8.4 Upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Security Code Needed?

I'm thinking of purchasing a used 8.4 radio. I'm upgrading from the smaller 5.0. I have a 2017 Express CC.

This is what is included. It is from a totaled 2017 Ram 2500. Some harnesses are included, but I'm assuming that I'll need an extra one or two. The guy will provide the VIN#, but he doesn't have the security code. Is the security code needed?

full

full

full

full

Last edited:

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Can go online with radio and Vin and get a code, i had to do that when I bought a 2015 8.4an radio from a wrecked truck. There are a few places that do it. Not sure which ones cheapest now, think I seen some do it for $17. I got my code from Nav repair.

18harvest

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
for these parts to work you will need the conversion harness from m2 mods. also unless the nav has been activated.this is a ra3 non nav radio.and check if the hvac part number is right for a 1500 I think 2500 are differant.check out the thread on updating to 8.4 radio.I don't know what the asking price is but with some searching these parts can be had for 400 of less.

OP
OP
Donn

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I figured that I might need a specific harness from M2. The asking price is $500 flat.

The fan module is because of the 4 speed vs. the 7 speed correct?

Since this truck already had the 8.4 it should'nt need a special harness conversion...Am I thinking correctly?

Im not really interested in the navigation part. I'd rather just use android or my phone for navigation.

Am I missing something here on navigation?

I've read the huge thread on the 8.4 upgrade, but I've forgotten a lot of what I read. I'll have to re-read some.

(edited for spelling & to combine post)

Thanks,

Don

Last edited:
OP
OP
Donn

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
(edited for spelling & to combine post)

Last edited:

duunoit

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Im not really interested in the navigation part. I'd rather just use android or my phone for navigation.

Am I missing something here on navigation?

I've read the huge thread on the 8.4 upgrade, but I've forgotted a lot of what I read. I'll have to re-read some.

If you are wanting to use Android Auto through the radio, this one won't work. It's a VP3 and you would need to find a more expensive UAS or UAQ.

OP
OP
Donn

Donn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For the price of this unit, I'm fine with not having the Android Auto. Because I think that I'd have to upgrade my module in the fold down seat/armrest also...correct?

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
For the price of this unit, I'm fine with not having the Android Auto. Because I think that I'd have to upgrade my module in the fold down seat/armrest also...correct?
Correct, not sure if we are allowed to plug anyone so if it violates any terms please feel free to delete but I had great dealings with "4th gen ram electronics" he should be able to provide you with any parts and pieces you may need and discuss your options...

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Also not sure, have to ask the folks in Alpha OBD forum, may be able to activate Nav feature...not sure

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Also not sure, have to ask the folks in Alpha OBD forum, may be able to activate Nav feature...not sure

No, nav can't be activated by alpha, is a like $200+ code that only authorized dealers etc can get. I rarely use my nav on my 8.4an. Main reason I bought a 8.4an was for HD radio. I need to buy a security code for my stock 2013 8.4a radio so I can sell it. Think there is a app on play store you can get code too but you buy a 1 use code thing for like $15.