6.4 vs 6.7

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
Been doing a lot of research. Can't decide which. I feel like the 6.7 would be best for hauling but the gas would be better all around town and when not towing a trailer. I love the sounds of diesels but u can't delete it so it'll be quite
Whcoh do u have
And why'd u chose it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Will you be towing heavy loads frequently?

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you want a diesel the 6.4 is not going to make you happy. If you are used to not revving very much the constant high rpm's while towing will get annoying after the new wears off.

granite14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500, 4x4, CC, SLT Big Horn
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I like these threads as much as the next guy, but you asked near the same question back in March and May on 2 separate threads ??

Hdperformance

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ram 3500
6.7 cummins hands down the best engine, i own 2014 ram 3500 6.7 aisin transmission beautiful solid truck

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins hands down the best engine, i own 2014 ram 3500 6.7 aisin transmission beautiful solid truck

The cummins is a towing powerhouse. That's about it. With all the EPA garbage they hooked up to these trucks and considering how expensive it is to repair outside the warranty period it may not be to your benefit. I wanted a diesel, that fact that there was 800ft/lb tq really tickled me pink. However after considering I do not tow right now, my commute to work is only 7 miles, the new emission crap they put on, and the controversial torque managment, I took a pass on the diesel and went with a 6.4L. Unless you need the diesel to tow a lot and far Id pass, atleast until they get this emissions stuff figured out. Cost of maintenance, fuel, it adds up for about an average of 2 mpg better than the 6.4l. Hopefully in a few years they will get the emissions figured out because then I will have something to tow and need the diesel.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I went through the same question and drove both back to back. I actually liked the 6.4 a hair better as a daily driver. It's just a bit quicker to respond. I came from a Duramax of 6 years so I know diesels. The 6.4 does rev higher and isn't the towing beast.... probably not near what the Cummins with 800 lb ft of torque is.

It really just depends on what and how often you tow. For the infrequent towing I do and relatively moderate weight @ 8500lbs I love the 6.4. The crazy part is the mileage is nearly identical to what I was getting from my Dmax.... maybe 1mpg less. Towing is probably 2mpg less but I don't really keep that close a track.

You really can't go wrong either way.

Caldwell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If i ever got a cummins it would be hands down a 2012 or older ( Pre DEF ) crap. And i would have to delete it.

OP
OP
D

Drewster2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Dont have one yet
Engine
Dont have one yet
I went through the same question and drove both back to back. I actually liked the 6.4 a hair better as a daily driver. It's just a bit quicker to respond. I came from a Duramax of 6 years so I know diesels. The 6.4 does rev higher and isn't the towing beast.... probably not near what the Cummins with 800 lb ft of torque is.

It really just depends on what and how often you tow. For the infrequent towing I do and relatively moderate weight @ 8500lbs I love the 6.4. The crazy part is the mileage is nearly identical to what I was getting from my Dmax.... maybe 1mpg less. Towing is probably 2mpg less but I don't really keep that close a track.

You really can't go wrong either way.

So you like the 6.4? I just feel like it's ginna suck gas. Especially in the city, but with the problems people have with the emmisions the 6.4 is almost looking better

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
So you like the 6.4? I just feel like it's ginna suck gas. Especially in the city, but with the problems people have with the emmisions the 6.4 is almost looking better

Totally satisfied.... the mileage has actually impressed me. It seems like it got better since I got it but it may just be the change from winter to summer fuel..... and now about to go back to winter. I got the truck in mid-March which I believe is the tail end of winter/10% ethanol fuel (at least in my area). I'll know here shortly as I think we are going back to it soon.

My driving consists of a pretty even mix of city and hwy. For work I generally commute around a large metro area and spend about equal time rolling along the hwy, stuck in traffic on the highway and navigating some residential streets. I've been averaging a solid 13-14 with that type of driving. A few times when getting out of town I can get 16/17ish (could do better if I kept my foot out of it).

The old "big block" gas engines of a decade ago - Ford V10, Chevy 8.1 got close to half that (and I know they aren't true big blocks... that's just what many people called them).

To get this kind of power and economy from the same truck without the initial purchase cost, maintenance and now the complexity of a diesel is a great option.

For me it just came down to how much and how often I tow. If I was retired (or close) and out towing a lot the diesel would have been the best option.

If you really are worried about mpg run some quick calcs on the payback of increased mpg on diesel vs cost of fuel vs initial purchase cost. I think you'll find you need to own the truck for 98,000 years to make the diesel pay off :)

Just today I noticed diesel is back to $.80/gallon more than gas in my area.

If you NEED a diesel for towing go for it. Otherwise the gas is probably the more economical choice... even at 1/2 mpg less.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
I loved my diesel, except for the emissions crap. My 3500 srw 6.4 has been great. Almost 14, 000 mi and looking forward to many more. I don't tow heavy very often. TT is on a seasonal site, so it only gets towed twice a yr. Mite use my nephews 12, 000lb mini a few times a yr. Mostly I'm towing mowers around. Im getting 17-19 highway, and 12-13 towing my mowers.

NHguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 Ram Big Horn 2500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Totally satisfied.... the mileage has actually impressed me. It seems like it got better since I got it but it may just be the change from winter to summer fuel..... and now about to go back to winter. I got the truck in mid-March which I believe is the tail end of winter/10% ethanol fuel (at least in my area). I'll know here shortly as I think we are going back to it soon.

My driving consists of a pretty even mix of city and hwy. For work I generally commute around a large metro area and spend about equal time rolling along the hwy, stuck in traffic on the highway and navigating some residential streets. I've been averaging a solid 13-14 with that type of driving. A few times when getting out of town I can get 16/17ish (could do better if I kept my foot out of it).

The old "big block" gas engines of a decade ago - Ford V10, Chevy 8.1 got close to half that (and I know they aren't true big blocks... that's just what many people called them).

To get this kind of power and economy from the same truck without the initial purchase cost, maintenance and now the complexity of a diesel is a great option.

For me it just came down to how much and how often I tow. If I was retired (or close) and out towing a lot the diesel would have been the best option.

If you really are worried about mpg run some quick calcs on the payback of increased mpg on diesel vs cost of fuel vs initial purchase cost. I think you'll find you need to own the truck for 98,000 years to make the diesel pay off :)

Just today I noticed diesel is back to $.80/gallon more than gas in my area.

If you NEED a diesel for towing go for it. Otherwise the gas is probably the more economical choice... even at 1/2 mpg less.

Even though I have the 5.7, I experience almost the same MPG's.
And I've been Very happy towing my 6500lb trailer.
If I was towing north of 8-9000 lbs. I think I would start looking at a Diesel.

mowin

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 hemi
Even though I have the 5.7, I experience almost the same MPG's.
And I've been Very happy towing my 6500lb trailer.
If I was towing north of 8-9000 lbs. I think I would start looking at a Diesel.

It would depend on how often/miles your towing north of 9k. Many guys like myself dont haul heavy very often.

skHemi64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
My current towing plans call for a 3 horse LQ gooseneck trailer and possibly 20-24 foot gooseneck flatbed. Bed carrying capacity needs to haul 4 3x3x8 foot hay bales. I used to have a 34 foot fifth wheel HitchHiker RV back in the day, and it was then I needed a diesel.

Because of MY needs now and today, I chose the fairly rare 2014 6.4L CC dually. It's what I need and want. Flatbed is in it's future.

OHHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I had a '04 2500 with the H.O. 5.9 CTD, though I've never owned the 6 liter. I don't have the need for a diesel anymore and that drove my decision to get a gasser this go 'round. If i was going to be hauling heavy often I'd go back with the diesel because that's what they're designed to do. Gassers can also haul very well but the heavier the load you haul the bigger the toll it takes on a gas motor, speaking over the long haul. Either way think it out and you'll be satisfied with whatever decision you make.

CabinDweller

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
I get over 22 MPG on my 70 mile highway daily commute with my CTD. My mixed MPGs are around 18. That matches what my 2014 1500 Sport (8speed and 3.21 gears) got. I've owned two HEMIs and gassers in other brands (GM and Ford). I would consider the additional cost of fuel per gallon. Outside of that, I've seen no "penalties" to owning the diesel. Oil changes are more expensive, but are required less often.

Either one will treat you well and likely put a smile on your face.

NewBlackDak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
I get over 22 MPG on my 70 mile highway daily commute with my CTD. My mixed MPGs are around 18. That matches what my 2014 1500 Sport (8speed and 3.21 gears) got. I've owned two HEMIs and gassers in other brands (GM and Ford). I would consider the additional cost of fuel per gallon. Outside of that, I've seen no "penalties" to owning the diesel. Oil changes are more expensive, but are required less often.

Is that hand calculated or Lie-ometer mileage?

tjfdesmo

Reaction score

Wow, my '05 CTD wouldn't get that kind of MPG downhill with a tail-wind.

SouthernBoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow, my '05 CTD wouldn't get that kind of MPG downhill with a tail-wind.

The best my 2009 deleted 6.7 with 3.73s ever got was 19 on flat ground, in overdrive, if I kept the speedo at 65mph. Empty of course, no load/trailer.