8hp70 heater bypass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 1234 refrigerent sucks in my opinion to G. My old 98 Regal with a bazillion miles on it,and 134,has never had any A/C work and will freeze you out on a hot day,in comparision,even my regular cab with 1234 doesn't get anywhere near as cold
Please tell me you have a Regal GS with the 3.8SC

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Please tell me you have a Regal GS with the 3.8SC
Yes it has the boosted 3.8,transmission is tired though,and it's not worth fixing the tranny.It's our winter beater,as it still starts at -30 unplugged,lol.I owned the car when it was a year old,then sold it for a few years,and bought it back a few years ago.The guy i sold it to,let his 2 boys use it ,so it was pretty well beat into the ground when i bought it back for $175.00 ,he was gonna donate it to the Kidney Foundation for the tax break,so i gave him what he'd of got for a tax break,put a good set of winter tires on it,and turned it into a winter beater.It still pulls pretty good on the highway,but you don't dare floor it in first gear as the sprag is hurt ,but once it's into 2nd your good to go

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yeah, the thing is R-1234YF isn't a global warming gas when released into the atmosphere, that's why it was developed. Read up on it. Per usual, such things don't work well and cost more.

Kind of like how FDA finally acknowledged "new" Sudafed doesn't work. I mean, what the hell good is something if it doesn't even meet the functional requirement of the product? Might as well put colored water in there and call it good.

In my last 10 years before retiring I saw many new refrigerants come out that were so called non ozone depleting, they are being phased out now because they say they cause global warming.
IMO the old CFC refrigerants worked great. What better way to grow the industry by claiming they caused global warming, the mfg's of refrigeration and HVAC equipment have made a fortune on sales due to having to use different refrigerants, all which were a PITA due to they cause more sludge build up in the TXV's and metering devices which was rare with the old CFC refrigerants.
My guess they will soon claim that R1234YF is a global warming gas and it will be phased out at the expense of the consumer.
Have been retired 5 years but when I see younger guys I worked with they say that most of the new refrigerants we swapped over to are now being changed out to new gases, that will for sure affect your grocery bill as the stores have to spend a ton of cash to swap them again.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
My guess they will soon claim that R1234YF is a global warming gas and it will be phased out at the expense of the consumer.
Water vapor in our atmosphere is a cause of global warming (bet you never heard that from the experts), and of course, water vapor has been around forever and people can't control it. Water vapor makes up around 92 to 96 percent of the greenhouse gases. There are two sides to the global warming debate, the scientists that claim it and the scientists that denit it. Want to know the truth, follow the money.

I'm willing to bet there is an entire lobbyist industry just for refrigerants, causing government regulation changes and lining the pockets of industry suppliers.

JamesCrowe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
R22 was great, it had a next to zero ODP, and a half decent GWP.
There is still tons of R22 equipment out there, but at least there are "drop in" replacements out there.
All the HFCs using that God forsaken POE oil are on the chopping block. Like R410a, good riddance when it goes away in the next decade, but I'm sure it's replacement will be even less enjoyable.
I've never envied automotive techs for AC side work. Hopefully evaporators don't leak like sieves on new vehicles like they do in residential and light commercial.
I'll have to dig up a P&T chart on 1234YF, see if it's using bonkers high head pressure like R410A.
Nothing like seeing 600+ PSI with dirty condensers or failed condenser fans etc.

04fxdwgi

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 1500 Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is still tons of R22 equipment out there, but at least there are "drop in" replacements out there.
All the HFCs using that God forsaken POE oil are on the chopping block. Like R410a, good riddance when it goes away in the next decade, but I'm sure it's replacement will be even less enjoyable.
I've never envied automotive techs for AC side work. Hopefully evaporators don't leak like sieves on new vehicles like they do in residential and light commercial.
I'll have to dig up a P&T chart on 1234YF, see if it's using bonkers high head pressure like R410A.
Nothing like seeing 600+ PSI with dirty condensers or failed condenser fans etc.
LOL. When I was a Commissioning Agent for 12 years, just before retirement, had to actually test those R410A systems safeties under real life conditions.

Imagine running a 1500 ton, chiller under load, then disabling /reducing the condenser water flow, so not to trip chiller, but to get a high head condition enough to trip the HHP safety at 620 PSI? Big problem was (won't name the manufacturer) that 25% of the HHP switches didn't work and wouldn't shut down the compressor.

Had to act fast at 625 PSI to prevent a catastrophic failure.

Good times

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
R22 works great for medium and high temp applications however for low temp use it sucks as it runs very high discharge temps and causes a lot of sludge. Use to have to change oil on a low temp R22 system, it looked like year old coffee.

MRFREEZE57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
LOL. When I was a Commissioning Agent for 12 years, just before retirement, had to actually test those R410A systems safeties under real life conditions.

Imagine running a 1500 ton, chiller under load, then disabling /reducing the condenser water flow, so not to trip chiller, but to get a high head condition enough to trip the HHP safety at 620 PSI? Big problem was (won't name the manufacturer) that 25% of the HHP switches didn't work and wouldn't shut down the compressor.

Had to act fast at 625 PSI to prevent a catastrophic failure.

Good times
I remember when R410A came out we had to buy another set of gauges due to the much higher operating pressures.
Would hate to be in the machine room of a big chiller when that high pressure relief valve let go.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

A new source for the Ram 1500 8HP thermal bypass for anyone considering it.

This is awesome Jessie...
Thanks for keep on making these. I tell every ram owner about them. Although I have to explain what it is and does because they are like WHAT??? lol

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
Yes it has the boosted 3.8,transmission is tired though,and it's not worth fixing the tranny.It's our winter beater,as it still starts at -30 unplugged,lol.I owned the car when it was a year old,then sold it for a few years,and bought it back a few years ago.The guy i sold it to,let his 2 boys use it ,so it was pretty well beat into the ground when i bought it back for $175.00 ,he was gonna donate it to the Kidney Foundation for the tax break,so i gave him what he'd of got for a tax break,put a good set of winter tires on it,and turned it into a winter beater.It still pulls pretty good on the highway,but you don't dare floor it in first gear as the sprag is hurt ,but once it's into 2nd your good to go

No **** huh???

Thats where I got my name from. I had a 98 Grand Prix GTP for about 20 years with lots done to it. Ported blower, rockers, ZZP intercooler, TOG headers, 2.8 pulley, lowered, sway bars etc!!! I loved that car. No lie about the trans. I went through three of them. It's the only thing bad about the car other then the rockers and rear towers rust bad in salt, the motor is a tank if taken care of.
It's now rotting away up in Michigan somewhere with a blown motor.:sad72::sad72::sad72::sad72::sad72:

Also had a 2001 Regal GS for about 5 years. I thought I would like it because it was the same as the GTP just slower. I should have kept since it still had super low miles but got bored of it. Wanted a V8. So sold it to get my last truck. The Orange RAM.

Attachments

• DSC08003.JPG
    DSC08003.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20180330_172649.jpg
    IMG_20180330_172649.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 6

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No **** huh???

Thats where I got my name from. I had a 98 Grand Prix GTP for about 20 years with lots done to it. Ported blower, rockers, ZZP intercooler, TOG headers, 2.8 pulley, lowered, sway bars etc!!! I loved that car. No lie about the trans. I went through three of them. It's the only thing bad about the car other then the rockers and rear towers rust bad in salt, the motor is a tank if taken care of.
It's now rotting away up in Michigan somewhere with a blown motor.:sad72::sad72::sad72::sad72::sad72:

Also had a 2001 Regal GS for about 5 years. I thought I would like it because it was the same as the GTP just slower. I should have kept since it still had super low miles but got bored of it. Wanted a V8. So sold it to get my last truck. The Orange RAM.
My younger brother had one of the aluminium 5.3 GXP's,if you could keep it out of the ditch,the car was surprising as hell,but the torque steer it had was scary,lol. The later 3.8's were bulletproof,but the driveline behind them sucked,lol.This one still starts at -30 unplugged no problem,lol. Your 98 GTP would of been quick,theres one that shows up at our local track every once inawhile,and it runs high 11's, what all is done to it,i don't know,but it's a total sleeper

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I plan to buy caulk04's mod. But have come across this which let's you choose noal. 25% and full by pass. Odd thing is the company no longer has it on their site. Scary thing i is I think the design may leak. What's the part number for the new black plug?1000007660.jpg

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I plan to buy caulk04's mod. But have come across this which let's you choose noal. 25% and full by pass. Odd thing is the company no longer has it on their site. Scary thing i is I think the design may leak. What's the part number for the new black plug?View attachment 539455
Seems a bit complicated,especially compared to Jesse's kit. Don't quote me on this,but i don't think the black plug is a servicable item,i think you have to buy the whole thermal management unit to get a new one,so be careful removing it.Helps if you get under the truck and wash the hell out of the thermal management unit at your local coin-op carwash,before you work on installing Jesse's kit. Angled snap ring pliars make it easier to remove the snap ring,a touch of WD40 or something similiar sprayed on the edges of the plug helps when you pull it out.If your truck is a 4X4 remove the front driveshaft

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I live in the Midwest where for 2 weeks of the year our high is negative 30. Wind chill is 50 below. Will I have problems with caulk04's mod running too cold for the transmission? Or is it a trade off. Slightly more wear for those 2 weeks with less wear for the other 50weeks of the year?

Not looking forward to removing the front drive shaft.

TC

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Removing the front driveshaft took the most amount of time for me. PB Blaster for an hour soak then hit it with 18V DeWalt impact gun. Factory used a ton of blue threadlocker on each bolt making them tough to remove. I'm sure an air impact will not have any problems.

Good luck.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I live in the Midwest where for 2 weeks of the year our high is negative 30. Wind chill is 50 below. Will I have problems with caulk04's mod running too cold for the transmission? Or is it a trade off. Slightly more wear for those 2 weeks with less wear for the other 50weeks of the year?

Alternate question - did you have problems before EPA made truck makers do ridiculous things like this for miniscule fuel mileage gains in the 1st place?

I'd have no problem with it, despite the extra expense, if they'd have made a proper design instead of a half-ass cheapo device to get the thing off the showroom floor. I mean, look how reliable engine cooling systems and thermostats are. There was no reason other than cheapness to half-ass thermostat control for transmission oil.

None.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

The thermal management unit is also a heater,coolant runs threw it and heats the transmission fluid.
Garret is selling a stand alone thermostat assembly for the 8 speeds,which might not be a bad idea for where you are.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Keeping in mind you don't get any oil heating until the coolant gets warm.

If the thing will start, that is. Batteries way more important that transmission oil.

Forsakentalon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keeping in mind you don't get any oil heating until the coolant gets warm.

If the thing will start, that is. Batteries way more important that transmission oil.
Never had a problem with her starting even at minus 30. The noises are a bit louder but I gotta go to work. And I do work outside. I have made it easier for her though with a block heater and I upgraded to an H8 battery also the big 3 upgrade. I did these during my 2nd year of owning her which would be 2022 with about 50k miles.