A/C Issue Battle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so heres the deal, when Im driving down the street, no issues it blows cold air. But the problems comes when I stop at a light and then it seems like the cold air turns to hot air, and some times its unbearable. but as soon as I take off it gets cold again.

im thinking with my symptoms I could dial it down, im thinking possibly the compressor is going out?

TexasRammer

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like condenser fan. check to see if it spins. could be the fuse or maybe the motor is gone

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
whats/wheres the condenser fan? ill check my fuses.

HolyRamBatman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
All of the above are possible except your fuses. Unless vibration is making the connection.

My suggestion is a vacuum leak. What happens when in park hot/cold?
Does the air still have the same force whether hot or cold air?

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I beleive when its in park it also blow hot air. And yes it has the same force.

BigSloth

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 1500 CCSB Black Express
Engine
5.7 Hemi
no vacuum controlled doors on 3rd gens, all electric.

Sounds like the condenser fan is not working, as stated above. Look under the hood, you will notice there are what appears to be 2 radiators. the small one angled off to the drivers side with the black electric fan on it is the condenser, and aforementioned fan. turn AC o max, see if fan is moving air. If not, check fuse for it, then relay. If you have a multimeter, just cut to the chase and test for voltage at the fan connector.

If the fan is doing what its supposed to, holyram is on the right path, the compressor could be marginal on performance, and only builds pressure under higher RPMs.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I will check the condensor fan tommorow! thanks, pretty sure its what you said though:

"the compressor could be marginal on performance, and only builds pressure under higher RPMs. "

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The blend doors are notoriously troublesome on 3rd Gen Rams.
Don't spend too much effort elsewhere until you've looked into this.

moparman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I had almost the same issue with mine where the ac would blow decent while moving but once at a stop the temperature would get significantly warmer. Come to find out the recirculate door actually broke off inside the box. I ended up removing the door and its little inlet to the blower motor and blocking off the outside air inlet from the inside with a piece of abs plastic.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so my condenser fan is not spinning. It will spin freely so nothings blocking it.

Couldn't find any fuse that was related to the a/c or condenser itself. Any assistance on this would be great. its a 2006 ram 1500 5.7 sport

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't really just check the connection, I am going to have to find a contact point first.

OP
OP
sullivan

sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
i should have done this sooner, I taped on the condensor fan with a hammer, and its been working ever since.