6.4 hemi Lifter failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what would you say his alternatives are then???
It's no good the way it is.
Beings he has a paper trail from basically New until now with complaints and non fixes and attempted fixes id say time for a lawyer to get involved with FCA on the issue. Id go for new engine or buy back.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Dynamic Towing

Dynamic Towing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 , 2014
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Its a commercial truck so no warranty, the issue they say is that roller lifters lock up and create the damage . I had to use all factory parts except for the lifters . I found them in Melling so Im hoping that should give me longer life now. parts cost me 1500.00 plus another 1000.00 In labor . It will start with a check engine light and a code for misfire on a certain cylinder . We tried plugs , coil packs , even looked at the springs but it was a lifter.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Yeah and I love mine too , but screw that .

Are these 2 engines used normal (typical driving style) or are they run hard(high rpm’s) constantly?

Exactly how do you use these trucks?
I understand commercial trucks.
I guess what I’m asking is do you run the dog **** out of them?

I love my truck!
Blue Mule 18 Ram 2500 4x4 C/C Off Road.

OP
OP
Dynamic Towing

Dynamic Towing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 , 2014
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Are these 2 engines used normal (typical driving style) or are they run hard(high rpm’s) constantly?

Exactly how do you use these trucks?
I understand commercial trucks.
I guess what I’m asking is do you run the dog **** out of them?

I love my truck!
No sir , they are both tow trucks , we change oil every 5000 miles with mobile 1 full syn . I hope they are not getting driven hard .

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No sir , they are both tow trucks , we change oil every 5000 miles with mobile 1 full syn . I hope they are not getting driven hard .

It makes me very concerned because I have an 18.
Exactly 14K miles as of yesterday.
I’m hoping that our 6.4’s don’t have the same problems as the 5.7 Hemi does.
And if that’s the case... then I’ll have to come up with a game plan on mine.

My truck is a special truck to me as I found out the build sheet is dated being built on my late Mom’s birthday and is my late Daddy’s favorite color. My favorite color too.

I love my truck!

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

My truck is a special truck to me as I found out the build sheet is dated being built on my late Mom’s birthday and is my late Daddy’s favorite color. My favorite color too.

I love my truck!

Similar if not almost identical valve train between the two. I run RL0W40 in my 6.4 and currently run Edge 0W40 A3/B4 in my 5.7 since I get it cheap. Once I can get RL cheap the 5.7 is going back to RL 5W30 and the 6.4 is getting changed to RL 5W40. The best we can hope for is to run an oil that still has all the good wear additives like good Moly levels and plenty of ZDDP. It also helps that the esters in Redline are attracted to metal so it does a better job clinging to the things it needs to protect.

OP
OP
Dynamic Towing

Dynamic Towing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 , 2014
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I love my truck!
Id advice you to use good oil and change it regularly. I was also told the Hemi in tow trucks is not a good design . So if you use yours normally I do not see what you should have the same issues as mine , Mine happened at 140,000 miles on one and 100,000 on the other . Also yours will be under warranty. I would not hesitate to buy another hemi for normal use .

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do you have a lot of idle hours on them? One theory out there is that since the cam is splash lubricated that idle doesn't provide enough oil due to lower oil pressure and that there is a " bleed through" path for oil to go thru the lifter to the roller and therefore the cam. High rpms tends to lube better.

OP
OP
Dynamic Towing

Dynamic Towing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 , 2014
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Do you have a lot of idle hours on them? One theory out there is that since the cam is splash lubricated that idle doesn't provide enough oil due to lower oil pressure and that there is a " bleed through" path for oil to go thru the lifter to the roller and therefore the cam. High rpms tends to lube better.
Being a tow truck , Id have to say yes it has higher idle time than most normally used trucks. I have thought about that as well . Im just surprised Dodge has not admitted to an issue even after I bought 1500.00 worth of parts from them .............. twice

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
S.O. a ***** !!! That probably the worst I've seen .
What oil do you use and what's a typical OCI ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Oops just seen you answered that. Mobil 1 and 5k oci ...

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
That black carbonized oil between the cam lobes [emoji848][emoji848] looks like a higher thermal compatible oil may suit you better with your particular use of your truck with high idle times at high temps especially with a splash lubed camshaft .

Hope this helps !