8 speed transmission problems, or just how it is?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I had a 2000 F150 with the V6, drove it over 300,000 miles with no engine failures at all, except I was getting a valve stem leak toward the end causing a plug to foul. That was a great little engine in my opinion.

You MUST be referring to the little 4.2,same here, i had a gold 99. Loved that truck, i got it up to 210,000, bought with 160,000, sold it. Still in great shape.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Track Hawks get the 8HP95 and as far as I've heard the newer 5th Gens are getting the upgraded 8HP75,but whether that's just the e-torque trucks i'm not sure.TCS offers a kit to upgrade the 8HP70 to the 8HP75 which increases it's holding capacity a fair bit.

Haas the last numbers in the trannies designation refer to it's torque rating in Newton Meters.The little tranny is rated to 450 Newton/Meters, the 8HP70 is rated to 700 Newton /Meters and the 8HP90 is rated to 900 Newton /Meters.700 Newton/Meters is basically a 516 lb-ft of torque rating,and that's a continuous rating

Thanks for that info. I had no idea.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven't towed with it but I carry loads in the bed and I think it's great. In fact 3rd gear on this 8 speed is lower than first gear was in my old F-150 with a 3:55 rear end. I don't drive with a heavy foot, but when I do need to punch it this truck takes off! Unless you're going to tow a lot I think the 3:21 is a great choice with the 8-speed. I get 19-20 mpg combined, and 23 to 24 freeway only.

Mine is a Tradesman with the black bumpers, but upgraded interior. When I bought it the ones that came with the chrome package and sliding rear window, which I didn't want, had the 3:55 gearing.

I am really happy to hear that. Otherwise, trying to find 3:55 in a V6 was really limiting my choices.

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
You MUST be referring to the little 4.2,same here, i had a gold 99. Loved that truck, i got it up to 210,000, bought with 160,000, sold it. Still in great shape.

Yep, the 4.2. I had read that the year or two before they had some problems with the front cover and/or a plastic intake manifold, but I didn't have to open that engine up once. I only had a problem with the intake manifold runner system on the back, and was able to fix that without removing anything from the engine (dealer said they'd have to remove the intake manifold to get to it). It was actually just a couple broken plastic clips that hold the actuator rods in place. Very difficult to get to them because they were between the back of the engine and the firewall, but with coat hanger wire and a whole lot of patience I got it done for less than $5 in parts,. Dealer wanted about $700 or more.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Heard about that issue didnt have it. But the teo years prior your referring water would leak into cylinder obernight and when you would go to crank it would hydro lock/explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tap4154

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V6
Heard about that issue didnt have it. But the teo years prior your referring water would leak into cylinder obernight and when you would go to crank it would hydro lock/explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I had heard something about that. BTW the other minor problem I had was there was a rubber elbow for the PVC system under the throttle body that would develop the hole and cause air mixture problems. Once you knew where it was it was fairly easy to replace, and I think I replaced it twice. For some reason it would develop a hole right at the bend. But it's only a $5 part.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
Curious question...

Why would a person choose the V6 over the V8?

Fuel economy isn't enough difference to really make a difference... and I can't think of any other reason that makes sense to me.

Power.... today's V6's make as much or more power than all but a few big block V8's from the 70's and 80's.

Today's small block V8's make as much or more power than all but a select few big blocks from the muscle car era (1960's).

Lastly.... today's big block V8's make as much or more power than the engines from Nascars heyday (1980's).

All that is to say.... today.... power isn't the limiting factor for everyday truck users...it is most often the transmission that is the limiting factor.

My 2 cents,
Given a choice of anything from 4 to 16 cylinders.... I'll take the V8 every time in a truck, V6's have their place in cars and lighter vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I agree. I love the 4.7L in my 2013 1500. Best engine i’ve ever used in my lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone XS Max using Tapatalk

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
I hope so. But anytime I hear of a transmission doing something other than what it's supposed to, I always assume that to mean a shortened lifespan, due to undue stress on internal components.

All good buddy! i understand where you’re coming from. But the 8SP is VERY reliable, and you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All good buddy! i understand where you’re coming from. But the 8SP is VERY reliable, and you shouldnt have anything to worry about.

As soon as I see where I land come tax time, I should be pulling the trigger.

TheEnder

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L V8
As soon as I see where I land come tax time, I should be pulling the trigger.

Awesome. I know she won’t let you down.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I agree. I love the 4.7L in my 2013 1500. Best engine i’ve ever used in my lifetime.

The 4.7 is a 287 cubed V-8,it's not a V-6,you'll find that out when you do the plugs on it,lol. It also has 16 plugs like the Hemi,aarrgghh,lol. There's an upper and lower row of plugs on the little engine,and one row should be changed more often then the other row,but I forget which row is which now,as I got rid of my old 4.7 equipped 2013 quite awhile ago,one row is easy to get at,the other row is a bit tougher to do.The upper row is sort of hidden too,it doesn't really leap out at you like the lower with it's external plug wires does.

Saulvazq

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2015 rt I the 8 speed trans o have a slow shift from first to second gear I get the bump every once in a while when I slow down slowly from Second gear to first gear but that’s not what concerns me from what I have read On here when I’m Accelerating slowly and I passed 50 miles an hour The truck revs up slightly faster and then goes back to normal out of nowhere almost like if I hit the gas really quick and Let off like if it slipped for like a second but if I accelerate harder it doesn’t do it what do you guys think

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
from what I have read On here when I’m Accelerating slowly and I passed 50 miles an hour The truck revs up slightly faster and then goes back to normal out of nowhere almost like if I hit the gas really quick and Let off like if it slipped for like a second but if I accelerate harder it doesn’t do it what do you guys think
That sounds like a shift flare which the trans will do to make a smooth shift. I'll get what sounds like happens to you around 30 mph if I'm on the accelerator slightly then back off ever so slightly.

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That sounds like a shift flare which the trans will do to make a smooth shift. I'll get what sounds like happens to you around 30 mph if I'm on the accelerator slightly then back off ever so slightly.

You don't "anticipate" shifts and let of so it will. I have this ******** habit, don't it forever, in my mind, i think it takes the load off of the tranny so discs slip is minimized. However if i understand this transmission correctly this is stupid because i believe its almost like the dual clutch manual, in other words , nothing unlocks until its locked into the next gear, always contact in other words. Not sure.

Any way i swear mine does this sometimes, or was it one of those in my mind sort of things.

One more thing, this flare thing, would it possibly be the thing it does when your cruising in high gear and say go over a small hump, let off the trottle ever so slightly, the rpms bump couple of hundred, get back on the gas they go back. Told this is normal as the torque converter is unlocking for that moment to i guess eliminate dynamic braking, or drag. Like pushing the clutch in on manual and letting out.

hoe...

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Impressive, i was just talking to a buddy of mine, (mechanic) whether i should change or never change, this seems to answer that question. I was just telling him, i haven't ever heard of any automatic going over say 310,000 under no conditions, ( not that there aren't any of course).

Is that person on here?
I have a zf 6 speed in a Ford pickup with almost 1 million km on it. 2 others with 500000+ on them.

All fluids changed at 60000km Intervals

6hp26 is the model

They have no problem with the Ford 500hp turbo 6 and coyote v8 in the fords here...

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a zf 6 speed in a Ford puckup with almost 1 million km on it. 2 others with 500000+ on them.

All fluids ckanged at 60000km I tervals

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Well this is great news, thank you.

joels

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s back! Approx 4000 miles of driving without any bumps or jerks after driveshaft replacement and I slowly started feeling it. Very insignificant at first but now after over 7000 miles it’s the same as before. I even feel it at times, mostly high speeds over 65mph if I let go off the accelerator and then a slight bump when I get back on the gas.

cnitty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s back! Approx 4000 miles of driving without any bumps or jerks after driveshaft replacement and I slowly started feeling it. Very insignificant at first but now after over 7000 miles it’s the same as before. I even feel it at times, mostly high speeds over 65mph if I let go off the accelerator and then a slight bump when I get back on the gas.
Same here.
I'm thinking of removing and putting grease on the DS spline.
Any grease recommendations?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
When I bought my truck it did the 2-1 bump coming to a stop, whined under heavy accelleration and the cruise control intermittently didn't work. Once they replaced the valve body all those problems went away, but they wouldn't replace anything because they called it normal until it started puking fluid everywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500