Aftermarket LED tail lights Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cennedy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So I recently purchased a set of Morimoto LED tail lights for my 2017 Ram 1500 Sport. Upon install and use I started to get a Park Light Bulb message in my dash, as well as a Back Up Light message. I did some research and the company did not inform me upon purchase that these are a US spec vehicle only light. They look really good and are unlike any other aftermarket tail lights I’ve seen for the Ram, so I’d really like to keep them but with these issues...
Any way I can cheat the can bus for tail lights? Also not sure what the difference is between US spec and Non US spec? Enlighten me please.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Maybe try resistors (I had to put some on my old 14 Epress when I switched the bulbs to LED and they worked fine)? Or you should be able to use AlfaOBD and change a few settings to get rid of the errors. But its a little more costly. I have also seen people wire in a pigtail with the standard 1157(?) socket and bulb and tuck it away behind the housing. This keeps the computer happy and you still have your new tails.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
when you start cutting into factory wire harness to add all these resistors you can void the electrical on your factory warranty just to let you know it happened to a friend in PA even if he goes to another dealer they will not work on anything electrical on his vehicle aint that a kick in the tail

OP
OP
C

Cennedy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
My truck has factory LED tail lights so I didn’t figure it’d be a problem. I’ve been reading online to try and figure this out, it seems the Morimoto lights don’t support CanBus, and that is the problem. I really wish that My truck didn’t have anything built in to tell me if a light is burnt out, not something I really need personally and now it’s a problem.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well that's what happens when you go none OEM you get problems aftermarket parts are not made that good the cheapest way so they make more money and down the road they fail and your back to buying again

Dbow20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck has factory LED tail lights so I didn’t figure it’d be a problem. I’ve been reading online to try and figure this out, it seems the Morimoto lights don’t support CanBus, and that is the problem. I really wish that My truck didn’t have anything built in to tell me if a light is burnt out, not something I really need personally and now it’s a problem.

did you ever find a solution to get the lights working?

HTXRamExp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's my understanding that the Morimoto XBs and many other aftermarket LED taillights do not work w/ trucks that came with factory LED taillights. My truck came with factory halogen lights and I've had no issues with the Morimoto XBs. I believe RECON sells LED taillights specifically for trucks that came with factory LED taillights, but I'm not sure who else.