Air Bags

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MFSNanaimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I pull a 26' travel trailer and also a 24' boat. I use an equalizer hitch for the trailer, but just the trailer ball for the boat. The 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie I have sits down a bit more than what I would like. Has anyone had luck with the airbags that install inside the coils? I have seen 1000# and 2000# ratings. Any opinions on these?

HuskerRam

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
The Airlift 1000 and 1000HD do a good job with the squat from towing. Really easy to install and they work well...price isn't bad either. I had them on my previous 2 Rams and was happy with their performance.

6.7CumminsDrvr

The Dude abides………
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just make sure you air them up before you hook up the trailer. Those type bags are designed to expand out and by friction keep the coil spring from compressing. They won’t “lift” the truck up after the fact like bags attached to axle/frame.

redvetram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar V6 3.7
I tow a two horse trailer and had Airlift 5000 bags installed. Made a huge difference in how smooth the truck rode when towing as well as eliminated me from blinding oncoming cars from my front end being tilted up. I put about 35-40 pounds in them when towing, but deflate to about 5psi when not towing, otherwise it’s a rough ride.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
Just make sure you air them up before you hook up the trailer. Those type bags are designed to expand out and by friction keep the coil spring from compressing. They won’t “lift” the truck up after the fact like bags attached to axle/frame.

Good point to make - didn't even think of that.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
The inside coil bags are definitely a cheaper and less capable product than the 5000 types. Not saying they don't work but they just aren't nearly as robust or strong. I run the 5000s on my HD and love them. If it were me I'd spend the money and get the good ones.

engineering

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 3.6L
The inside coil bags are definitely a cheaper and less capable product than the 5000 types. Not saying they don't work but they just aren't nearly as robust or strong. I run the 5000s on my HD and love them. If it were me I'd spend the money and get the good ones.

I have the 1000HD's on my 1500 for pulling a 24' travel trailer - they are enough for that application. Seems like the OP is in a similar situation with a fairly light travel trailer and boat - just needs a little help.

OP
OP
MFSNanaimo

MFSNanaimo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I am not familiar with the 5000's. Are they for coils?

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I am not familiar with the 5000's. Are they for coils?

Yes, but they don't go inside.... depending on the truck they sit nearby and go directly onto the frame. The installation is usually more involved since they need to mount to the frame rather than just being contained inside the coils.