AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think LEDs bring a whole other level of "finicky". Right now it could be the Alfa settings, or it could be the bulbs themselves.

Some people have no issues with LEDs in the tails, some people do. I think different brands and quality react differently (although more expensive does not necessarily equal better compatibility).

I believe the LasFit brand is pretty popular around here, fairly inexpensive and those who have used them have also posted Alfa settings that were successful in making sure there is no flickering, bulb out warnings, etc.

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I’m having a issue with getting changes to stick. I had a tail light go out so I installed LED bulbs but was getting left/right turn signal bulb out message. So after reading about the AloaOBD I bought the OBDLink MX and Alpaobd for windows.
Got everything working changed brake,tail, turn lights to LED=yes.
Message says it was complete I disconnected let truck set for a while 1-3 hours. Ran to the store and turn signal R,L bulb message came on when I started the truck.
So when I got home I reconnected to truck it shows as LED are set to yes. So I disconnected went inside for a while 20-30 min desided to see is it was still showing message but now all good no message.
So I call it a night and left for work yesterday and the bulb out message was back. While at lunch I connected to truck found led still show as YES. Went back to work but when I left to go home 3-4 he later the message never came back on. But this morning I have the bulb out message again. Is there something I’m doing wrong or not doing?

2014 Ram 3500 Tradesmen only added RA3 other wise it’s the was it came from Ram

Am I reading your post correctly, the LED setting in the BCM is staying set to YES, you're just still intermittently getting the bulb out messages on the cluster?

Assuming that is true, we have seen that the 7" cluster is more sensitive to the bulbs that the smaller clusters, which do you have? (Some that had no bulb out messages with the 3.5" cluster suddenly got them when switching to the 7").

Also, some people have still had issues even after setting the BCM LED options with certain bulbs, mostly inexpensive eBay types.

Disclaimer: This is all from reading what others have gone through here. I've been lucky. I have the projector headlamps and LED tails from the factory so the only bulbs I've needed to replace with LEDs were the Reverse and License Plate lamps. I never got any bulb out messages, even after upgrading the cluster. I only recently changed the BCM setting to LED just to stop the PWM flickering I could see in the reverse camera view.

-K

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I have the 3.5” cluster
Well I did buy the LED off amazon
I think they were $18 a pair. I post some pics of what I’m changing and the bulbs tonight. And a step by step of what I’m doing to see if I did it all correct

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
I’m having a issue with getting changes to stick. I had a tail light go out so I installed LED bulbs but was getting left/right turn signal bulb out message. So after reading about the AloaOBD I bought the OBDLink MX and Alpaobd for windows.
Message says it was complete I disconnected let truck set for a while 1-3 hours. Ran to the store and turn signal R,L bulb message came on when I started the truck.
So when I got home I reconnected to truck it shows as LED are set to yes. So I disconnected went inside for a while 20-30 min desided to see is it was still showing message but now all good no message.
So I call it a night and left for work yesterday and the bulb out message was back. While at lunch I connected to truck found led still show as YES. Went back to work but when I left to go home 3-4 he later the message never came back on. But this morning I have the bulb out message again. Is there something I’m doing wrong or not doing?

I believe that they still have to be canbus leds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins

Try some dielectric grease on the bulb connector. Sounds like an intermittent open.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

walter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ENDPAGE 3157 3156 3057 3056 4157... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1PQ28L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Heres the LEDs I am using

I have it set up as
Brand: Dodge/Ram
Model: Ram 3500(D2/DD/DR)
Function: Body Computer
ECUs: Body computer: MY2013-17 PowerNet
Once connected I go to Active Diagnostic tab
I choose Car Configuration change from the drop down
Then scroll to:
CBC Features -LED Rear turn lamps present: it was no I changed it to YES
Click start wait for it to complete.
I then go back to the first page and disconnect.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
ENDPAGE 3157 3156 3057 3056 4157... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F1PQ28L?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I have it set up as
Then scroll to:

I'm 99% sure you have to have canbus leds for you not to have a light out message. But there may be other settings you can change. I have no idea what these can do.

CBC Features-Single Element Tail Lamp- No
CBC Extern.Light-Left/Right Corner Voltage

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
I'm 99% sure you have to have canbus leds for you not to have a light out message. But there may be other settings you can change. I have no idea what these can do.

I put in full led replacement taillights without any load resistors or capacitors and didn't get light out. The backups where also led and I couldn't turn off the light out. I think the system is expecting a minimum amount of current draw even when set to LED. My full led replacement taillights had enough draw because of the number of leds used. The backups only draw 315ma which doesn't seem to be enough. Guessing you need at least 500ma. Probably the replacement bulbs have the same issue.

There is a option in AlfaOBD to turn off rear dtc completely which solved my backup light issue and should work for the plugin led bulbs.

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

I have it set up as
Then scroll to:
Yeah, with those, you might just have to disable the rear facing bulb out detection. That is, assuming that they are all actually working fine when you get the bulb out warnings.

oldjoe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel

My 2014 was happy with LED's after choosing LED from Alpha. No canbus and I had the light out message before Alpha. I'm sure it varies from year to year and the later years seem to be more difficult.

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
My 2014 was happy with LED's after choosing LED from Alpha. No canbus and I had the light out message before Alpha. I'm sure it varies from year to year and the later years seem to be more difficult.

It seems 2015+ are picky with leds

67Guzzler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Curious -- Did you clear all the error codes? Not sure that should matter but it came to mind.

-Guzzler

Oside5ka

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So I just did my TPMS lowered from 80 to 60 works perfectly but dod have to do it twice to make the idiot light go away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Does anybody know what setting I need to turn on so that I can use my cruise control to idle up the engine 2014 6.7 with g-56
I got my TPMS reprogrammed
Set it to 50 all the way around
So nice

WilliamS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does anybody know what setting I need to turn on so that I can use my cruise control to idle up the engine 2014 6.7 with g-56
I got my TPMS reprogrammed
Set it to 50 all the way around
So nice

High idle is built in, its innthe owners manual

ManualCummins

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Not on manuals
Was only activated on manuals
If you got the pto
The automatic mode will kick in
And raise it to 1000 but it won’t keep it there more than a few minutes

Only on the auto

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Credit is due to all who has done write-ups previously

I know that there are a few step by step instructions on how to add some features. Some are fairly detailed and some I felt could use some help. So I tried to do as detailed write-ups w/pic's for the one's I've used. If there is something that could be added feel free to message me and I'll add/change it. I will try and continue to add more as time allows and as I gain more information and tweak things as I add parts to my truck.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xQvdHVTgRwKQRKSBh1K2rkCqg5dlpSi0

Are you doing this all at once or stopping after each selection... shutting down and restarting the procedure after waiting some time in between??? I went in and completely undid everything then re did everything and it took a good 3 hours sitting in my driveway and I still don’t have it showing up in my radio...

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Not on manuals
Was only activated on manuals
If you got the pto
The automatic mode will kick in
And raise it to 1000 but it won’t keep it there more than a few minutes

Only on the auto
Manual is a 2 step process. I saved this from another forum. AlfaOBD is the dealer step in the ECU.

this is how to do it on a 6 speed.... thank DTR member "wagonfixin" he is the one who wrote the instructions below:thumbsup

So not to confuse the Dealer when he tries to enable the High Idle in the ECM, it's best if you've electro-mechanically "enabled" it first with either Step-1 or Steps-2 thru 3;

1) Buy the $200 clutch-switch kit and install as instructed. - Pass Go - straight to Step 4…

2) Install a "dummy" clutch-switch by shorting the ECM connector-B Pin #22 to ground as follows: (Note this probably circumvents someone’s concept of safe power-train operation as depressing the clutch with this method will not disengage the high-idle "cruise" setting)

2a) Buy a new ECM connector pin (I bought the Cummins Pigtail part number #3164263 for ~$10.00+tax at a local Kenworth dealer) or use an old junk yard harness to salvage a single pin with a ~6"-7" lead.

2b) If you bought the pigtail #3164263, the lead will be too short, so pick up some 18AWG to extend the lead length. The pigtail already comes with a crimp connector and a heat shrink insulator ready for the extension-lead.

- Crimp the ~5" 18AWG extension-lead into the pigtail and hit the heat-shrink sleeve with a heat-gun (or a lighter!!) Please check your own extension-lead lengths before crimping - this ~5" is from my lousy memory !!

- Add a 1/4" ring terminal to the end of the extension lead (this'll connect to a ground post) - I bought the ones with a semi-clear blue "plastic" sleeve, the sleeve is actually a weather-proof heat shrink. Hit the heat-shrink sleeve with some heat.

3) Remove plug B on the ECM (the 50 pin connector on the drivers side of the engine closest to the rear of engine with a 4mm Allen screw in the center). Note: this is probably best done with the both batteries disconnected first (I did mine with the batteries connected - sloppy).

3a) Push (use a paper clip) the sealing plug out of position #22 (starting at to left, count across, there are 50 pins total, #22 is second in from left, third row down) Note: #22 is the PTO/Clutch switch sense terminal (page 8W 80-98 in the shop manual).

3b) Insert the pigtail-lead into the back of the #22 until you feel a positive detent (click), lightly tug the wire to ensure that it's been properly inserted and cannot be removed. Note: Make sure that you've properly identified #22 - if you've put it into the wrong position, you'll probably need to head over to the dealer to use a special pin removal tool...

3c) Reconnect the ECM connector, don't bother trying to push it on, just seat it square on the ECM connector, and carefully thread the 4mm Allen screw until it bottoms out.

3d) Slide the ring-terminal over the lower-left post of the ECM retaining stud (mine stud had an extra ~1" of available thread)

3e) Add a 1/4-28 fine-grade nut to secure the ring-terminal to the ECM retaining stud, torque to... - oh hell - just tighten it !!!

3f) Reconnect the batteries if disconnected.

4) Take the truck to the dealer to enable the High Idle option. On older models, I think it's an actual TSB (18-004-04) to flash/load the ECM - my '06 just needed it to be enabled.

- If your tech can't figure out what/where a high-idle is (mine didn't know) tell him to follow these menu options (I think these are from the DRBIII and not the Star tool which they used on my '06)
- With the ignition in the “RUN” position, using the DRBIIIT select:
-> DRBIII Standalone
-> xxxx - xxxx Diagnostics
-> All (Except Below)
-> Engine
-> Misc. Function
-> Idle Up Feature Enable (the option is in the same place as the daylight running lights)

- Ensure that the after the flash option has been loaded to the ECM (TSB 18-004-04) that it also activated - this is a additional step !! Again - note that on my newer '06 they just had to enable it - not flash it as a TSB !!

5) If your tech knows his ABC's - he will know how to verify if the high-idle has been properly loaded/enabled - if not, here's how the high idle on my 6spd worked:

- Start truck.
- Stay off the clutch (if clutch switch was installed) and service brake pedals (recommend setting the parking brake on your 6 speed !!).
- Turn on "cruise".
- Hit "set".
- The engine should come up to 1,100 rpm.
- Then hit or hold accel;
- Each time you hit accel momentarily it should go up 100 rpm (Max is 1,500 rpm).
- Each time you hit decel momentarily it should go down 100 rpm (Min is 1,100 rpm).
- Hit the service brake pedal, the RPM's should drop back down to the normal ~750.
- Hit the "set" button, it should run back up to 1100 rpm.
- Hit "cruise" to turn off cruise and the RPM's should drop back down to the normal ~750.

6) If you have any follow on TSB's that flash the ECM, remind the service manager (or better yet the tech) to ensure that high-idle is to be re-enabled following the TSB flash. Mine was disabled after applying the 18-003-06 hard-start TSB last week.

7) Smugly recall the fella who posted his stout-lumber stick "High Idle Management Interface" picture next time you're at a long light out in the flatlands and hit your "Cruise, Set" buttons... Don't roll into the intersection !!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Are you doing this all at once or stopping after each selection... shutting down and restarting the procedure after waiting some time in between??? I went in and completely undid everything then re did everything and it took a good 3 hours sitting in my driveway and I still don’t have it showing up in my radio...

For drl's no. If you are going to change something else also than yes turn your truck off and wait a minute. Each truck is different for the options to show up in the radio. Mine was there about 15 minutes later others have said it took hour's for it to appear.