8HP70 Trans Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SugarFree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi V8
Hello All Looking to drop the Pan and switch out the fluid on my 2014 Ram 1500, Im almost at 60K miles and really dont want to spend $$$ having the dealer do a 60K service.

I know the Transmission Fluid says "Lifetime" but thats sounds suspicious . No fluid I know of in a vehicle is lifetime (in my opinion)

Ive purchased a OEM 8HP70 Pan Mopar 68233701AA

Its the fluid thats killing me Cant believe the Mopar 8-9 Fluid is 30+ dollars a quart

Ive come across a product called Rowe Hightec ATF 9008 which carries the part number for Chrysler \ Mopar 68157995AA & ZF S671 090 312 of which part number lists as Mopar 8 & 9 \ ZF Lifeguard 8 Transmission Fluid

Any of you guys tried this Rowe Hightec ATF 9008?

Attachments

• PI-ROWE-25063-GB-05092017.pdf
    623.5 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My opinion... Don't change it... It's a closed system and with almost 60k miles, why mess with it? Certainly don't mess with it and not put stock fluid in. I'd imagine you're potentially and unnecessarily putting your warranty at risk. It's not like it has 150K or even 100K.

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also, fyi... My 2011 300c had a closed transmission system too... So they've been doing it for awhile now and I've never heard anyone doing a fluid change.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hello All Looking to drop the Pan and switch out the fluid on my 2014 Ram 1500, Im almost at 60K miles and really dont want to spend $$$ having the dealer do a 60K service.

I know the Transmission Fluid says "Lifetime" but thats sounds suspicious . No fluid I know of in a vehicle is lifetime (in my opinion)

Ive purchased a OEM 8HP70 Pan Mopar 68233701AA

Its the fluid thats killing me Cant believe the Mopar 8-9 Fluid is 30+ dollars a quart

Ive come across a product called Rowe Hightec ATF 9008 which carries the part number for Chrysler \ Mopar 68157995AA & ZF S671 090 312 of which part number lists as Mopar 8 & 9 \ ZF Lifeguard 8 Transmission Fluid

Any of you guys tried this Rowe Hightec ATF 9008?

I'd stick with the Mopar fluid. You never get all the old fluid out with just a pan and filter swap,so i'd stay with the original tranny fluid as it's compatiable with the stuff still left in the tranny and convertor. PPE makes a replacement pan that has a removable filter. Check out Boosted's video at the bottom of this thread,he swapped to the PPE pan and filter on his 8 speed,and has a pretty indepth video showing the fill procedure.

http://www.ramforum.com/threads/8-speed-fluid-change.112712/

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Unless you've noticed a problem, the "lifetime" on the fluid in the 8 speed is generally held to be 100,000 miles. I wouldn't bother doing it yet if it was mine.

-K

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
I checked on a trans service for my moms 300 with my neighbour who does the driveline at the dodge dealer that he works for. He said the fluid is the expensive part and that the 8 speed are recommended at 100k good luck maintince is not the place to skimp on a few $$$ get what's recommended. I put Chrysler approved power steering fluid in my power steering once bad idea should of looked at the manual and realise it uses atf I'm lucky it didn't trash the pump.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I’m confused though. It’s lifetime oil that needs to be serviced ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I’m confused though. It’s lifetime oil that needs to be serviced ?

That's only what Chryco is telling you,ZF themselves recommend a 100,000 mile service on the 8 speed. Believe which ever one you want,lol. I'd hazard a guess that 99.99% of the Rams with an 8 speed,will never have a tranny service done and be perfectly fine,but for some of us with OCD about a proper maintence schedule,it's a little different,we'll change ours,lol.

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
That's only what Chryco is telling you,ZF themselves recommend a 100,000 mile service on the 8 speed. Believe which ever one you want,lol. I'd hazard a guess that 99.99% of the Rams with an 8 speed,will never have a tranny service done and be perfectly fine,but for some of us with OCD about a proper maintence schedule,it's a little different,we'll change ours,lol.

I’m with ya on the OCD. I am all over that lol. I will for sure do the service when time comes. If they’re sealed transmissions how do they service them ? And who does the service? Would the dealer really be equipped to do it ?

yortnodnarb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m with ya on the OCD. I am all over that lol. I will for sure do the service when time comes. If they’re sealed transmissions how do they service them ? And who does the service? Would the dealer really be equipped to do it ?

It's "sealed" in the sense that there's no dipstick to check fluid level. It's not a truly "sealed" unit that requires Jedi mind tricks to get old fluid out and new fluid in. It has a drain plug and a fill hole, it's just a pain in the ass process to verify that it is filled to the proper level. Not like the old days of putting it in neutral and checking the dipstick and filling it top side if needed.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

If you watch the video Boosted put up,it explains the procedure very well.It's on the bottom of the thread link I posted above.Well worth taking the few minutes out of the day to watch the video

Here's the link to Boosted's video on his tranny service.Well worth watching

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Awesome guys thanks! I plan on keeping it for a while so anything helps for longevity [emoji106]

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
If you are under an extended warranty and really want to change it you HAVE to use the ZF fluid. If you ever have an issue and they drain it and its red they will void you on the spot. If your out of warranty save your money and use Valvoline MAX ATF, its been used in ZF 8HP70's before and even meets the specs of the ZF stuff for a fraction of the price. People here have used it for 50+k miles before with no issues.

for the record ZF recommends changing the fluid at 65k-75k miles. I dont care what FCA says, ZF made this transmission im going by what they say. However, I am under an extended warranty so I wont change it until my warranty is up. When I do I am going with Valvoline MAX life ATF. Only problem is trying to get all the fluid exchanged as the majority of it is still in the TC. You have to replace whats in the pan, cycle the gears flush and repeat untill its all replaced. If you do this with the ZF fluid it will cost you a fortune. insted grab a few gallons of MAX Life ATF and flush away. This is my opinion..

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
My warranty will expire at 160,000 kilometres and I can probably do it then. I might call around and get quotes. The dealer near my work treats us pretty good as we are frequent customers. Might get a deal. If it’s not recommended by dealer do they even have the tools and knowledge to do it ?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My warranty will expire at 160,000 kilometres and I can probably do it then. I might call around and get quotes. The dealer near my work treats us pretty good as we are frequent customers. Might get a deal. If it’s not recommended by dealer do they even have the tools and knowledge to do it ?

Watch the video above,there's not much required for either tools or knowledge.It's easily done at home if you have a level place to park.

Incredible78

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've used the Valvoline Max life fluid. Go to there site and there is paperwork documenting they stand behind the fluid in the ZF8HP45 and 70 transmission. I can't prove it but I think for the Ram trucks Chrysler did sonwtsome to own the rights to the fluid. I believe it's a racket because even the transmission says Use only Mopar 8 and 9 speed fluid. According to the sticker on transmission not even ZF lifeguard fluid is acceptable. We all know it is but Mopar only wants the fluid they make $ on going in it. I'm not reccomending the use of anything besides the mopar fluid, I'm just saying its beyond obvious that other fluids will work, you just have to be smart enough to know which ones. Ravenol even sells a specific ZF8 speed fluid. Mopar doesn't want that In there either.

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I'd be interested in the quotes you get.
Jay

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I'd be interested in the quotes you get.
Jay

Me too LOL

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box

ramccie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have done half a dozen ZF fluid changes in my own cars (BMW and Ford with the ZF 6HP26). The tranny fluid and pan change is not that complicated especially if you can read the tranny temperature at the console in the RAM. The fluid I used with excellent results is the Ravenol ZF fluid. It is fully synthetic vs the ZF fluid being semi synthetic and in my BMW the fluid mixed fine and improved the shifting. I drain and fill every 30K miles.

Here's the one for the 8HP:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1D2113-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B00OX60ZOI?th=1

Addicted2fishing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I have done half a dozen ZF fluid changes in my own cars (BMW and Ford with the ZF 6HP26). The tranny fluid and pan change is not that complicated especially if you can read the tranny temperature at the console in the RAM. The fluid I used with excellent results is the Ravenol ZF fluid. It is fully synthetic vs the ZF fluid being semi synthetic and in my BMW the fluid mixed fine and improved the shifting. I drain and fill every 30K miles.

Here's the one for the 8HP:

https://www.amazon.com/RAVENOL-J1D2113-Automatic-Transmission-Fluid/dp/B00OX60ZOI?th=1

So what’s this about the fluid temp? It has to be the same going in !?? I’m not planning on doing my self but I don’t trust dealers.

Mods: EGR matte black bug deflector, Westin HDX drop steps, rough county bull bar with 20” LED, custom made NW seat covers in real tree camo, husky liner mats, husky liner mud guards, undercover LUX tonneau cover, Tailgate assist, flowmaster super 40 with resonators, tinted 15% front, LED C shaped tail lights. Line-X 5.7’ box