7" lift on 98 ram sport will this work...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mitchbowers

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 2500 5-speed, soon to be leveled on 33's
Engine
5.9 Magnum
^+1
just don't come crying here when you need advice cause something is messed up

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Just because what you're saying doesn't make sense doesn't mean you need to be a huge d*ck. I don't know you for all I know you could be some dumb redneck who lifts riding lawn mowers or someone who lifts trucks for a living. I started the thread to hear from people who have used spacers and who haven't maybe some people who used both, but what I wasn't looking for was attitude and forced opinions. Thanks for the input tho.

Hold the fcking train. I'm not dumb and YES, I want to lift my mower. So fckin what. :flipthebird:

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
Not to start **** but... I have level spacers. Which is fine on a stock truck with stock arms.
If I got new arms (or built them) and lifted coils my spacers would then become useless?
Like going to 2500 coils I couldn't use my spacers anymore?
Even if my CA's were long enough to keep my diff centered?

If my diff is centered by "magical forces" and I used a 5" coil, why would spacers now be unsafe?
I'm not talking tire size. Shock size. Etc. Just want to know, with all things equal, why?
I read the whole thread. I just don't "get it".

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
Not to start **** but... I have level spacers. Which is fine on a stock truck with stock arms.
If I got new arms (or built them) and lifted coils my spacers would then become useless?
Like going to 2500 coils I couldn't use my spacers anymore?
Even if my CA's were long enough to keep my diff centered?

If my diff is centered by "magical forces" and I used a 5" coil, why would spacers now be unsafe?
I'm not talking tire size. Shock size. Etc. Just want to know, with all things equal, why?
I read the whole thread. I just don't "get it".

If control arms, track bar, pitman arm, shocks, etc are in proper spec for the coil springs + spacers you can. However, that's not the right way to do things. Correct height coil springs and full leaf packs without the factory block is the right way.

But that is not what OP asked. He wanted to mate taller springs with other parts that are not made for that height.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
If control arms, track bar, pitman arm, shocks, etc are in proper spec for the coil springs + spacers you can. However, that's not the right way to do things. Correct height coil springs and full leaf packs without the factory block is the right way.

But that is not what OP asked. He wanted to mate taller springs with other parts that are not made for that height.

I agree, full on suspension and no blocks is best.

But as I am a welder/fabricator I kinda get what he was saying. Although his direction was wrong.
Build it right, don't cut corners, make it safe.
99% of people should stay with store bought lifts.
Some of the 1% shouldn't even go that far.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow. I just read through this entire thread, and I feel like I've lost a few brain cells.

Just to clarify a few things up here.

1) A 3" kit will clear 35's with the right offset. I have 4th gen 17's on 315/70r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I rubbed like crazy on the lower control arms and frame. Spaced it out with 2" wheel spacers, and it clears fine aside from when I flex the truck out, then it rubs the bumper and fenders. For street DD, it runs fine. So, a wheel with 3.5-4" backspace on say a 7-8" wheel it should clear just fine.

2) Majority of spacers on 2nd gen rams are considered "tophats" which bolt into the coil tower. Use of them with lifted coil springs is not considered "dangerous" but what is dangerous is not using the required parts to accommodate the lift. Some higher end 3" lifts include control arms, some don't. If new control arms are not supplied, your stock arms are only considered "fine" because there is usually enough adjustment in the cam bolts to adjust for the lift height. Replacement arms when used will usually require little to no adjustment on the cam bolts. A 5" lift requires control arms, there is not enough adjustment there. 3" control arms even will not have enough adjustment for the additional 2" of lift. So, as example. Skyjacker makes 2" lift coils. Using a 3" tophat and 2" coils will equal 5" of lift, but you cannot just throw the coils in. You'll need the 5" control arms, track bar bracket, and pitman arm. The track bar bracket needs to on the frame side in order to allow the track bar to match the angle of the drag link with the pitman arm, otherwise bump steer will become a massive issue. A track bar bracket on the axle side is used when doing a high steer kit, requiring the stock pitman arm. Not using the drop pitman arm and track bar bracket on 5" of lift will result in an extremely unstable truck. Turning will become harder as you'll have to pull harder to turn the wheel, and straight lines will be just short of impossible. You will be all over the road.

3) "Lifting a few vehicles in the past" does not make you an expert in the field of lifting every type of vehicle. There's a difference in everything. Jeeps and 2nd gen rams use the same style of suspension in the front, which consists of a 4 link. But the driving characteristics are different. A ram will handle a 3" lift with ease, while Jeeps begin to require additional parts to actually drive correctly.

4) Rear blocks are always frowned upon. Going with a taller block will increase chances of axle wrap (requiring traction bars). Axle wrap can cause a lot of issues, ranging from added stress and snapping u-bolts to loosening nuts. Off road with taller blocks and bouncing around on bumpy roads can do the same. Stacked blocks I think should be illegal, just like adding a block to the front of leaf sprung truck is.

And, word of advice: Being fairly new to the forum (just as I am), asking for advice and then criticizing the advice given, and resorting to name calling and personal insults isn't the best first impression. You're about the same age I am from what I can see, insulting the knowledge of those older and have had personal first hand experience with these trucks is pretty damn stupid. I'm 25, I've owned 3 2nd gens, and browsing these forums on a daily basis I still learn stuff to this day that I never knew before.

As for my first hand experience, I work in a 4x4 shop where we build and lift jeeps and trucks on a daily basis. It's easy to apply the same knowledge from one lift to another, but it doesn't always work, because of what I stated above: every vehicle is different. The concept and ideas may be the same, but different vehicles require different attention. Much like women.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
I disagree when I get to my pc I will post a warning right from skyjacker to not use spring spacer with any lift spring.

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Wow. I just read through this entire thread, and I feel like I've lost a few brain cells.

Just to clarify a few things up here.

1) A 3" kit will clear 35's with the right offset. I have 4th gen 17's on 315/70r17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. I rubbed like crazy on the lower control arms and frame. Spaced it out with 2" wheel spacers, and it clears fine aside from when I flex the truck out, then it rubs the bumper and fenders. For street DD, it runs fine. So, a wheel with 3.5-4" backspace on say a 7-8" wheel it should clear just fine.

2) Majority of spacers on 2nd gen rams are considered "tophats" which bolt into the coil tower. Use of them with lifted coil springs is not considered "dangerous" but what is dangerous is not using the required parts to accommodate the lift. Some higher end 3" lifts include control arms, some don't. If new control arms are not supplied, your stock arms are only considered "fine" because there is usually enough adjustment in the cam bolts to adjust for the lift height. Replacement arms when used will usually require little to no adjustment on the cam bolts. A 5" lift requires control arms, there is not enough adjustment there. 3" control arms even will not have enough adjustment for the additional 2" of lift. So, as example. Skyjacker makes 2" lift coils. Using a 3" tophat and 2" coils will equal 5" of lift, but you cannot just throw the coils in. You'll need the 5" control arms, track bar bracket, and pitman arm. The track bar bracket needs to on the frame side in order to allow the track bar to match the angle of the drag link with the pitman arm, otherwise bump steer will become a massive issue. A track bar bracket on the axle side is used when doing a high steer kit, requiring the stock pitman arm. Not using the drop pitman arm and track bar bracket on 5" of lift will result in an extremely unstable truck. Turning will become harder as you'll have to pull harder to turn the wheel, and straight lines will be just short of impossible. You will be all over the road.

3) "Lifting a few vehicles in the past" does not make you an expert in the field of lifting every type of vehicle. There's a difference in everything. Jeeps and 2nd gen rams use the same style of suspension in the front, which consists of a 4 link. But the driving characteristics are different. A ram will handle a 3" lift with ease, while Jeeps begin to require additional parts to actually drive correctly.

4) Rear blocks are always frowned upon. Going with a taller block will increase chances of axle wrap (requiring traction bars). Axle wrap can cause a lot of issues, ranging from added stress and snapping u-bolts to loosening nuts. Off road with taller blocks and bouncing around on bumpy roads can do the same. Stacked blocks I think should be illegal, just like adding a block to the front of leaf sprung truck is.

And, word of advice: Being fairly new to the forum (just as I am), asking for advice and then criticizing the advice given, and resorting to name calling and personal insults isn't the best first impression. You're about the same age I am from what I can see, insulting the knowledge of those older and have had personal first hand experience with these trucks is pretty damn stupid. I'm 25, I've owned 3 2nd gens, and browsing these forums on a daily basis I still learn stuff to this day that I never knew before.

As for my first hand experience, I work in a 4x4 shop where we build and lift jeeps and trucks on a daily basis. It's easy to apply the same knowledge from one lift to another, but it doesn't always work, because of what I stated above: every vehicle is different. The concept and ideas may be the same, but different vehicles require different attention. Much like women.

1. Yes you can definitely fit 35's on a 3" lift, rule of thumb with no rubbing is 5" though. I wouldn't run a 12.5" wide tire on a 7" wide wheel, tried it once and it did not end well for the tire. 8" minimum for 12.5" is my rule of thumb.

2. There are companies who tell you specifically not to use spacers with their lift springs. Skyjacker Suspension is one for example. The rest of this part I agree with :D

3. Agreed

4. Agreed

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not recommending combining spacers and springs by any means. I'm just saying for those who choose to ignore the warnings, it's not as simple and "throwing the lift springs in because it worked before with just spacers"

There's more to it.

My wheels are temporary until i can afford the wheels i want at 300 a piece, but knock on wood, no problems yet.

Jimmy68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2L Magnum
I'm not recommending combining spacers and springs by any means. I'm just saying for those who choose to ignore the warnings, it's not as simple and "throwing the lift springs in because it worked before with just spacers"

There's more to it.

My wheels are temporary until i can afford the wheels i want at 300 a piece, but knock on wood, no problems yet.
$300 apiece? All four of mine will be $300 :roflsquared:

Johnn123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

There's more to it.

Gotcha. So saying same thing just in a different way.

I ran 35x12.5 on stock 2g 7" wide wheels, 2 months in one tire was toast. I'd love to get some nicer 17x8"/9" wheels myself but no cash at the moment for that :D

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
For those who did not follow the Sj link Johnn123 posted.

Under NO circumstances are SKYJACKER® coil springs to be used in conjunction with any type of coil spring or spring tower block/spacer. The use of coil spring block/spacers will allow ANY coil spring to exceed its designed stress and travel loads allowing it be overstressed, oversprung, fatigued, and possibly break. SKYJACKER® warranty is void under any such application.

ramburger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 318
always have run spacers on every ram ive owned on with sj springs. LOL. always. not a big deal. sj just doesnt want the warrenty hastle so they rid themselves of it.

Merc225hp

Reaction score
Ram Year
truck
Engine
gas
So your smarter than all the r&d people at sj? That what your saying right.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
$300 apiece? All four of mine will be $300 :roflsquared:

Ultra 103 Satin black beadlocks. This will probably happen when I have a new daily driver where I don't have to get harassed about DOT laws. Been eyeballing the Rebel for a couple months now :crazy:

Gotcha. So saying same thing just in a different way.

I ran 35x12.5 on stock 2g 7" wide wheels, 2 months in one tire was toast. I'd love to get some nicer 17x8"/9" wheels myself but no cash at the moment for that :D

I haven't had any issues like I said. I'd have to double check, but I think the 4th gen wheels might be 7.5" wide, but I believe that's something I read so I very well could be incorrect so don't quote me on that.

For those who did not follow the Sj link Johnn123 posted.

Under NO circumstances are SKYJACKER® coil springs to be used in conjunction with any type of coil spring or spring tower block/spacer. The use of coil spring block/spacers will allow ANY coil spring to exceed its designed stress and travel loads allowing it be overstressed, oversprung, fatigued, and possibly break. SKYJACKER® warranty is void under any such application.

I'm not familiar with Skyjacker's springs, so I apologize and retract my statement about their particular springs. All I was simply trying to state was if anyone does decide to ignore the advice given about combining spacers and springs, it's not a simple toss the the springs in when you already have the spacers just because it worked previously with the stock/3" control arms. It may be only 2 inches of a difference, but that two inches is night and day on a Ram truck. I've done a ton of research as I'm currently in the waiting stage of doing my truck whenever we have enough room for me to pull it into our shop on a weekend.

NightMares

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
always have run spacers on every ram ive owned on with sj springs. LOL. always. not a big deal. sj just doesnt want the warrenty hastle so they rid themselves of it.

So based on your logic I should be able to combine my 5" lift and parts with my 3" spacers and run 8 inches of lift with ZERO problems, right?