6 seater vs 5 seater pros/cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
I had a 6 seater double bench 14

I now have a 5 seater with center console

First time being a passenger in my 5 seater sitting in the front passenger seat - i was super annoyed you cannot sit in the front passenger seat and put your legs/feet out in a linear way without hitting the dumb tranny bump

I never experienced that in the 6 seater, is that just because my knee could extend to the left alot more (no center console) and therefor the leg and foot can extend out more naturally?

I really wanted a 6 seater so my dog can ride but it wasnt a option at the time when i got my truck. All my local dealers had laramies with the upgraded console - like its rare for it not to have it.

UnsatFC

Active duty NAVY
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel your pain and that’s why I have a 6 seater in my 15’

OP
OP
FXCLM5

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
what does everybody have midget feet who sits in the passenger seat?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
what does everybody have midget feet who sits in the passenger seat?
I have one of each and the one with the centre seat does feel roomier, but no less comfortable that I've noticed. They don't like to be called midgets anymore. I think they prefer to be called tossables. I'm usually wrong about these things though. Just ask anybody around me with a horrified expression. Seats bolt in the same places so where they are in relation to the Trans tunnel shouldn't be any different.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
one of my main criteria was bench seating.
Everyone I know has a center console and I hate riding in their trucks.
Ford, Chevy, Ram, doesn't matter.
Trucks should not have a center console. Period.
Fold Down is good enough.

. . . and stay off my lawn too.

WadXpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI
You can probably find somebody to trade you. I would if we are near each other but my jumpseat is cloth

MarshRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 SLT 4x4, 2012 ST
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can probably find somebody to trade you. I would if we are near each other but my jumpseat is cloth

^^^^^This

Quite a few have done the center console swap and quite a few more want to, including me. The center seat on the bench is about worthless, just about anyone sitting there will practically have there knees locked in the air. I personally have never had someone sit there in the 2 years I have owned the truck. But with the dog, I could see why you want it!

DavidN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
IMO center seat is worthless, would trade for a center console without a second thought.
Had a 3rd person sitting in the front once - never again!
The guy had his knees basically in his face and his legs constantly touched the ac controls and the radio buttons. Was a hell of a Ride for him. :)

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Really only handy for short trips or kids. Sometimes it's just nice to need one less DD and pay for parking for one less car if there's 6 people going somewhere.

Cmsharp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the bench seat and like it. To me its like having 4wd, may only need it 5 percent of the time, but when necessary it’s priceless. I like being able to slide across to the passenger side if necessary, plus horizontal cup holders work better for 2 people. Could also be helpful in a car wreck situation. Sitting on middle seat is a ***** though. Only suitable for kids on short trips. I like the look and extra storage of the center console too, so I can see pros/cons of either choice.

zrfraser

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Really only handy for short trips or kids. Sometimes it's just nice to need one less DD and pay for parking for one less car if there's 6 people going somewhere.
Basically this. My kids are in all car seats which take up the whole back seat. Sometimes their uncle comes into town and instead of taking two cars we can all squeeze in the truck. Especially, if I don't want to fool with bringing the Grand Caravans middle passenger seat back up from its stow and go postion. Makes getting kids in and out infinitely easier with it in the down position and allows us to carry all their crap (mini toilet for the potty training 3 year old). Is it comfy? No. But I don't have to sit there.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
I prefer no center console for comfort and plain handiness. I like having the open area, next to my seat, to put things.Also, appreciate lack of a console for my Nieces or pnephews, when loaded out with heathens. Find it much easier, on hours long trips, to have things handy, just sitting on the middle seat vs stuck in a console somewhere.

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Just checking to see who reads the whole post who skims them. Lol

Tossables. I love it

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 6.4L. USMC (ret)

JOHRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel 3.0
We did a camping trip a few weeks back. Mind you my wife is smaller, but the 3rd seat was great. While we were there we kept all our food in the backseat, then the 3 of us just rode upfront to trails and such. It was great.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My dad has the bench with the fold down. I opted for the bucket seats with the center console. I believe the center console provides much more use to me than the bench and fold down ever would have. I enjoy the storage and extra space. Plus, I enjoy the bucket seats which feel like a bigger version of my Charger’s seats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
FXCLM5

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
LOL last year I did 16+ trackdays 3+ hr 1 way trips, I would say 50% of the time my gf rode in the center seat to give the passenger foot area to my dog - cuz he kinda fidgeted too much when he sat on the center seat or passenger seat.

Also I looked at the seats, the buckets are the same as the bench - no?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
LOL last year I did 16+ trackdays 3+ hr 1 way trips, I would say 50% of the time my gf rode in the center seat to give the passenger foot area to my dog - cuz he kinda fidgeted too much when he sat on the center seat or passenger seat.

Also I looked at the seats, the buckets are the same as the bench - no?
Yes as long as it's the same trim level the seats are the same. My laramie seats with console are the same as my laramie seats with the middle seat.

OP
OP
FXCLM5

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Yea I couldnt find the reasoning for calling it a

"upgraded bucket seats"

when they are the same exact seats

I guess they must mean a sl trim where the seat is just vinyl, i was wondering why they kept calling the laramies seats a upgrade "bucket" when my last big horn had the exact same "upgraded bucket" style but covered in cloth