ABS and Traction control dash lights on 2017 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ham944

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
For the past 6 months the ABS and Traction control lights would randomly come on and go off. When that happens the cruise kicks off and the 4wd system is disabled, and a message comes up saying the abs system needs to be serviced. I drove for many years without these two systems, and from what I could find online was everything will function except abs/tc, when these are off. Usually the lights go off by themselves and the cruise works again. It has become more frequent and may last longer. After searching forums and picking up small tidbits of information, I figured I was in for a big expense if I took it to most dealers where all they do is replace parts.
One tidbit of information said something about if there was a 1.5 volt difference between wheel sensors it would cause this. To my thinking, 1.5 volt delta is small enough that any kind of connector corrosion could cause that much. I had a 400 mile round trip today where the lights came on and the cruise got kicked off in the first 10 miles and stayed off till I reached my destination. Before returning I wanted to try out my theory. I crawled under the rear and disconnected and reconnected the rear wheel sensors. Tried to unplug the abs module but had trouble with the big connector. I moved it around enough that the inner terminals had to move. I also disconnected the positive battery cable to reboot anything. To my grateful surprise the lights did not come on all the way home. If this works I wonder how many components have been replaced, when the problem could have been fixed with just checking connections. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Nick_rp

I=V/R
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 1500
Engine
5.7 Sport
Ive found that cleaning the tips of the ABS sensors usually fixes most issues. The sensor is a magnet and will collect any ferrous materials and send bad info back to the ECM. Its the cheapest and easiest way to fix most ABS issues

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My brake pedal switch caused those exact issue in mine.

OP
OP
H

Ham944

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7l
The problem popped back up after a couple weeks of no problems. I finally got the large connector to ABS module off and then reconnected it. Since then I have not had the dash lights flash on or had the cruise control kick off

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustinRam1500