96 Tranny problems...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JASON KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 5.2 4x4
Engine
5.2 magnum
Ok guys I'm new here and bought my 1st Ram yesterday...
I bought it under the impression that it needed a transmission... Once I got it home I crawled under it just to have a look around and low and behold I find a trans cooler line melted by the exhaust so for ***** n giggles I replaced the line and filled the tranny back up with Atf+4 and it still wouldn't budge.... This morning again for ***** n giggles I decided to drop the pan and change the filter... so after replacing the filter and filling it back up with ATF+4 I put it in gear and low and behold it moves! I was ecstatic! BUT.... I took it for a test spin and it seemed to shift right most of the time but sometimes it would clank and jer then it would pick up and act fine again... Also when you let off the gas it's making a rattling noise which slows as speed decreases... any idea what this could be? Torque converter maybe? Transmission actually bad? Any help would be greatly appreciated....

leadrofthepak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When you dropped the pan, was there any foreign material around the magnet, any chunks in the pan? The 46re does not do well with a fluid blockage, which sounds like maybe what you had, and changing fluid/filter change may have cleared some of that up but now you are left with the residual damage. Chances are the bands need adjustment and the governor pressure solenoid/sensor need to be changed out. This may or may not fix your problem. If it does not than chances are greater that the internals of the 46re has suffered more wear from lack of fluid and will need a rebuild.

OP
OP
J

JASON KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 5.2 4x4
Engine
5.2 magnum
No chunks in the pan and I wouldn't say there was even alot of shavings around the magnet...

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
Change solenoid and take it to a shop like good year, Firestone, or Aamco trans and have it flushed. Mine did the jerking deal going down the rd a while back. I did a flush and new solenoid an filter and its going better.....but mines also got aftermarket internals too.

OP
OP
J

JASON KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 5.2 4x4
Engine
5.2 magnum
Well I have an update... been driving the truck around and all the bumping and clunking has stopped.. Also I think I have pinpointed the grinding noise to the front diff... The front driveshaft is out of the truck and I have a feeling the diff is bone dry... gonna park it till this weekend when I have time to check it out... I'm guessing it just needed to be driven some... now hopefully I haven't ruined the front end cause I'm pretty sure there's no oil in it...

OP
OP
J

JASON KCCO

Reaction score
Ram Year
1996 5.2 4x4
Engine
5.2 magnum
Ok guys as stated before I have a 96 ram 5.2 4x4... I found a transmission from a 97 5.9 4x4... are they the same? I've searched all over and keep getting conflicting data... I found several that say yes it'll work others say no... Some say early production 96's still had the rh and others say they all had the re.... I looked under my truck and I don't see an 8 prong connector anywhere which people say the 46re would have... I know this has been covered multiple times but does anyone have a side by side pic to compare the 2?