ac orifice tube

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

19Slick69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500HD
Engine
5.9l gas
So if the orifice filter itself is compromised, when replacing with new tube you could pinch the tube closer to the condenser location so next replacement of orifice doesn't include buying the whole assembly over again?

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So if the orifice filter itself is compromised, when replacing with new tube you could pinch the tube closer to the condenser location so next replacement of orifice doesn't include buying the whole assembly over again?
Could you reword that? This question is a bit confusing. The orifice tube and the filter/dryer are two different parts. What do you mean by “pinch the tube closer to the condenser”??? What whole assembly are you talking about buying over again???

Normally a failed orifice tube only requires replacement of that one part, and then it is highly suggested to replace the accumulator (equivalent to a filter/dryer) at the same time.

OP
OP
19Slick69

19Slick69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500HD
Engine
5.9l gas
Sorry about the wording. So...on a 2002 2500 where exactly is the orifice tube located? So many threads have the entire low pressure line being replaced because the orifice is located inside that line, somewhere close to the accumulator. Rock Auto only shows the orifice when I attempt to order it. So where exactly is this located, for a 2002 2500 gasser 5spd?

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
Im only familiar with the 4th gens, but i am somewhat familiar with AC systems. The orfice tube should not be in the low pressure line. You can google a AC circuit diagram to see how it works but the refrigerant as a high pressure liquid has to hit the orfice tube, then flow through your evap, in which the refrigerant changes states from a liquid to a vapor (evaporates) then goes into the low pressure line. Your orfice tube should be between your condenser and evap coil, most likely closer to the evap coil. The best example i can come up with is think about a water hose. You have a 5/8" water with a solid column of water slamming into the sprayer (orfice tube) the holes in the sprayer are much smaller than the 5/8 hose. The water sprays. The refrigerant does the same thing but gets sprayed into your evap coil with air flow causing it to evaporate or turn into a vapor. The change in state with airflow makes coldness.

OP
OP
19Slick69

19Slick69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500HD
Engine
5.9l gas
Got it, thanks for the explanation. Now I just need to find its exact location. They seem to be in different locations from model year to model year and level- 1500 or 2500

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Got it, thanks for the explanation. Now I just need to find its exact location. They seem to be in different locations from model year to model year and level- 1500 or 2500

This is on a 2001 1500. The tube it is inside of is wrapped with insulation. You may be able to remove it with a very small set of needle nose or hemostats, but if you break it off in there (easy to do) then it becomes more of a pain. They make tool kits specifically for removing and installing them. Usually run about $30 for a universal kit. Worth the money.

If yours doesn’t look like this, then let me know. I can probably help you figure out where it is.

Attachments

• 7154CFAA-2C6F-4C75-B332-A1DC39844A46.jpeg
    7154CFAA-2C6F-4C75-B332-A1DC39844A46.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
OP
OP
19Slick69

19Slick69

Reaction score
Ram Year
2002 2500HD
Engine
5.9l gas
Thanks for the help. Mine does look like yours, however no insulation or foil wrap. That line on mine has connections just after evaporator (A) and right before the firewall (B). The part of the line I'm pointing (C) to is where it seems to become slighter larger in diameter, but that location is a sealed connection...no disassembly possible. The only place it looks like an orifice tube could be located is the connection at the evaporator (A). I don't know, who knows where and why Dodge does this stuff. Why can't it be just a simple bolt on bolt off for something that is a maintenance issue!!A.JPGB.JPGC.JPG

Scottly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HO 6.7 Cummins
...The refrigerant does the same thing but gets sprayed into your evap coil with air flow causing it to evaporate or turn into a vapor. The change in state with airflow makes coldness.
Huh?? There better not be air in your system or you have bigger issues. May I reword that? ....... The orfice tube restricts how much refrigerant can flow into the evaporator. Through the use of small orfices(hence the name), the liquid refrigerant from the high pressure side is misted into your evap coil, allowing the more efficient exchange of heat with the surface of the evap coil tubes. it is then sucked out of the evaporator by the compressor, where the mist is then compressed (hence the name). The compression of this mist creates friction among the molecules, which creates heat....The compressed mixture, is pumped through the condenser to remove that heat and "condense" it (hence the name). Make sense OP?

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Huh?? There better not be air in your system or you have bigger issues. May I reword that? ....... The orfice tube restricts how much refrigerant can flow into the evaporator. Through the use of small orfices(hence the name), the liquid refrigerant from the high pressure side is misted into your evap coil, allowing the more efficient exchange of heat with the surface of the evap coil tubes. it is then sucked out of the evaporator by the compressor, where the mist is then compressed (hence the name). The compression of this mist creates friction among the molecules, which creates heat....The compressed mixture, is pumped through the condenser to remove that heat and "condense" it (hence the name). Make sense OP?
I think he was talking about the air flow through the fins of the evap being moved by the blower fan.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help. Mine does look like yours, however no insulation or foil wrap. That line on mine has connections just after evaporator (A) and right before the firewall (B). The part of the line I'm pointing (C) to is where it seems to become slighter larger in diameter, but that location is a sealed connection...no disassembly possible. The only place it looks like an orifice tube could be located is the connection at the evaporator (A). I don't know, who knows where and why Dodge does this stuff. Why can't it be just a simple bolt on bolt off for something that is a maintenance issue!!View attachment 497438View attachment 497439View attachment 497440
I normally work on heavy duty trucks. In fact I just replaced an orifice tube on one about 20 minutes ago. It was inside the tube that goes into the evap core. So only about 8 inches before the evap.

That said, I haven’t ever replaced one on my Dodge. I just ran my A/C and felt the high pressure line for the spot where it turned cold, and it was at the spot in the picture. So I suppose there is a chance it could be an integral part of that line, but that isn’t common to the systems I have worked on. If your system is currently cooling at all, the fastest way to verify where the orifice is at is to feel the line for the spot where it shifts from hot to cold.

Ryan J

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Laramie limited
Engine
5.7 hemi
I didnt say i had air in my system. I was talking about airflow acrossed your coil. With out airflow, the refrigerant doesnt (evaporate). And the compressor does not compress mist. After the evap, your refrigerant should be 100% vapor.

Spike95

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the help. Mine does look like yours, however no insulation or foil wrap. That line on mine has connections just after evaporator (A) and right before the firewall (B). The part of the line I'm pointing (C) to is where it seems to become slighter larger in diameter, but that location is a sealed connection...no disassembly possible. The only place it looks like an orifice tube could be located is the connection at the evaporator (A). I don't know, who knows where and why Dodge does this stuff. Why can't it be just a simple bolt on bolt off for something that is a maintenance issue!!View attachment 497438View attachment 497439View attachment 497440
I found this part available on rock auto. Part number HA10092C. It includes the orifice tube built in. It’s not expensive.