ABS problems. What do I do?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jjar35

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L v8 Magnum
Hey guys first post here,

I live in Minnesota, where obviously it snows and gets very icy in the winter. I just purchased a 2002 Ram 1500 4x4 SLT sport with 82.5k miles. Im having ABS problems (or at least I think), whenever I hit the on a slippery surface the tires lock up. This happens when in 2-wheel and 4-wheel drive. On the dash panel there is an ABS light, however it is not lit. My dad took a look through the manual and came to the conclusion that I may not actually have ABS brakes. I know there was a recall on the ABS brakes on the 2002 ram 1500's, there was some problems with short circuiting in the ABS module.

So my question is where can I look on the vehicle to find out if I do actually have ABS brakes or not? I'm rather young and this was my first vehicle purchase so I don't have too much of an idea of what to do. If I don't have them, is it possible to get them installed? How much would that cost? and lastly where would I go to get it done?

MagSport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
First off if it is a 2002 1500 you should be in the third gen section if it is an 02 2500 then you should be in this section. Assuming your body style looks like this ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419790118.802602.jpg the abs computer should be directly below the cupholders on the floor. Check your fuse panel. I believe there is a slot for it under the hood, otherwise you will need a special code reader to read the abs codes from the obd2 port and begin diagnostics from that.

Edit: this is the location for the abs computer, remove the two screws and the panel comes off. I'm assuming if you do not have this computer you don't have abs brakes but that's my opinion. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1419790679.630436.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: