Accidentally remote started truck with no oil- am I okay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

airrecon

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.4
While performing an oil change (just after emptying old oil) I was getting under the truck to take off the filter. In my pocket I must have accidentally triggered the remote start. I frantically jumped in and turned her off. Considering the oil filter was not removed and it only ran for 2-3 seconds do you think I am okay?

I finished the oil change and she's running/sounding fine, I am just worried I may have caused some damage. I understand only time will tell but hoping to get some opinions/experiences that will ease my mind :confused: Besides different noises/smoke is there anything else I should be on the lookout for to identify any possible issues?

'17 Ram 1500 V8 5.7l Hemi

Thank you in advance!!!!!
It could probably have run for some minutes with no harm to the engine. All parts still had oil on them. Sleep well tonight

Whiskey13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don't think in just a couple of seconds you have anything to worry about, I have had issues when working on vehicles having them start with keys in my pocket. Learned to never put my keys in pockets while bent over engine or under the vehicle for safety sake. between starting and the panic button it's just not worth it.

Frontbutz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It seems there maybe something wrong with the safety switches on your truck. When you remote start, it locks the doors, checks for hood closure, then starts (unless different years or aftermarket they don't). If you remote started from under the truck, you would have to get up, fumble for the keyfob and unlock the door, then turn it off. If you're door wasn't locked after the remote start, maybe something is wrong with the system. Or, you can just double click the remote start button again to disable and shutdown the engine. My 2015 won't start with the hood open, and when you do try, it says hood open. I think you can set the time to auto shutdown in the vehicle settings also. I don't think there's an option to disable the countdown time to shutdown incase it starts in a garage on accident. If it ran indefinitely unawares, it could possibly give you C0 poisoning in the adjoining structure.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
The hood was likely still closed, and doors shut, than it would start from the fob.
Mine will run for about 15 min, I think, than shut down when worm .
I have touch handles, or what ever you call them, so just touch the door and it unlocks, but nothing to do with auto start, thou the doors lock when remote start.

caulk04

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It seems there maybe something wrong with the safety switches on your truck. When you remote start, it locks the doors, checks for hood closure, then starts (unless different years or aftermarket they don't). If you remote started from under the truck, you would have to get up, fumble for the keyfob and unlock the door, then turn it off. If you're door wasn't locked after the remote start, maybe something is wrong with the system. Or, you can just double click the remote start button again to disable and shutdown the engine. My 2015 won't start with the hood open, and when you do try, it says hood open. I think you can set the time to auto shutdown in the vehicle settings also. I don't think there's an option to disable the countdown time to shutdown incase it starts in a garage on accident. If it ran indefinitely unawares, it could possibly give you C0 poisoning in the adjoining structure.

The PCM will also abort a remote start if certain CEL codes are present, fuel level is low, oil pressure is low (obviously it waits a moment for it to rise) and so on. There's a whole mess of requirements for it to remote start.