What Kind of Radio Do I Have?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RM2016RamBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hi,
Newbie here. I have a 2016 Bighorn 1500 and I was curious as to what kind of radio I have. Short story is that I was out with my boat after dark. It was hard to align with boat trailer. I have no back up cam and reverse lights are too dim. I want to change this. I understand that there are different stock model radios for these trucks and I wanted to see what kind I have (pic). Also, does any one have any ideas for a higher powered light that would replace the cargo light?

Attachments

• Ram Bighorn Radio.jpeg
    Ram Bighorn Radio.jpeg
    150.9 KB · Views: 17

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
You
Hi,
Newbie here. I have a 2016 Bighorn 1500 and I was curious as to what kind of radio I have. Short story is that I was out with my boat after dark. It was hard to align with boat trailer. I have no back up cam and reverse lights are too dim. I want to change this. I understand that there are different stock model radios for these trucks and I wanted to see what kind I have (pic). Also, does any one have any ideas for a higher powered light that would replace the cargo light?
You have an RA2 radio. The next step up OEM wise is a VP3/RA3 (non- Navigation) or a VP4/RA4 (Navigation). If you want to add apple carplay or Android Auto the next step up is a UAS (non-Nav) or a UAQ (nav).

I use these in cargo and reverse lights, much brighter than stock (especially in the cargo lights)...

Yorkim 912 921 LED Backup Light... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01L3M9ORS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
@SitKneelBend, thanks. Do the cargo lights illuminate beyond the bed? And does my radio have back up cam capability?
If the gate is down yes but the height of the gate and the brightness of the lights can kinda cause "blindness" in the hitch area. I have two LED pods mounted to the tow hitch assembly under the bed to make up for this. I wired them directly to the tow hitch reverse wire for power.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As was stated, the RA2 radio works with a REAR Camera
There are 2 ways to view the Monitor.
The first way is to buy a special rear view mirror, that has a built in monitor.
The 2nd way, actually uses your current radio screen.

This guy was one of the first people to make videos about our Rams, that i watched years ago.
He talks a bit fast, but he gets his point across

Good Luck

OP
OP
R

RM2016RamBighorn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Quick question for those who use their back up cam: Can you see your trailer hitch with the camera? This won't make or break whether I go this route. Just curious.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On OEM YES. It also has a zoom where U see part of bumper and back area when backing. (ZOOM only for closeup when U get real close to trailer, or whatever U backing towards). On an older RA2 setup, unknown as I have a Non Nav U Connect 4 with 8.4 Screen with Apple Car Play and such capability.

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I changed cargo lights and reverse to LEDs and it's literally night and day. I didn't go factory camera yet for my UAQ radio,but I have a wireless camera which works great.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
If you watched that video that i posted.
It shows everything that you need to know & informs you that you need to have it programmed by the dealership, it can also be programmed using a
ALFAobd or similar tool

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Quick question for those who use their back up cam: Can you see your trailer hitch with the camera? This won't make or break whether I go this route. Just curious.
Yes, very clearly. You can essentially see the most of the rear tailgate, the whole rear bumper and hitch.

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Hi,
This might be a good option for you. I have a similar setup except mine are under the bed...

Limited-time deal: Nilight 2 Pcs 4 Inch 60W Led Pods with 2 Inch Tow Hitch Mounting Brackets Backup Reverse Lights Rear Light Bar for Pickup ATV SUV Truck Trailer Boat https://a.co/d/35RnnxE