AK47 Sounding Acceleration

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Do y'all have any advice on the intake plenum fix? I have a 1995 Dodge 318 with 118,000 miles, and it sounds like an AK 47 when I'm into it above 2250 rpms.

I looked in the intake and found oil, so my thoughts are a Hughe's plenum fix, complete tune up, and O2 Sensor. Any ideas, tips, suggestions? And does anyone know where to find info on the intake mod? And I know there are tons of forums on plenum fixes, I've read a ton of them. I just can't find the kegger mod, and am afraid of the way it sounds when I get on it. If I need to, I can video it for you guys.

And thank you in advance!

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Thank you for the quick response! I know it's hard to diagnose it without being there, or video. But does the popping on acceleration sound like a Plenum issue, or even like fouling of the plugs from the leaky plenum. Or does it sound like something else? It runs good at idle, but anything above 2250 rpms the left side starts popping, then at 3000 the right side does. I have true dual exhaust, so I can tell which side.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Well thank you then! I'm glad my assumptions were correct.

I do have another question though, do you know anything about the Mopar Performance PCMs? After this all gets fixed, that was my next plan. Is it worthwhile for it, and how much better is it than the stock PCM? I believe I have to run 91 fuel too?

BBartow

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Magnum
From what I know it changes A/F ratio, removes speed limiter, bumps up rev limiter, cuts off A/C Compressor at WOT, adds timing, changes shift points, etc. We have 46RHs so our trannies don't "learn" so the biggest difference is more oomph in the 2000-3500 range. 96+ have 46REs and would benefit from the change in shift points. Worth the 250-280 bucks.

And if I'm wrong about anything, someone correct me because I'm stupid and its late.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
From what I know it changes A/F ratio, removes speed limiter, bumps up rev limiter, cuts off A/C Compressor at WOT, adds timing, changes shift points, etc. We have 46RHs so our trannies don't "learn" so the biggest difference is more oomph in the 2000-3500 range. 96+ have 46REs and would benefit from the change in shift points. Worth the 250-280 bucks.

And if I'm wrong about anything, someone correct me because I'm stupid and its late.

It's late, you're stupid, I'll correct you. ;)

The stock PCM cuts off the A/C at WOT anyway.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
Alrighty then, sweet! Once I get the money saved for the plenum, I'll post a before and after deal on here. And also once I get the performance PCM too a difference before and after.

Also, I know that since it's Performance, it isn't the best MPGs. I'll expect that, but does it drastically kill your mileage? I'm getting 13ish right now, and don't want to buy it and have 8MPG when I'm driving it nicely? Is it a drastic difference in MPGs?

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
I think you can probably see a slight mileage increase of like 1-2 mpg with it if you keep your foot out of it. HOWEVER, it requires premium due to the increased spark advance.

OP
OP
HighTechRedneck

HighTechRedneck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
318 Magnum
I think you can probably see a slight mileage increase of like 1-2 mpg with it if you keep your foot out of it. HOWEVER, it requires premium due to the increased spark advance.

Wow, that's really surprising! I guess another reason to go grab one after the tune up! :happy107: