87 Dodge Mud truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperSwamper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone, I have a 1987 dodge power ram w-150. The other day I was on my way home and when I got about 5 houses down from my house the truck ran completely out of gas. Ever since then The truck has been running like ****. The truck runs but when you gun the gas it just boggs out unless you let off. So I did a complete tune up (plugs and wires, cap and rotor). And for a minute it ran alright but when I went to pull it out it started to bog out when I let the clutch out.......... Please help me!!!!!!
What could be the problem.....???

reefguy89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Is there a fuel filter on it. If so change that sounds like a fuel delivery problem. Letting it run out of gas can cause it to suck up what ever **** is in the tank thus clogging anything and everything it can. What size engine is it?

USMC1188

Reaction score
Ram Year
None
Engine
Truckless...
I agree with the other guys. I would go straight for the fuel filter and assume it is clogged up from the crud at the bottom of the tank. From there, look at the fuel pump as Robb said

magnum318

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 318
in addition to the above suggestions, I would recommend using some Sea Foam. Get yourself 2 cans. Pour one can into a full gas tank and then take off the air filter and dribble some into the carb or tbi while the engine is running.

Dribble some in and the engine will sputter. Do that with about a third of the can then pour some in fast enough to choke and kill the engine. Should use up about half the can. Let it sit for about an hour then start it up and go for a drive.

You could use the remaining half of a can to repeat the procedure if needed or you can add it to the oil.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9350 using Tapatalk

TJDdiesel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
fuel pump... don't remember but pretty sure that is a in tank electric fuel pump. if any electric fuel pump in a vehicle runs dry it will cook itself. the fuel passing through is actually its way of cooling itself and providing lubrication. without that it will cook in no time at all. best of luck. try that out if you have not allready found the issue