ABS pulse’s excessively

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

m2102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
Ihave a 2017 ram 1500 5.7 hemi and after replacing all four brake pads on all wheels, the ABS when applying the brakes , feel like they engage “ excessively”. Could feel the ABS when applying brakes but don’t recall them being this “hard” . Is this normal after brake replacement? Will they “ settle down”?

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
Does it only do it when stopping at slow speeds?

OP
OP
M

m2102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
It’s slightly noticeable at slow speed. More noticeable at faster speed and coming to a fast slow own and stop. I’m currently in California on vaca and the speed limits here are way faster than home in illinois. Really shows stopping at 50 mph to a stop.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
How hard are you braking as to cause the ABS to engage? Even then unless the road surface is slick or having to do some hard evasive braking/steering the ABS probably shouldn't be activating. Unless those 50 mph to 0 stops your trying to stop in 50' I'm going to say there's something wrong with the brakes.

OP
OP
M

m2102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
As I’ve learned driving out here speed limits are pretty much ignored. And it does become necessary to stop quickly at posted speeds of 45-50 mph. When I slow down my normal way I don’t notice the pulse just slightl.

OP
OP
M

m2102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
Maybe I should add that the ABS light does not come on at anytime other than start up.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Maybe I should add that the ABS light does not come on at anytime other than start up.

Did you just do a pad ram on it,as it sounds more like it has a warped rotor.If all you did was ram new pads at it,you might want to at least check the rotors for run out. These days with the quality of rotors,it's a good idea to replace them at the same time you replace the pads.Finding shops that'll still turn a rotor is virtually impossible,so you're best bet is to replace the rotors,even if they look good

alpinegreenneon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you by any chance remove any sensors during the pad replacement? If so, it's possible you didn't put a sensor back correctly. There shouldn't be any misalignment and the torque needs to be correct. One of my Neons had abs and if the sensor wasn't perfect, it would prematurely engage the pulsing.

OP
OP
M

m2102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
No connections were removed replacing the pads. I was very careful on securing the brake assembly not to cause stress on them. A warped rotor did cross my mind.

62Blazer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So to clarify, you are regularly doing hard enough brake stops to engage the ABS? On a dry paved road you basically have to do a full on panic stop "slam the brakes as hard as possible" to actually feel the ABS engage. Even on wet pavement you usually have to do a fairly hard stop to get ABS to engage. If you are just getting a mild pulsation that almost sounds more like warped rotors???

OP
OP
M

m2102

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 5.7 Hemi
That’s my thinking also. Not doing panic stops but sometimes I do brake a little harder than I usually do.

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So to clarify, you are regularly doing hard enough brake stops to engage the ABS? On a dry paved road you basically have to do a full on panic stop "slam the brakes as hard as possible" to actually feel the ABS engage. Even on wet pavement you usually have to do a fairly hard stop to get ABS to engage. If you are just getting a mild pulsation that almost sounds more like warped rotors???

Panic stops included, I don't know that I have ever had ABS engage on pavement unless it was icy. Not even rain. This sounds like a rotor or bad sensor.