68RFE rebuild

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pkelley76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
I have a 2014 6.7 Cummins, it has about 130,000 miles, I bought it in January with 122,000 miles on from a Ram dealer, it was deleted but did not come with a tuner so I was assuming it was just running a delete tune from previous owner, it runs but I’m pretty sure close to stock, anyhow my problem is the transmission went out, I lost 5th gear and 4th slipped bad, so I took it to a local transmission shop, now it’s going on 3 weeks and he keeps telling me that he keeps getting a P0871, pressure switch fault, he said he changed the pressure switch and didn’t help, said he has used 4 “new” valve bodies that he said were Chrysler, now I’m waiting on another to get there to try again, what is going on, am I getting scammed? Thanks for your time…

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Your overdrive clutches are toast. Common problem with tuned/ and deleted 68RFE's. Only fix is a full rebuild, and it appears that your shop does not know this transmission that well. I would try to find another that does

At the very least I would go with a Revmax valve body on the rebuild with a Sonax overdrive hub. A good low stall torque converter like the Revmax stage 4 will go a long way in making the truck feel like it has more power down low when the TC isn't locked. If you plan on keeping the truck for a very long time, this will vastly improve how it drive since it is way more efficient at putting power to the ground when unlocked than the factory unit.

OP
OP
pkelley76

pkelley76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l Cummins
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it, he said he has driven it twice today since he got it together but wants to drive it again in the morning then if no codes I can pick it up, I’m thinking he’s using my truck to pull his junk around, but as long as I can get it back then I can have it gone back over from an diesel shop, here’s to hoping, thanks again….

DanEddy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The 68RFE trans has a bad reputation for poor quality components. I've heard that the design is great and a step forward in electronic transmissions. However, mother MOPAR has made bad choices in the components such as the Input shaft and the clutch packs and the fluid pump. Whoever, there is hope when you do a rebuild, you can have it rebuilt to a Stage One or Stage Two with aftermarket parts and have a strong gear box. No matter what level of rebuild you pick these items must always be replaced with aftermarket upgraded parts. Input shaft must be a billet unit, Fluid pump must be an aftermarket until that's not made out of soft aluminum and the clutch packs should be an aftermarket set with more clutch discs and steels. And if you're doing some towing having a triple disc torque converter wouldn't be a bad idea ither. Just don't do a stock rebuild it has far too many weak points and will fail.

You can buy a stage 2 rebuilt online from a number of reputable and good rebuilders for a bout $6,000 to $7,000 and then have it installed by your transmission shop. Not cheap but you won't regret it in the long run.