60K miles...it was time to finally clean up the rust underneath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Looks great! You did good! that's a crazy amount of work. I've done it myself. Assuming that truck is a 2012, that's the unfortunate break point for a vehicle in my area (Buffalo NY) in terms of corrosion. You're typically at the point of no return by then.

I've been treating my Rams with fluid film and woolwax and just did my 2019 classic with wool wax. It doesn't make it pretty underneath, but does keep rust away.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
Great job! Looks good. That is a ton of work, been there/ done that. Lots of eating rust dust, rust dust in the eyes even with safety glasses on, etc.

I was going to comment on the undercoating but someone beat me to it. That's the only place you went off the rails. Beyond that, well done sir!

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I see those who have done this before know what a nightmare it was! Definitely rust in your eyes, even with safety glasses on....you're somehow covered in paint no matter how careful you are and one of the worst things.... countless times banging the back of your head on something!

So, now I'm wondering... Do I leave it like it is or do I now spray a fluid film or this LPS3 stuff over all the painted areas to further protect it?

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Thanks! I need to move to Arizona or somewhere! Having a lifted truck doesn't help though... it can't go through a car wash. Though, I do go to a power washer after each storm....but it didn't seem to help too much.

what about a semi truck wash bay? or the manual wash stations where you do all the work? if you wore waders or tall boots, you could underbody flush it pretty good too.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
what about a semi truck wash bay? or the manual wash stations where you do all the work? if you wore waders or tall boots, you could underbody flush it pretty good too.

I do that after every storm during the winter....and it certainly didn't help much. I don't think it was as bad years ago when they just salted the roads. It's this brine stuff they use now that seems to really do the damage. Over the winter, I had to replace the oil pan....it felt like you could push your finger right through it with all the rust on it.

FN 2187

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI eTorque
I'm not sure about rubberized coatings promoting rust and all that stuff, but I do know your undercarriage looks great with the work you've done.

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm not sure about rubberized coatings promoting rust and all that stuff, but I do know your undercarriage looks great with the work you've done.

Thanks man. Ton of work...but I'm happy with it. It's nice to walk up to the truck and see a nice undercarriage again!

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
I just did the same thing. We don't get a lot of salt here in BC but enough that this truck has some frame rust. I'm also against undercoating as it traps moisture instead of letting it out. I am a big fan of the wax oil products and spray it into any voids I can get to like rocker panels and fender pinch welds. They cant paint into pinch welds so those are prime starting points for rust. Here are a couple of pics of my rust and the products I have used for years to combat them.Frame rust.jpg

Chassis paint stuff.jpg
Frame painted.jpg

OP
OP
NJ4X4

NJ4X4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just did the same thing. We don't get a lot of salt here in BC but enough that this truck has some frame rust. I'm also against undercoating as it traps moisture instead of letting it out. I am a big fan of the wax oil products and spray it into any voids I can get to like rocker panels and fender pinch welds. They cant paint into pinch welds so those are prime starting points for rust. Here are a couple of pics of my rust and the products I have used for years to combat them.View attachment 218924

View attachment 218925
View attachment 218926

Looks great! I should have taken the bed off mine when I did it... would have made it easier.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
One of the main reasons I started my working career (40 years ago) as a Marine mechanic rather than an automotive mechanic was that an automotive mechanic spends a lot of time under a vehicle with crap falling down into your face. A marine mechanic spends a lot of time hanging down into a bilge with nothing falling on you. ;>) other than the odd engine hatch.

Steve_67

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 l EcoDiesel
I live in California with some rain, but nothing serious. I have a Workman 2017 ecodiesel with 4x4 and a crew cab. I bought my truck at the tail end of 2017 and got a great deal!
While I was installing my aftermarket running boards 2 months later I noticed quite a bit of rust on some components! Shocked! I did my research and found my experience was typical of those owners who bothered to look under their trucks. OK, fine. I got a hell of a deal! I bought some Rustoleum rust converter and some rustoleum rust converter and a bit of sandpaper. I.went to work and a few days later (have to let that paint dry in between coats) i was done. I did the same process a year later on a few new rusted components. When i installed my skid plates a few months ago, i saw zero rust. I figured, based on the deal i made to buy it, i made around $6 k a day for my few days labor by buying my RAM and fixing my rust problem, versus buying a Ford Or Chevy with no rust problem. No complaints! I love this truck!

sfcmarc

Reaction score
Ram Year
1985 -1986-1996
Engine
360-360-360
I have used https://www.por15.com for the last 30 years. Their products do an amazing job of stopping rust in both automotive and marine applications.

Evguy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RAM1500
Engine
Cummins ISB 170
This is the newest truck I have ever owned and so I always expect to do some rust intervention. I have pretty high hopes that once I'm done with this truck it will be my last.

jrcorney

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Mix up a container of 50:50 mix of ATF and Acetone. Spray it on the bottom parts, drive for awhile and then take it to the car wash. On my Toyota, had a trailer hitch that was rusted solid being in salt water from constant duck hunting. Sprayed the hitch with the 50:50, let it sit for a half hour, wrapped a tow strap on the ball and a bulkhead support. Three jerks with the Toyota and the hitch flew out like a rocket

MoPowered

Retired
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I feel your pain my Brother I’m in NY and damn if I don’t hate the damn salt. It’s about time I got around to doing mine again but this time I going to use the Monsta Liner frame saver paint. I used it underneath in my 04 WJ about 5 years ago and that **** still looks good.
Check them out they got really good paint and the frame saver has aluminum flakes in it and really smooth’s the parts with the typical pitted surface. You can brush it, spray or roll it and it comes UB stable if you want it.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I think no matter where you live , one of the problems is they paint the shinny stuff great, the stuff you don't see has **** poor paint or none at all.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think no matter where you live , one of the problems is they paint the shinny stuff great, the stuff you don't see has **** poor paint or none at all.
This is so true. The paint they use on the frame, suspension components, and even the exterior floor pan is garbage. Not just Ram either. If they used a similar quality paint to the exterior I bet vehicles would last longer even in the snow belt.

But that would increase the cost of manufacturing and doesn't fit in with auto makers planned obsolescence...

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anybody ever remove any of their cab mount bolts and see how much water pours out? Anyone drill a hole or two in the frame for it to drain out? Was wondering if anyone else ever noticed this and if there was an easier plan than drilling holes through that hard ass metal..............