8hp70 heater bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For him to do it as a business it complicates things, I do it as just a joe schmo thing. Canadian shipping is no big deal for me, just sent another one today, in fact.

There's a few of my parts floating around Australia, several in Switzerland and a bunch in Canada

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For him to do it as a business it complicates things, I do it as just a joe schmo thing. Canadian shipping is no big deal for me, just sent another one today, in fact.

There's a few of my parts floating around Australia, several in Switzerland and a bunch in Canada

Do you prefer that we use the new website for US orders?

I have a US post box and no difficulty connecting while using a VPN. :cool:

OP
OP
caulk04

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yes, he's starting up his business and I'm simply serving as his supplier now. For the time being I'll handle any orders he chooses to defer but I'm going to forward any inquiries to him first.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just got my Tracking # thanks !

Also got myself the Sonnax Zip Kit and the Improvised Racing High-Flow Engine & Transmission Oil Cooler Thermostat :cool:

All thats left will be my FRP re-tune for the tarns.
Does that kit benefit the trans or is it just a refresh kit

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Does that kit benefit the trans or is it just a refresh kit
I have a buddy running it in his 750 rwhp turbo'd 392 4X4 and he thinks it's one of the reasons his 8HP70 is still alive.It's easier to just let you read their site,then explain it Khris.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I read their site but it pretty much says just as a refresh. Not really a “performance upgrade”.
I have a buddy running it in his 750 rwhp turbo'd 392 4X4 and he thinks it's one of the reasons his 8HP70 is still alive.It's easier to just let you read their site,then explain it Khris.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I read their site but it pretty much says just as a refresh. Not really a “performance upgrade”.
Yea i don't know if i'd call it a performance upgrade.It cures leaking passages/seals etc,so the internal pressures stay up to par,helping to keep the transmission alive a little better when you start throwing more power at it

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I understand what Fiat Chrysler is doing here but they sure went about it odd. Like why not have a solenoid controlled by the ECU and a thermistor reading to open the passage, and have the passage larger for better flow.
Like they spent all this money to design and make the heater, and then use a budget thermostat setup to control the flow through it.

On my old F150 3.7 the standard transmission cooler is part of the radiator assembly and when the temps got too high the rad fans would increase speed. The auxiliary cooler was an additional fin and tube job that would mount infront of the rad so the fans increasing speed would still boost cooling for all fluids. There were no grille shutters, or a transmission pre heater.

Watch, with all these features my Ram will average the same fuel economy my 2014 Ford did lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You guys ought to see what GM did to.the cooling system on their Duramax Diesel 3.0L.

Once again, the search for every tenth mile per gallon due to EPA.CAFE mandates.
Not only is complexity for minuscule benefit unreliable and expensive, it often isn't even designed correctly.

It's little wonder we milk our older trucks into the ground.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I understand what Fiat Chrysler is doing here but they sure went about it odd. Like why not have a solenoid controlled by the ECU and a thermistor reading to open the passage, and have the passage larger for better flow.
Like they spent all this money to design and make the heater, and then use a budget thermostat setup to control the flow through it.

On my old F150 3.7 the standard transmission cooler is part of the radiator assembly and when the temps got too high the rad fans would increase speed. The auxiliary cooler was an additional fin and tube job that would mount infront of the rad so the fans increasing speed would still boost cooling for all fluids. There were no grille shutters, or a transmission pre heater.

Watch, with all these features my Ram will average the same fuel economy my 2014 Ford did lol
The transmission cooler is in the top part of the A/C condensor ,so if you have issues with the cooler,you're also on the hook for an A/C evacute and recharge

G-Ride990

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good lord.

Aren't these using the YF1234 refrigerant as well? Last I checked that was worth a few internal organs per lb
Yeah that is the refrigerant we have in our trucks. Not cheap! And I think our AC sucks compared to the last gen. But I do live in AZ where it gets hot AF in the summer.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah that is the refrigerant we have in our trucks. Not cheap! And I think our AC sucks compared to the last gen. But I do live in AZ where it gets hot AF in the summer.
The 1234 refrigerent sucks in my opinion to G. My old 98 Regal with a bazillion miles on it,and 134,has never had any A/C work and will freeze you out on a hot day,in comparision,even my regular cab with 1234 doesn't get anywhere near as cold

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I worked in the refrigeration service industry for 38 years and had never heard of R1234YF until buying the Ram. Saw so many new flavors of refrigerant come and go the last 10 years before retiring, would not be surprised it 1234YF is discontinued soon. My opinion the old R12 worked better than any of these new flavors for automotive use.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yeah, the thing is R-1234YF isn't a global warming gas when released into the atmosphere, that's why it was developed. Read up on it. Per usual, such things don't work well and cost more.

Kind of like how FDA finally acknowledged "new" Sudafed doesn't work. I mean, what the hell good is something if it doesn't even meet the functional requirement of the product? Might as well put colored water in there and call it good.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah, the thing is R-1234YF isn't a global warming gas when released into the atmosphere, that's why it was developed. Read up on it. Per usual, such things don't work well and cost more.

Kind of like how FDA finally acknowledged "new" Sudafed doesn't work. I mean, what the hell good is something if it doesn't even meet the functional requirement of the product? Might as well put colored water in there and call it good.
According to my A/C guy,1234 is also explosive under the right conditions.

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
According to my A/C guy,1234 is also explosive under the right conditions.
It is, but there are a lot more explosive things in greater concentrations in a vehicle.

I'm waiting for the new A2 flammable refrigerants to hit the residential and light commercial market. But yeah the super low GWP is why some of these blends exist. I don't know automotive guidelines, but I feel like I read industry was trying to move to GWP of 800 or less for the next group of refrigerants.
All the common/cheap stuff is GWP 1800+. I think 134a was like 1500 or something