A/C Question 2008 Ram 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Admode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi all, first time poster. I am not a mechanic but I do like to try repairs myself. I have a question that I will try to explain as best as I can:

I just replace the blower motor in my truck. The a/c works well but only when I'm accelerating. I've googled it and it said to try washing the condenser with a pressure washer. If that doesn't work it said that the coolant might be low. Washing didn't work so I got some coolant.

Here's my question: when I have the coolant can connected it shows it being over charged until something engages. I think what's engaging might be the a/c clutch but I'm not sure. When it engages the level goes from being in the red to green and before it bottoms out it disengages and the level goes back to red.

Is this enough information to suggest I might have a bigger problem going on? Thank you so much!

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Find directions for how air conditioning operates in automobiles. Read these directions or visit YouTube so you get an understanding of what should be happening. Finish charging the system. It still needs more gas.

3pedals

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So only cools while accelerating or only cools while in motion? Sounds pretty indicative of a failed condenser fan. Idea is while car is moving, air moves thru condenser and cools. But when stationary, there will be no air moving thru condenser without a functioning electric condenser fan.

OP
OP
A

Admode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So only cools while accelerating or only cools while in motion? Sounds pretty indicative of a failed condenser fan. Idea is while car is moving, air moves thru condenser and cools. But when stationary, there will be no air moving thru condenser without a functioning electric condenser fan.
Yes, exactly. When it's in motion it blows freezing cold air. If it's at idle it might as well be the heater. Thank you, I'll look into that.

OP
OP
A

Admode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Find directions for how air conditioning operates in automobiles. Read these directions or visit YouTube so you get an understanding of what should be happening. Finish charging the system. It still needs more gas.
I mean, that's what I'm doing, lol. I don't know how much to charge it since I can't get a consistent reading on the can.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
When the pressure is dropping the clutch is engaged,thus turning the compressor, which makes the pressure on the gauge drop some . Then the compressor cycles, as it should. It engages the clutch again drawing in more refrigerant. The compressor normally cycles off and on like this . Pretty sure it still is low on the charge. Does your radiator have a fan shroud ? While it cycles both inside and outside fans should remain running. As I wrote earlier find information on how it should work , ask friends who work on their own vehicles for assistance or find old guys in your neighborhood and pick their brains. Lots of times folks age out of being able to do the work themselves but do enjoy helping others, and they can get out of the house away from significant others for awhile.

OP
OP
A

Admode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
When the pressure is dropping the clutch is engaged,thus turning the compressor, which makes the pressure on the gauge drop some . Then the compressor cycles, as it should. It engages the clutch again drawing in more refrigerant. The compressor normally cycles off and on like this . Pretty sure it still is low on the charge. Does your radiator have a fan shroud ? While it cycles both inside and outside fans should remain running. As I wrote earlier find information on how it should work , ask friends who work on their own vehicles for assistance or find old guys in your neighborhood and pick their brains. Lots of times folks age out of being able to do the work themselves but do enjoy helping others, and they can get out of the house away from significant others for awhile.
That makes sense but the needle stays in the green when the compressor is engaged. It is dropping before the clutch disengages.

If I had someone I could ask I wouldn't be here. Is this not the place to ask questions like this? If so, I apologize.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That makes sense but the needle stays in the green when the compressor is engaged. It is dropping before the clutch disengages.

If I had someone I could ask I wouldn't be here. Is this not the place to ask questions like this? If so, I apologize.

The correct reading is while the clutch is engaged If your system was 100% out of refrigerant you might need to evacuate and re charge not just charge. However it does sound like you have a condenser and or clutch fan issue since its cold while your driving. You may be better off just taking it to any shop so they can hook it up to a set of real gaugeswont cost much at all its simple and easy or just find a harbor freight and get oyurself a set of gauges.

OP
OP
A

Admode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The correct reading is while the clutch is engaged If your system was 100% out of refrigerant you might need to evacuate and re charge not just charge. However it does sound like you have a condenser and or clutch fan issue since its cold while your driving. You may be better off just taking it to any shop so they can hook it up to a set of real gaugeswont cost much at all its simple and easy or just find a harbor freight and get oyurself a set of gauges.
Ok, thank you.

OP
OP
A

Admode

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ok, it just clicked for me. When the needle drops to the green that's the reading. So it's half full. Ugh, thank you so much for your help and allowing me to get through it, lol.

seems fishy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just read your post.In order to recharge your system,you need to remove the moisture from the system as you are replacing your freon.You cannot do that DIY,because you must pull a vacuum on the system.Your can of replacement freon cannot do that.A proffessional shop is really the only way to recharge properly.BTW ,if you overcharge the system you can blow the reeds in the compressor.If it is undercharged it will blow warm air.If overcharged it will blow warm air and put extra strain on your system.I did HVAC ,have my CFC ticket.If you had a proper way to capture the old freon,clean it and pull a vacuum on the system,and recharge the system using a proper charging manifold,with a good recycling and ability to measure correct pounds of freon,tour system uses,it would be safer and your results better.I always recommend staying away from those do it yourself cans of dreon.