6.4 Ram Hemi Oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Yup. I work at Autozone and we are one of the few places, aside from online, that carries it. Stock up, it's rare to see the ultra on sale and it won't be on sale again for at least 6-8 months (if at all).

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So that is a real random spec, it doesn't mean all the oils wont meet it, just that they aren't tested for it. The good news is one of the best oils out there has exclusivity on the spec for now. So use the Ultra. Chances are all of the oils meet that random spec, but I wouldn't mess with it for now until they are tested. Stock up, even the online price is pretty cheap and that stuff stores for a long time.

Olli

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 CC
Engine
Yup. I work at Autozone and we are one of the few places, aside from online, that carries it. Stock up, it's rare to see the ultra on sale and it won't be on sale again for at least 6-8 months (if at all).

Is that Autozone sale nationwide?

Olli

OP
OP
H

HorseManAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Ram 2500
What filter should we buy...any other one that's quality besides Mopar?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

Royal Purple Oil Filters are great, double check but I think the correct filter number is 10-48.

Reactions: Sud

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I read about this oil spec when I changed Dad's 6.4 at 500 miles.
I informed him that it existed, and that only Penz Ultra met it currently.

Mobile 1 0W40 seems to be working just fine.
(Also used a Mobile 1 Filter, the tiny little guy)

It's all up to you, if you think your engine will tank in the next 4000 miles (whatever your interval) before other oils meet the spec, then run that Penz stuff.

arod412

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just curious but in the owners manual, what is the oil change service interval for the 6.4 engine? Is it that much of a difference in the 5.7 engine?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just curious but in the owners manual, what is the oil change service interval for the 6.4 engine? Is it that much of a difference in the 5.7 engine?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I don't know what the 5.7 is.... the 6.4 says no more than 10K but basically go by the monitor. I just turned over 4K on my 6.4 today with a pretty wide range of driving conditions and I'm right at 50%. I'll likely head in to the dealer for the first change at around 25%.

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
Is that Autozone sale nationwide?

Olli

In theory yes. All sales are supposed to be, but not all locations will stock it. I bought a few tonight (20 qts), using my 30% employee discount after the sale price. Worked out pretty well. :headbang:

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
In theory yes. All sales are supposed to be, but not all locations will stock it. I bought a few tonight (20 qts), using my 30% employee discount after the sale price. Worked out pretty well. :headbang:

I too am an Autozone employee. Is it a 30% weekend? Cause my employee discount is only 20% any other time. lol. And my discount typically doesn't apply along with a sale price...

Anyway.

Yes, the sale should be nationwide. IF your local Autozone doesn't "carry it" (not on the shelf), they SHOULD be able to have it transferred in and honor the sale price. If you have trouble getting it located, you can call my store @ 502-859-2886, we'll give you the AutoZone part number so they can more easily find it. I'm just part time (most nights and weekends), but you can ask for Matt, be glad to help if i'm there.

Last edited:

Sud

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I'm curious too.

To each his own - but i won't be running a Fram or STP filter on it.
Bosch makes a decent filter i think?

Personally, I probably won't run any of those filters that are part of the Autozone deal on my truck. They offer an upgrade (probably a Mobil 1 filter?) for either $2 or $4 more than the $32.99 sale price. Still a pretty good price for the oil compared the the normal price.

My main concern is warranty issues - IF something were to happen to the engine, and you had ran anything other than a Mopar filter, can they get ya on that?

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the 5.7 hemi and people running synthetic oil, Royal Purple has been the filter of choice (the syn filter).

OP
OP
H

HorseManAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Ram 2500
I'm going to check our local autozones here in Arkansas this evening and see if I can pick up some. I'll lost back with what I find out.

OP
OP
H

HorseManAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi Ram 2500
The Pennzoil sale is in effect here in Arkansas. Just stocked up. I guess they changed the bottle, because autozone here had two different ones. The specs are the same, however. Got 3 filters, but I'm not sure I'll use them. Still saved 70 bucks buying 15 qts. Doesn't the 6.4 Ram hold 7 quarts? Here are some pics...note the Chrysler spec on the back of bottle. Both bottles had this.

Iuploadfromtaptalk1400781317427.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400781317427.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400781335478.jpguploadfromtaptalk1400781346159.jpg

nukeman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
I too am an Autozone employee. Is it a 30% weekend? Cause my employee discount is only 20% any other time. lol. And my discount typically doesn't apply along with a sale price...

Anyway.

Yes, the sale should be nationwide. IF your local Autozone doesn't "carry it" (not on the shelf), they SHOULD be able to have it transferred in and honor the sale price. If you have trouble getting it located, you can call my store @ 502-859-2886, we'll give you the AutoZone part number so they can more easily find it. I'm just part time (most nights and weekends), but you can ask for Matt, be glad to help if i'm there.

I'm in Albuquerque. Was advertised as a 30% employee weekend on DOC here. Should be chain-wide. Part time here too.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Thanks for the info everyone... I'm going to check out Autozone. At last check here (Oregon) they didn't have it. Funny enough I'm actually going to Las Vegas this weekend and am almost considering checking out those stores to see if I can find it.

I'm not even so concerned about the cost..... I just want to find it somewhere.

Does a case of oil count as a checked bag? :)

e-light

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I use Mobil 1 0w-40 and Wix 57060 filter. Filter is $6 from Oreily and oil is about $25 for 5 quarts at walmart. The Chrysler spec is new. It will take time before other oils can be certified for it. Basically lets Penzoil have the market for a period of time, allowing them to charge more and make more money. My opinion is that the Mobil 1 0w-40 is better oil. Check out the used and ****** oil analysis of both oils at bob is the oil guy. Both are excellents oils. But the Mobil is much cheaper and i think better oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UneasyJmitchell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How many quarts does the 6.4 use? Ive heard several people keep saying 5. The 5.7 uses 7 when you refill I think.