Air suspension vs. no- major difference on 2021 1500?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
4th gen owner in Canada. I can see why you would have a low opinion of air suspension. The system on 4th gens definitely had its problems, espeically in colder climates. The system in 5th gens was redesigned and hasn't had nearly the same number of problems. Our 2020 Limited has it and it's been working flawlessly. It's nice to have the ability to raise and lower the truck at the press of a switch, especially for things like oil changes and other maintenance, and for some of my shorter passengers to get in and out of the truck easier. And it's nice for towing.

Having said that, I don't think there's much of a difference in ride comfort between the two suspension systems. So if your only reason for considering it is comfort you might as well save your money. I would also say that all air suspension systems will eventually fail long after the warranty expires. So if you're planning to keep it long term you might want to avoid it.

Does air ride preventing 1500 squatting when fully loaded? My 2012 Ram 1500 was too soft, squatted down to the jounce bumpers. The solution was not to add more springs, I don't think, because I questioned whether their frame was robust enough.

So I got a 2500, which had switched to 5 link coil rear suspension. No squatting, better ride than leaf spring 2500. But more expensive too, just like adding air bags to a 1500.

MSandRebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does air ride preventing 1500 squatting when fully loaded? My 2012 Ram 1500 was too soft, squatted down to the jounce bumpers. The solution was not to add more springs, I don't think, because I questioned whether their frame was robust enough.

So I got a 2500, which had switched to 5 link coil rear suspension. No squatting, better ride than leaf spring 2500. But more expensive too, just like adding air bags to a 1500.
Bit loaded that day, all fresh cut trees, don’t know the weight, but it was heavy. Not squatting
IMG_2780.jpeg

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I don’t think it changes the ride enough to buy it as stand alone option. Had it not been standard on limited, I probably would not have gotten it. But getting the limited for the interior I would do again and pay for the air suspension if I have to. The height adjustment I use more than I thought I would but still not enough to pay for stand alone. Auto leveling is perhaps a nice safety feature. When towing close to max weight, my ‘17 had a lot of squat. ‘22 is dead level with air.

cdn cj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
"Delete it"? Really? Why would you buy a truck with a $1700 (IIRC) option, then spend another $*** to delete it? If you don't want it, buy a truck without it!
We bought it with the expectation it would work as advertised and do the job expected of it.
My compressor was replaced once under warranty and once on my dime to the tune of $2400.
Finally it was diagnosed with 2 leaking rear bags so I figured it was time to repair it for good.
Therefore replacing with conventional suspension.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

@MSandRebel already answered your question, but to confirm, when I towed a boat with the 2017 Rebel I used to own the air suspension prevented the truck from squatting at all. Not sure how it would do if the load is near the payload limit, but I suspect it would do just fine.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@MSandRebel already answered your question, but to confirm, when I towed a boat with the 2017 Rebel I used to own the air suspension prevented the truck from squatting at all. Not sure how it would do if the load is near the payload limit, but I suspect it would do just fine.

I guess the price was a wash with 2500 so I did 2500 instead of another 1500 with bags.

jimboschnitz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I disagree with Dilligaf. I had a 2016 Lonestar with standard suspension and my 2020 Limited
came standard with the air suspension. The ride is completely different and when towing my
boat I can really tell the difference. I have 60,000 miles on my Limited and am entering my
4th winter in Texas with no problems. So the comment will be that I have mild winters in Texas
and that's why I have not experienced any issues. I've spent days in cold weather, Wisconsini, Colorado, Wyoming etc and have had no problems. Hard to believe, but we do get multiple days
below freezing here in North Texas including the 2021/2022 winter where we had temps in
the single digits for multiple days. No problems with the air suspension but I wish I had foresight
to put some Anti-Gel solution in my fuel tank. Not going to happen again.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My '19 Limited has 84k on it and has had no issues with the Air Suspension. It lives outside as wifey gets the garage and it has handled our mild South Dakota winters just fine. as for ride, my previous non air suspension Ram and this were too close to call unloaded. But when towing, the Air Suspension shines.

my $0.02 (and its worth every penny)

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I have no experience with air ride, other then when it came out, at real cold the service tec working on a new 2015 said the made for Florida

These days I could use it as the wife is having trouble getting out of the truck, getting in is Ok

DanAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I thought the Gen 5 air ride suspension was a different system than the Gen 4 air ride suspension? Seems like everyone with negative experiences had/has a Gen 4 truck. Am I wrong?

Fuelie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I live in Minnesota and love my air suspension. It's also nice for doing oil changes, put it in OR2, slide under and drain oil and change fuel filter. Put it in entry/exit mode to change oil filter and fill with oil.
I travel for work in the north woods and UP, no problems at all at low temps.
Tom

Stavinksi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have done that too, please use jack stands even though it’s on the ground. My sister was sitting at a Burger King in a Mercedes with air suspension and one burst and the car instantly squatted down in the rear

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I thought the Gen 5 air ride suspension was a different system than the Gen 4 air ride suspension? Seems like everyone with negative experiences had/has a Gen 4 truck. Am I wrong?
Well, I had both Gen 4 (2015) and Gen 5 (2020) 4CAS and no issues with either.

To my inexperienced eye there is no visible difference, except that the sensors are mounted differently. Also, the 5th Gen versions allow you to go into Aero Mode and stay there regardless of speed.

TestPilot57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
As to other benefits of the 4CAS, in case it wasn't mentioned in this thread already, is hooking up a trailer.

This works best if your trailer is well parked on a hard surface.

With the trailer hooked up (this is a one-time thing), move it to the parked position with the truck in OR2.

Drop the jack, disconnect the coupling, wire harness and safety chains.

Lower the truck to Entry/Exit (first time: make sure the ball is out of the coupling) and drive away.

To hook up it's pretty much the reverse.

Lower the truck to Entry/Exit, back up to the coupling (using the rear camera, zoomed in), make your connections and raise to OR2. Lock the coupling, raise the jack and away you go.

It may not always work 100% seamlessly, but I have found that the 4" range of the 4CAS to be sufficient for me.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
Well, I had both Gen 4 (2015) and Gen 5 (2020) 4CAS and no issues with either.

To my inexperienced eye there is no visible difference, except that the sensors are mounted differently. Also, the 5th Gen versions allow you to go into Aero Mode and stay there regardless of speed.

IIRC, there's some difference with the compressor. If I ever knew what the difference was, I've forgotten, but it's supposed to be the thing that makes it more reliable.

Note I'm making no claims if it actually is more reliable or not. I've no idea.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
You're correct, the system was redesigned for 5th gens. There have been very few issues with the 5th gen system reported here and other 5th gen forums. It's been in use for more than five years now. People were reporting multiple problems with the 4th gen system long before its fifth year of production. As with any air suspension system, eventually it will fail though. If I were planning to keep a truck for the long term I'd probably avoid it. As it is now we tend to keep them for three to five years so I'm comfortable getting air suspension.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357