with the GM crowd and it just plugs in your OBD port. The only thing it does is disable MDS so it doesn't affect anything else and leaves no trace once its disconnected. Its also pretty cheap compared to most of the other ******** out there at $199. Its worth a look. https://rangetechnology.com/mds-manager/

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if this will work on the 6.4 or not but these are very popular with the GM crowd and it just plugs in your OBD port. The only thing it does is disable MDS so it doesn't affect anything else and leaves no trace once its disconnected. Its also pretty cheap compared to most of the other ******** out there at $199. Its worth a look. https://rangetechnology.com/mds-manager/
That gadget right there could be a good mine. Not really interested in a tune but that is deffinately interesting.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I went by there this afternoon. I wanted to know why the trailer lights didn’t work on the loaner. Evidently it’s a sales code. And they don’t allow any loaner trucks to tow at all. No big deal!!
So they then asked me about the programmer under the dash(Pedal Commander) and said it was causing the misfire problem. I laughed at him and told my advisor about the PC and it’s function. He still didn’t get it. I’m not complaining. But thought this was funny. So I told the tech to unplug it and reconnect the gas pedal. The tech said that some PC have a tendency to cause a misfire.
I think he’s full of ****!
So I explained the function again.
The tech says it might be the mds module but waiting for the deep engine tech to examine it again. Should get it back Thursday or Friday.

I did ask about just disabling the mds they said they could but CEL would be on constantly and good bye lifetime max care warranty. I’m still very pleased with the service department

NO WAY will the PC cause a misfire LOL. It has nothing to do with it at all. Totally full of :dancingpoop:

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
NO WAY will the PC cause a misfire LOL. It has nothing to do with it at all. Totally full of :dancingpoop:

I know your right Nick. I argued about it and give them the website to investigate the PC. I laughed in their faces when they said that.
I really believe the whole problem is the mds. I think it’s a known problem but the epa won’t let them get rid of it.

OP
OP
McBroom

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L

I’m gonna call and talk to them tomorrow. If it will work on my 6.4 then it’s a done deal.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
Well I guess there’s one nice thing about my 5.7 2500. No mds lol. Had it in my 13 1500 and it was annoying as hell.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m gonna call and talk to them tomorrow. If it will work on my 6.4 then it’s a done deal.

I am working on being a dealer for them ;)

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Hope they get you fixed up soon Mc! Hoping for a positive result for you

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I guess there’s one nice thing about my 5.7 2500. No mds lol. Had it in my 13 1500 and it was annoying as hell.

I got to the point I never even paid attention to the MDS when I had my 6.4.. I let it do its thing. When I was towing with it I was on the gas to much for it to ever really kick in much, and going down hills it would kick in sometimes, but as soon as I hit the gas it kicked off..I just never experienced a down side with it in the 1.5 years I owned mine. I would go all Prius on it occasionaly and have fun with it running empty seeing how long I could keep it going..L.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Idk...i suppose it's ok....but personally I feel a V8 was designed to have all 8 holes lit all the time and not 4 cylinders worth of dead weight being carries by 4 which are lit.

Seems like a lot of dead reciprocating mass to be slung around but that's just me. Ymmv.

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
As said no way in hell it was the PC, makes no sense. It probably is related to MDS. I have had a PC since my truck had a few hundred miles on it and I have always turned MDS off except when on LONG highway trips. Zero issues so far. Transmission has been better since I put on the PC and the truck runs 50% better with MDS OFF. Zero lugging, everything is smoother and you don't get the ridiculous exhaust note change. Heck I do the same thing with my 392 Charger. Only MDS on long trips. At least with that car all you do is push sport mode and it's off.

I don’t know why they don’t just give us a simple one push button on the panel or setting in the UConnect to turn off MDS, especially on the HD trucks. The hell does it matter on a vehicle that doesn’t even have a fuel economy rating. If you want to put it there to try and give us better MPG then I’m all for it but it should be easier and more user friendly to just shut it off if we don’t want it.