6.4 owners....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you guys noticed when traveling slow around town, the truck likes to lugg, like say ur going 15mph it likes to get up to 4th gear and lug at around 1k rpms or just above, to get it not to lug I pretty much have to throttle it really hard. Thinking I may need to just un hook the battery for a couple hours and let it re learn? Opinions? Thanks guys and gals.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Get it out of full auto and start manual shifting that beast!

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mine did that on occasion. still sort of does it but with the Pedal Commander it down shifts and goes how it should now

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Yeah same as Nick... The Pedal Commander helped a lot with it. I think its just programmed in to try and save fuel? Only seems to do it on rare occasion to me. I usually just say "ok" to the truck and keep the same pressure on the pedal and after a second or two it will either down shift or start pulling harder in the gear.

reek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 RAM 2500 CC 4x4, 72 D100, 73 D100, 01 RAM 2500 field truck
Engine
6.4 Hemi
mine does it. My buddies F150 ecoboost does it too. I still think it's the ridiculous stock torque converter stall. when you're going 15 mph in 4th gear rpm is like 800 or some ridiculous number.

tnt2671

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500 regular cab
Engine
Have you guys noticed when traveling slow around town, the truck likes to lugg, like say ur going 15mph it likes to get up to 4th gear and lug at around 1k rpms or just above, to get it not to lug I pretty much have to throttle it really hard. Thinking I may need to just un hook the battery for a couple hours and let it re learn? Opinions? Thanks guys and gals.

my 16 5.7 does it to , it's just the way the 66rfe trans is and it sucks went to several service managers who have gone to bat direct to corporate with no luck. i had a manual reset done at the dealership and didn't help at all. the factories are so concerned with mileage they made the truck have these ridiculous shift points , i really wish the would come out with a flash to help because i would sacrifice mileage any day for a truck that shifts like it should i just ordered a pedal commander for mine because I've been hearing it does help so we will see

Dmopar74

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you let off the throttle and then reapply throttle it will downshift, that right there says it's a programming problem.

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would imagine a “Trans Tune” would take care of it. Just haven’t gotten serious about dropping the coin to buy a tuner. I really only get into the truck on the weekends, and my wife seldom drives it during the week. If I can get some extra cash I may try for a pedal commander at some point.

Thanks for all the replies all.

Phil21502

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’ve tried everything and nothing fixes it. Pedal commander makes it the least noticeable in my mind and it was my last mod. I modded mainly to just try and resolve this same issue

Teknoracer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just got my PC but seems to solve this for me. Way more responsive now

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
This transmission pretty much ruins a pretty stout engine. Very disappointed with both the ridiculous gear ratio spacing, and the asinine programming.

RLM5150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Odd, I haven't had this issue with my 2016 2500. Now, my 2012 1500 did that. I hated the trans tuning enough that I bought a Hemifever tuner.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 L
Hmmmm ...what’s a good price for a Pedal Commander? I may have to go that route.

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It just really agrivates me when I got all this HP on tap and the damn thing wants to lug around like a diesel way low in the Rpm range.

6.4LMegaMan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L
Mine lugs when I'm between 22 - 26 mph on a slight incline trying to accelerate with very light pressure on the accelerator while in what I assume is 3rd gear. I can get it to buck its way thru if I keep steady to very little increasing throttle input and then it smoothes out when I hit 28 mph or so. I usually either let off the throttle then back on and it down shifts or I select 2nd gear manually. I got the pedal commander and it helped but I can still make it lug on demand. It sucks but is probably the only thing I dislike about my truck. Oh yeah, trying to play Pandora ****** me off too but that's a story for another thread :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Deki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
What's the problem? It's programmed to get the best gas mileage when a ton of power is not required. I enjoy the fact that I can see 26mpg on my way home from work with no traffic at 45-50mph at 1k rpm.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Mine lugs when I'm between 22 - 26 mph on a slight incline trying to accelerate with very light pressure on the accelerator while in what I assume is 3rd gear. I can get it to buck its way thru if I keep steady to very little increasing throttle input and then it smoothes out when I hit 28 mph or so. I usually either let off the throttle then back on and it down shifts or I select 2nd gear manually. I got the pedal commander and it helped but I can still make it lug on demand. It sucks but is probably the only thing I dislike about my truck. Oh yeah, trying to play Pandora ****** me off too but that's a story for another thread :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My 17 does this exact same thing to a T.

Slight up hill grade, in a turn on a winding road. If i don't back out of it and then get back into it, it'll buck and surge until i crest the hill, then all is well.

The 2015 Silverado I had did this as well, but much worse and far worse shifting characteristics all around. The chevy was extremely hesitant to downshift unless i really got on it. I've heard similar things from ford owners.

It's all a big game to eek out the most fuel mileage they can from these trucks. We can blame the epa for forcing the fuel mileage standards upon the automakers and we get issues like this to deal with as a result.

My ram's Trans is notably better than the Silverados was all around, but it could certinly be better.

OP
OP
Ratket

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What's the problem? It's programmed to get the best gas mileage when a ton of power is not required. I enjoy the fact that I can see 26mpg on my way home from work with no traffic at 45-50mph at 1k rpm.

If that was my “ driving situation” I wouldn’t be bothered one bit. But sadly it isn’t and unfortunately at the rate it is going I feel it could cause more damage than good. And it just ****** me off. No way is it programmed to get the best mpg- that may have been their goal, but by looking at the amount of carbon build up on my exhaust tip this thing runs way way richer than it needs to.