7 pin connector falling out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk00rt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
when I hook up my trailer, my trailer connector is not making a tight connection and sometimes when I pull the trailer the connector will move and loose contact. is there any good way to tighten up the connection points, I tried a very small screw driver.
thank you
Rob

cbsmith

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 Outdoorsman
Engine
5.7 Hemi
If you have the factory 7 pin connector there should be a tab on the opening cap that hooks on to and holds a tab on the trailer connector when it is inserted. You shouldn't be able to remove the trailer connector from the truck socket without having to lift up on the 7 pin cover to release it.

River19

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
If you have the factory 7 pin connector there should be a tab on the opening cap that hooks on to and holds a tab on the trailer connector when it is inserted. You shouldn't be able to remove the trailer connector from the truck socket without having to lift up on the 7 pin cover to release it.

I wonder if he lost the spring that applied the pressure for the cap.....is that even possible? I guess anything is possible.......

clh1220

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Something is broke or it's not getting in there all the way. That shouldn't happen.

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
as mentioned, the cap on the truck should actually lock the plug in. If it isn't there is something missing.

If the cap is holding but pins aren't making contact I have run across where the pins are bent out of position and not making solid contact. To correct I have just bent the pins inward to assure they make solid contact...

OP
OP
B

blk00rt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I knew about the lock and had some issues with it while locked in. I bend the pins in some and try this weekend.
Thank you

OP
OP
B

blk00rt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok have the factory setup, I used the lock on the cap and took it for a drive, around sharp corners or a good series of bumps it disconnects then reconnects itself. I am going to check for loose grounds and wires.

audio1der

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Holy crap- I never knew the cap locked the plug in place! I was going to look for an aftermarket receptacle which would lock it in. Awesome- thanks!

batcavedave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi etorque
Had the same issue with 2 different Rams. Now I lock the cover down with 2 wraps of electrical tape , connector never moves.