A/C compressor replacement help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tihmay

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 V8
Truck: 2002 Ram 1500 5.9 V8 Quadcab 4X4

Problem: A/C Compressor locked up on the side of the road and snapped belt

Temporary solution: Removed compressor and replaced with a bypass pulley on the side of the road just to get the truck running again.

Question: I am looking for the proper step to fix my A/C. I would like to do as all of the work my self then take it to a shop to have it vacuumed and charged.

Parts: I have purchased new A/C Compressor, o-ring kit, orifice tube, dryer, belt

What are the proper steps for replacing the parts to get it to work again?
Am I missing any important parts that need to be replaced?
I will take pictures and do a complete write up when I finish
All help will be greatly appreciated!

xb1230

Hobby Mechanic
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Here are a few notes from the Service manual for the '02 RAM 1500 :

Usually, unless you have the appropriate tools to recup the refrigerant gas, this job is more for the professionals. However, if your system is still sealed (compressor note removed from the lines), I would suggest (for the environment) that you find a garage who is able to empty the system for you and then you can perform the steps below and go back to your pro shop to have the system refilled with the appropriate amount of gas and also tested for leaks.

WARNING: REVIEW THE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS IN THE FRONT OF THIS SECTION BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - WARNING)
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - CAUTION)

The compressor may be removed and repositioned without disconnecting the refrigerant lines or dis-
charging the refrigerant system. Discharging is not necessary if servicing the compressor clutch or clutch coil, the engine, the cylinder head, or the generator.
(1) Recover the refrigerant from the refrigerant system.
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - STANDARD PROCEDURE -REFRIGERANT RECOVERY)
(2) Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.
(3) Remove the serpentine drive belt
(Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS - REMOVAL).
(4) Unplug the compressor clutch coil wire harness connector.
(5) Remove the suction and discharge refrigerant line manifold from the compressor.
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/SUCTION LINE - REMOVAL)
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/A/C DISCHARGE LINE - REMOVAL) Install plugs in, or tape over all of the opened refrigerant fittings.
(6) Remove the bolts that secure the compressor to the mounting bracket (Fig. 2).
(7) Remove the compressor from the mounting bracket.

INSTALLATION

WARNING: REVIEW THE WARNINGS AND CAUTIONS IN THE FRONT OF THIS SECTION BEFORE PERFORMING THE FOLLOWING OPERATION.
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - WARNING)
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - CAUTION)
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - CAUTION - REFRIGERANT HOSES/LINES/TUBES PRECAUTIONS)

The compressor may be removed and repositioned without disconnecting the refrigerant lines or discharging the refrigerant system. Discharging is not necessary if servicing the compressor clutch or clutch coil, the engine, the cylinder head, or the generator.
NOTE: If a replacement compressor is being installed, be certain to check the refrigerant oil level.
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/REFRIGERANT OIL - STANDARD PROCEDURE - REFRIGERANT OIL LEVEL)
Use only refrigerant oil of the type recommended for the compressor in the vehicle.
(Refer to 24 - HEATING &AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/REFRIGERANT OIL - DESCRIPTION)

(1) Install the compressor to the mounting bracket.
(2) On the 3.7L, 4.7L, 5.7L and 8.0L gasoline engines install and tighten the bolts in the following sequence (Fig. 4):
picture.php

• The number one bolt (rear) is hand tightened first then tightened to 55 N·m (41 ft. lbs.)
• The number three bolt is then hand tightened and torqued to 40 N·m ( 30 ft. lbs.)
• The number two bolt is also hand tightened and torqued to 55 N·m ( 41 ft. lbs.)(3) Remove the tape or plugs from all of the opened refrigerant line fittings. Install the suction and discharge line manifold to the compressor.
Tighten the fastener to 28 N·m (250 in. lbs.).
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/SUCTION LINE - INSTALLATION) (Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING/A/C DISCHARGE LINE - INSTALLATION)
(4) Install the serpentine drive belt
(Refer to 7 - COOLING/ACCESSORY DRIVE/DRIVE BELTS - INSTALLATION).
(5) Plug in the compressor clutch coil wire harness connector.
(6) Connect the battery negative cable.
(7) Evacuate the refrigerant system.
(Refer to 24 -HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - REFRIGERANT SYSTEM EVACUATE)
(8) Charge the refrigerant system.
(Refer to 24 - HEATING & AIR CONDITIONING/PLUMBING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - REFRIGERANT SYSTEM CHARGE)

Hope this helps.