6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bkcloud114

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
2015... I get a tick usually in the morning... but no smoke and no loss of oil that I know of

ronheater70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I hear the "its normal" a lot with these ram trucks. IMO any new truck that ticks and smokes in this day and age is just beyond ridiculous, I mean I have had 80's model pickups that had over 150K on them that didnt smoke or tick. That being said, I would get an occasional tick, maybe 6-8 times in 10K miles..and probably about the same puffs of smoke.. totaly random. I dont "think" mine has used any oil, Ill check tonight becuase its due for its next change.

And when they say it's normal, remind them, that if every new truck sitting on the lot smoked and ticked when interested parties tried to take them for a test drive, they would sell zero.. if it didn't do it when you drove it off the lot new, and it does it now, it's not normal period.

Last edited:

Megazor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
27,000 miles on the clock and I haven't noticed any oil usage. I do get an occasional puff of smoke, but the round trip from work to home is just under 2 miles.

Spirit79

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
You hate to say, “it’s just one of those things” but unless a fix is discovered for the occasional puff of smoke on start up that’s what it is. My 6.4 still runs like a bear at 50k. If it was a mechanical problem it would do the smoke thing practically every time it was cranked. When the truck was spanking new it had occasional lifter noise on start up. That stopped. All brands are having their share of issues with their complicated and powerful trucks. I had a 94 2500 gas burner. I put almost 200k on it before I sold it when I got my 2015. The advances are remarkable!

pwjouster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
at 2500 miles this engine finally woke up...its clear the vehicle has some say in how hard it will work for the first couple thousand miles. not this 6.4 will beast down the highway and surprisingly boogies from a stop....tow mode and a pedal commander is crazy.

the miscellaneous noises at startup and under throttle have not disappeared but i guess ill stop worrying. its running better then it was at first and im at 3500 miles. the hard shifting of the tranny is now my only concern.