after this incedint im upgrading a few my steering components

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
ok so my truck recently has severe "death wobble" and caused me to runn off the rd so im ugrading my gearbox,tierods,track arm, and fresh alignment any suggestions on what gear box i should get i know im putting a 1 ton gear box on it (big tires) to help ease steering but any suggestions on brands????

advise!!!!!
when you feel a lil wobble get it checked out dont wait like i did lol it caused me to hit an inbankment. im just glad no serious damage was done :birgits_tiredcoffee

untitled-2.png

OP
OP
jbmobbs

jbmobbs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 360
i was perfectly fine lol truck is too it was just a muddy one XD but still gonna upgrade lol

iSlacker816

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 (360ci) Magnum
Damn man that's crazy, I just replaced my gearbox! Oh wait the one I bought was a defective reman, so I get to do it all over again...

nussdawg395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Damn dude that's nuts! Glad your alright!

Gmack2012

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I had the death wobbles start on my truck 2 weeks after I bought it and it scared the s*** out of me. It happened every time I hit a bump or hit mu breaks but luckily I always slowed down enough before I ever hit anything. I finaly had to take it in and I spent 1600 replacing tie rod ends, all 4 ball joints, and the passenger side spindle assembly. Cured all the death wobble. Hope u get it fixed soon man. Good luck.

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I'd recommend Redhead for a new gearbox.
I HIGHLY reccomend up grading to the 1 ton crossover style steering. Made a huge difference in my truck.

FYI...the only difference between a 1 ton box and yours is that the 1500 has variable ratio steering. Even the pitman arms interchange. All redhead boxes are quick ratio and they add ball bearings to your output shaft which makes it last longer.

Its a damm shame you nearly wrecked your truck and yourself to learn a lesson. But I'm glad both you and your ride survived.

schroederMP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Damn that no good man...glad your alright. ^^^as said above, adj track bar would be good.

My trucks getting dropped off in the morning, the dealer is gonna upgrade mine on their dime.

smiley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 2500 Crew
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Didn't Dave comment on something up with front end of your truck in a picture awhile back?

Or am I am thinking of another truck?

Good to here you did not die and are fixing it.

Badger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Didn't Dave comment on something up with front end of your truck in a picture awhile back?

Or am I am thinking of another truck?

Good to here you did not die and are fixing it.

Wasn't just Dave.. it was a bunch of us. He had the truck aligned from my understandings

rambob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 5.2l
it all starts with worn parts.

check the trackbar mounts for looseness and wallowed holes

I had it bad in my jeep. replaced the tierod, both ends, and pitman arm. cured it right up.
it was about $300 in parts.

V-10 RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-10
I guess I'm stupid but what is a DEATH WOBBLE & what causes this condition. I'm 61 years old I have owned I can't count how many vehicles trucks & cars I have owned over the last 45 years & I have never had an issue as I read about here & other forums. It appears to be tied to Lift Kits, which I never understood in the first place for the street & part time off roading. I have had stock suspension 4x4s in places that guys with lift kits couldn't go because their center of gravity was too high & they would of rolled them. If a person was building a pure rock crawler or mud rig I understand lifts, but with lifts on these type of rigs also comes a complete suspension change.
Can someone explain this Death wobble thing & what lifts do when 90% of the time their on pavement???

Okiespaniel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
magnum, 5.9
I guess I'm stupid but what is a DEATH WOBBLE & what causes this condition. I'm 61 years old I have owned I can't count how many vehicles trucks & cars I have owned over the last 45 years & I have never had an issue as I read about here & other forums. It appears to be tied to Lift Kits, which I never understood in the first place for the street & part time off roading. I have had stock suspension 4x4s in places that guys with lift kits couldn't go because their center of gravity was too high & they would of rolled them. If a person was building a pure rock crawler or mud rig I understand lifts, but with lifts on these type of rigs also comes a complete suspension change.
Can someone explain this Death wobble thing & what lifts do when 90% of the time their on pavement???

Well...count yourself one lucky old man. I've seen many a stock 2nd gen truck with death wobble issues, usually tied to a trackbar that was never greased.

Yes..improperly installed or cobbled lifts, large tires, offset rims, etc. exacerbate the problem.

But I'd disagree that a properly designed and installed lift detracts from a vehicles off capabilities. Offroading is a pretty vaque term when used in the context of the different types of terrain in this country, and while I don't doubt your trucks capabilities because I've driven off road without a lift, my truck is so much more capable now the small lift it has.

Oh, and the only death woblle I've experienced is from failing tires...my modded factory T-bar has been on my truck for over 7 years and a good 100 k to boot!

Muddytazz

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 2500HD 4x4
Engine
Hemi baby
Stock track bar with over 200k and not a lick of steering issues.

quietpeen

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 TRX
Engine
Hellcat
i bet that scared the **** out of you

KGBIGCOUNTRY

Reaction score
Ram Year
2004 RCSB/2005 QCSB
Engine
5.7 / 5.7
Man your lucky nothing got tore up or hit another car

ADDCJ

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
cummins
I don't know how many customers I have had over the years that thought I was making up the term death wobble, it can be very dangerous for everyone on the road. PLEASE GUYS whatever you do, do not put a steering stabilizer [band aid] on as a fix, the problem is still present.

Stangshcky12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Trucks can have death wobble without any suspension modifications.
It's often mislabeled as the vibrations in the front end of new rams but although similar that is not true death wobble